Trying to work directly with title companies

Hi, everyone. I was hoping you would give me some advice on how to begin a conversation with title companies.

Basically, how do I ask them for signings. I have the contact info of someone I really want to work with but I don’t know what to say to make it sound professional and to make me sound like a desirable person to work with. I am fairly new and do not have a lot of signings under my belt so it’s not like I can say I have done this amount of signings because they will not be interested.

I really need some advice!

They will usually find you once you’ve proven yourself as they are not as forgiving nor hand-holding as the usual signing services.
On the other hand, it doesn’t hurt to talk to them and provide your contact info.

1 Like

Really, would they find me through signing services? I thought that we were supposed to be putting our selves out there to title companies. But I do understand what you mean about no hand holding, they expect the best right off the bat.

1 Like

There is no one fool-proof method to get business from title companies - the best method is the one that happens to work for you! All you can do is ask for the business and be upfront about the fact that you are new, you never know - a title company may be super busy at the end of the month or they may need an emergency out of the office signing done or their “regular” notary may be sick / unavailable and they could remember your name.
You can also go to realtor events that title officers may attend as well. A face to face meeting with good rapport and an exchange of business cards may do the trick.
As Arichter stated title companies aren’t really that forgiving of mistakes - they expect you to know what you are doing without them having to help you. In their mind, if they have to “help” you why do they need you at all? So be sure you are ready when you start marketing to title companies.
It’s really a numbers game - the more people you give your info to the more likely one is to use you. And it also just takes a bit of luck! :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you, that is great advice and you are right. It might be best to just be upfront because I will feel more comfortable asking questions if I do happen to come across any.

Hi Vanessa,
I have been a signing agent for 21 years now and my main clients have always been the Escrow/Title companies. I rarely accept any signing company jobs for the exception of 3 that I really like. Go in and introduce your self with the front desk and always leave a handful of cards. Always, collect their business cards that are usually out front with the receptionist. This is a great way to followup with each that you had stopped by etc. Good luck and have a great day.

2 Likes

I am a beginner signing agent in CA and all the escrow and title companies I would like to work with require 2 years experience. I now have to work with signing services for the next two years and have not received a single request. I have been in the mortgage lending for the past 25 years. Feeling frustrated!

I am a “sort of” newbie. Have been told by several veterans that the way to get work with individual clients is to first prove yourself with services. Once you have several signings (perfect) under your belt (in several months maybe) then you can go out with references of solid closing experience. That made good sense to me. Unfortunatey, before I received that great wisdom, I learned the hard way. Was going to go directly to titel companies inn a small town near our lake house. They were very welcoming and friendly, and encouraging . … but they never gave me a chance. Now I understand why. I did not know what I did not know. I have now worked for a year with agencies and will go out the summer to those same title companies and re-plead my case ,with experience and back up on my side. It’s slow, but it’s certain to benefit you to take your time to learn it the right way. I might add that I had the best training in the world with N2P and NNA, yet still didn’t realize the extent of my ignorance. There is only so much you can learn from classes. The rest just takes time. Good luck

2 Likes