Trustee or not Trustee? (that's the question Sherlock)

Recently I had a very interesting situation. Docs arrived and there was NO mention of any special instruction (other than two words; time sensitive).

On the Note AND on the Deed of Trust (this is in California if that makes a difference for any Notary) two signatures were required for each party (husband/wife). One line just had their name, so I had them sign that way (Adam Jones). The line underneath had: Adam Jones as trustee of the Adam Jones trust… so I had them sign Adam Jones, Trustee.

Three days later I’m back at the signers table and the Note and Deed of Trust have to be resigned as Adam Jones with no trustee what-so-ever.

Lesson (for me): Whatever is logical, it’s not. I’ll call the Title, the broker, the signing company, the priest in charge and the Lord Almighty (anyone got his direct line?) to get clarification, cause … they CAN change their mind and you’re out of time and $$$.
Cheers

1 Like

Always an issue. Every co. has its own preferred way. I always just e-mail & ask how they want it. Get reply in writing.
End of problem.

5 Likes

Unless there are specific instructions, I always have them sign name only. Never had a problem.

1 Like