Type of Printer

I recently became a certified signing agent. Do I need to purchase a laser printer or can I use an inkjet?

You need a laser. One that can feed from at least 2 different sources and pick either letter size or legal size paper would be best. (Fixed the error LindaH pointed out.)

1 Like

You can usually find this type of printer used on eBay fairly reasonably priced. Look for low copy count. Inkjet is a no-no.

I think Ashton meant you need a laser printer - dual tray is nice and more convenient but, yes, you need a “laser” printer - inkjet will not do as the ink bleeds and fades - laser "fuses’ to the paper with no bleeding.

You can buy a relatively cheap single tray printer to get started - but two trays will help your jobs print faster. Brother is cheaper, but iMO Hewlett Packard is a better, sturdier printer (but more expensive). That’s just personal preference.

1 Like

I use a single tray inkjet printer and use HP’s ink plan. I print 2,000 to 4,000 pages a month. Never had an issue with ink “bleeding”. I have owned this all-in-one HP printer when I started being a signing agent and it does an adequate job. I am now contemplating purchasing a dual tray laser printer. If I was starting my signing agent career without a good printer, I would definitely invest in a dual tray printer laser with 20+ page document feeder. I really don’t understand why lenders and title companies use legal size paper.

it is a legal requirement in real estate documents for laser. could affect you in court if it ever comes up. just saying. i’ve worked for an attorney who’s office building had a fire. the water sprinklers did not ruin the documents because they were laser printed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

brother HL-L5200DDW
dual tray laser printer. my 2nd one in 10 years… both bought on amazon.

i also had a back up brother single tray printer i bought from sam’s and changed the paper out for regular and legal…it worked great too.
BUY YOUR TONER AND DRUMS FROM SUPPLIESOUTLET.COM they are awesome. don’t void a warranty and work great! fast shipping and 1/5th the price of toner retail price.