Title vs Signing Agencies

Can’t seem to get paid by signing agency. Any suggestions or comments if I were to contact Title company directly. of course would not mention problems with signing agency but want to work directly with them.

Check your contract with the Signing company. Most have a “no contact” clause that states you cannot advertise your services directly to the title company. However, if the signing company did not pay you, they broke the contract and you have perfect right to contact the title company for your unpaid fees. It is ultimately the responsibility of the Title Company to make sure everyone on the closing sheet is paid (and be assured, your fee is listed there even if included with another fee).

You may however do a yellow or white pages search and blanket contact all the title companies in your area and offer your services. This way you are not targeting the “signing” companies clients, you are merely doing a blanket advertisement.

I am not an attorney and do not intend this message to be legal advice. You should always contact an attorney when seeking contractual advise.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I have been going back and forth with a title company for payment since December 2015. First, they said the check was returned ‘undeliverable’ to my PO Box. Then they said it was returned from my home address.
I have sent them a second, last and final notices. Since they can’t seem to pay me, I’ve taken my concerns to the Better Business Bureau. Maybe you should go to the BBB as well: find out how others in your community feel about doing business with them.

Which company is doing this to you?

Kensington Research and Recovery in Chicago. Are you familiar with them?

I have not heard of Kensington but am making a list of bad companies so that if I hear from someone new, I look at my list.

1 Like

The Notary Spot, they are saying they pay within 30 days, but after many attempts, I finally got paid after 45-50 days.

I had this same issue some time ago. After several requests for payments were ignored I started to send them a daily invoice using their prepaid FedEx account. After 5 days they finally settled. I no longer deal with them. Frankly, I avoid Signing Companies like the plague. Finding a relationship with a Title Company is heaven.

3 Likes

Hello there GMacaloon
do you have a strategy in play that you could share on how to get in the door of Title Companies? I have tried local ones, but it seems they have their “regulars” .

Contact the Better Business Bureau where the signing agency is located. You can go online and fill out a complaint with BBB. I have done this and they do respond. Also, the NNA has sample letters for collection. Approach non-payment as a business matter and go after the deadbeats!

I had a company in Arizona that owed me over $900. I was so frustrated, I went to their dept. of finance and filed a complaint. It took a year, but I finally got my money!

Gladys

2 Likes

Good job in demanding payment for your services. You should also get interest on the money owed to you just like credit card transactions do if not paid in 30 days. Keep us posted.

I have been waiting a year and still not paid. No one answers the phone, or replys to emails. Not sure what to do? To costly to sue.

some title companys prefer to have a signing company to handle that portion of the loan. If I don’t get paid by the signing company, I do contact the title company to let them know that the signing company is not paying their notaries. They will drop that signing company and find another. Sometimes they will get involved and they will contact the signing company, and then you will get paid.