UPDATE - AB 199 is finished!

My fellow notaries, Happy New Year! 2019 was a very busy year for notaries not only in CA but all over our nation. Let’s keep the momentum going in the new decade.

Over the weekend I received news that the author (Majority Leader Ian Calderon) of AB199 - The CA Online Notary Act of 2019, has decided not to push the amended version of the bill that was put together after the November stakeholders meeting so, it’s finished. This Friday I will be in Sacramento proposing an amendment to lawmakers that will update current code to cease out of state notaries from performing remote Notarizations for signers in CA. Also, I will keep my ear to the ground and let you know if another lawmaker reintroduces AB199.

I will continue the fight to protect notaries and the public at large from predatory tech companies weakening the office of notary public. Thank you for all of your continued support. If you would like to join me on Friday, please DM me. The more the merrier. If you cannot attend but would like to support, you may do so on our Go Get Funding page.

www.Gogetfunding.com/opposeab199

5 Likes

Thank you for all you are doing. I was wondering if you have decided whether you will perform remote notarizations when this goes through–as I think it will. I will not be doing them because I think there is too much liability.

1 Like

You are welcome. For now remote notarization law is on hold in CA. However, I plan to work on an online notary bill this summer that is written by ca notaries for ca notaries and propose it next year. if it passes under our terms, then yeah, I would certainly consider it.

Hello Matt,
Can you explain exactly what this means in your recent post please. We have been agents since 2001.
thank you

Sorry forgot to add your quote to last reply:

“However, I plan to work on an online notary bill this summer that is written by ca notaries for ca notaries and propose it next year. if it passes under our terms, then yeah, I would certainly consider it.”

Good News! My proposal to protect CA consumers from out of state online notaries has been sent to the Legislative Council’s office for mark up. We’ve cleared the first deadline hurdle! Also, two lawmaker’s office are working on how they can either take up my proposal as a stand-alone bill or fold it into another bill concerning the same part of the code. We now have until Feb. 21st to cross the next deadline hurdle. As always I will keep you posted.