Thumbprint requirement in VA state

I have a question in VA state for loan signing do we need a thumbprint on journal, most borrowers object on thumbprint on journal as you don’t need a thumbprint . Please assist me on this issue

Thank you

Anoop Pathak

Anoop, there is no journal requirement in VA.* I don’t ask signers for signature or t-print. Unnecessary. Since the Commonwealth doesn’t mandate, the data I choose to keep in my journal is limited to what I need to prove the notarial acts themselves. I can recommend my Best Practice Journal to you - as it is a comprehensive & useful guide for learning notarial function and recording important elements to help reconstruct a transaction if asked.

*Electronic notaries must maintain

I am in Va and I do ask for a thumbprint for my journal and I do not have any problems actually the borrowers are more than happy to do it. Not a requirement but I believe serves as a secondary security feature God forbids something happens down the road like 5-10 yrs and signer protest that it was not them that signed and I’m subpoenaed to court with my journal. It works for me.

Frankly, I thought there was no requirement to maintain your Virginia Notary book. I am equipped with the finger print pad and the ink wipes easily and freely from the hand.

1 Like

No, there is no legal requirement in Virginia for a thumbprint in your notary log.