Title Producer License

Has anyone heard of Title producer License to get assignments as a Notary Signing Agent?

Yes - required in several states - MD and Indiana come to mind off the top of my head; Minnesota has a license for closers - not TPL but closer license.

I had to get on here in Indiana, that thing was a total of $380 to take the class and then apply for the license. I did learn a little bit from the class but it was boring and long,

Hi- can expound further for MD? A friend of mine was asked to get this for MD. Why would this be required if the notary is not issuing or negotiating anything, but only securing the signatures?

A person must be licensed by the Maryland Insurance Commissioner to conduct business in Maryland. It is the title insurer’s responsibility to see that all appointed TIPs and TIPICs are appropriately licensed.​

A TIP is a person (individual or company), including an attorney, who solicits, procures, or negotiates title insurance contracts for compensation or who provides escrow, closing, or settlement services that may result in the issuance of a title insurance contract.

A TIPIC is an independent contractor, including an attorney, who provides on behalf of a TIP escrow, closing, or settlement services that may result in the issuance of a title insurance contract. A TIPIC must be a commissioned notary in order to witness documents.​

2 Likes

Thank you MsZee - I was going to refer her to the Maryland Insurance Commission… :slight_smile:

1 Like