Title Error ='s Notary doesn't get paid? (!)

Unfortunately, yes, that’s common when you work direct for much higher TC fees. Also, unfortunately, with the advent of TCs using platforms and trying to get cheap labor at SS fees, this has become a major problem and pain point. What you need to do is address the problem before it happens…but be aware that they may not agree and so move on. You can also politely ask for some compensation and hope for compassion.

1 Like

Thank you for your response Arichter.

I have been successful in getting a “print fee” if I have already printed the docs - $25 is usually the fee.

1 Like

Thank you. Next time I will suggest a print fee amount and see what happens.

1 Like

You should have been paid a trip and print fee.

1 Like

Don’t wait 'til next time! Politely request something now. You’ve got nothing to lose by asking. The way they figure…we hire you often, pay you well and no-signs are rare, we receive nothing, so neither do you. BUT, if ALL of that statement isn’t true (& it probably isn’t if they’re using one of the ‘platforms’ looking for cheap) you should ask.

3 Likes

I have gotten a travel fee and print fee.

1 Like

Yes, for printing the docs.

This scenario is called a “No Sign.”

You’ve earned a Trip Fee to the signing location and a Print Fee.

Also, the re-scheduled appointment fee should be at the SAME amount as the originally scheduled fee for the full signing, print, and trip fees.

I ask for print and travel fee if it is canceled. I never print until it is confirmed and min of 24hrs before appointment time.

Asking this rudimentary question means you don’t value you time and effort and costs incurred. It happened to me during one such sale, however husband died and title did not know, agent knew and perhaps she was being un-truthful in not disclosing this and wanted her commission faster. That is fraud. Could have lost the realtor license.

I had negotiated fee to $150 and got paid 1/2 of it.
The same signing came up to me a few days later, and I said no thanks and sent it to someone else.

Reputable signing services give you half off on the signing fee. Some others give you just a fixed amount towards print trip fee. If you contract directly with a title company , make your terms known, or add these costs to the next signing fee of include it in your invoice for the “ABORTED” signing.

In this case , you must get paid full. IMO. Ask and demand such payment. Don’t be shy.
Title companies make $400 and above as closing fee. So there is ample room to pay you and still skim money off that fee.

I’m new so some of the abbreviations are unknown: what is a TC, SS. What are companies like Coast2Coast Signings called (I call them brokers)?

Title Companies hire Signing Services to find a notary when they can’t or don’t want to bother. Guess you could call SS brokers, but we generally don’t. Coast2coast would be considered a SS. Further complicating the whole thing is some TCs own an SS. Then there are ‘platforms’–who hire nobody but can be used by all hiring parties to locate a notary.

In my view, the Title Company and the Signing Agent have an informal contract. They made an OFFER for you to complete a service (get the docs they provided signed correctly); and ACCEPTANCE - you accepted the OFFER and completed the signing as directed. Those are the basic tenants of a contract. I had that happen one time with a Signing Service and they balked at paying me until I stopped being nice and stated clearly “I completed the signing with the documents you provided, I fully expect to be paid.” Now if you made a mistake and want me to back out that is another and separate fee.

I see too often Notaries are meek and mild about being paid and afraid of upsetting someone. You are a business person and need to stand up for yourself. Otherwise you will continue to be “used and abused” by the many Signing Services out there.

I was wondering if you have ever used any of these platforms that are more of a “directory”? I keep getting marketing emails from Notary Guide in Las Vegas.

Nope. I stick with the Big 3, (& platforms–as long as they don’t charge me) plus the worthless NNA listing–only because it’s free w/required Background Ck. It’s your money; spend it wisely. ASKING: Has anyone here paid to list with subject directory? And…was it worth the fee?

Thank you. I have not yet paid for a listing with anyone. However I want business to pick up so I am busy all the time. I have 50 signings completed but it took two months to achieve that. I am still singing up with services though. I will get there.

I think 50 signings in 2 months is an astounding number for a newb. Hope you’re pricing yourself wisely and not doing $90 jobs. If you can’t get more jobs; just make sure you’re fairly paid for the jobs you are doing…or as has been said many times here: Work smarter; not harder.

Your response would’ve been fine without this nonsense. Just sayin.

“Asking this rudimentary question means you don’t value you time and effort and costs incurred.”

At first I was accepting lower paying jobs so I could get the experience. I am also a single mom and this is my career now. I am now getting much better at being selective. I also counter and it is usually accepted.

1 Like