**URGENT** New TX NSA, 1st Assignment TONIGHT!

I’ve only had my NSA for 2 weeks, and I was called yesterday about a refi signing at 6pm tonight. I’m in Austin, and the CC is in the Dallas-area.

1. I cannot find a website for the CC based on their email address.

2. They contacted me about 2:30pm yesterday, and offered me only $100. I told them it’s happening on Friday evening on a holiday weekend, and that I should be offered more. They balked and asked why they should pay me more if I’ve never done this before. A little combative, if you ask me.

3. The CC has not seen the loan paperwork, so they can’t tell me anything about it.

4. I received their email instructions, and immediately contacted the borrower. Then, I texted back confirmation to the CC that I confirmed the appointment with the borrower.

5. As of this writing, which is now almost 11:30am the day of the signing, I have heard nothing from the CC. I’m starting to freak out, and I’ve had to put my entire day on hold for something I may or not get paid to do.

So, I have a few questions that I hope a seasoned veteran would gladly answer.

1. How long does it take to prepare for a signing, and how much padded time should I allow myself to scan the documents and apply the Post-Its?

2. How soon after you receive an assignment from a CC do you receive your eDocs?

3. In your humble opinion, does it sound like I am getting scammed?

Your prompt reply is greatly appreciated!

From Austin to Dallas is at the very least a 2 hr. trip, so at $100 (or even 4 times that) yes, you’re getting screwed. Not scammed–you agreed. If I were you, I’d give it back immediately…period. This is simply way too far to travel & there are a lot of notaries in Dallas who apparently have already turned down $100. Know you want to get your feet wet, but, please, not with this one. Docs can arrive as little as 2 hrs. prior. The prepping you’re talking about will probably take 1/2 hr to 1 hr.
Just save yourself a lot of grief and GIVE IT BACK NOW.

2 Likes

I misunderstood ‘CC’…and frankly have no idea what you mean by CC (except by context)… it’s SS for Signing Svc. or TC for Title Co.
If the signing location is actually within about 10 miles of your location AND the pkg. isn’t over 125 or so pages, this fee might be OK. You should e-mail & let them know you need docs at least 3 hrs. prior to appt…or whatever you’re comfortable with.

CC = Contracting Company

Sorry, I’m new to this whole thing.

The signing contracting service is in the Dallas-area. The signing is about 20 miles away from where I live, so it’s not far.

The signing service has not asked me for any of my credentials, my NNA background check, and they have not provided me with a W9.

In contrast, I received a call from a signing company in PA at noon wanting me to do a signing at 2pm today, and they offered me $150. Before I was given information about the assignment, they asked me for my commissions, my E&O, my NNA background check, a W9, a copy of my drivers license, and they asked me to sign a Code of Conduct, because the signing was for a Wells Fargo refi.

Sadly, and hour later, I got an email saying that they did not have enough time to process my credentials in time for a 2pm signing, and said they would get back to me if they could reschedule with the borrower for today.

Is it common for signing companies to back out of deals like that?

Not common, but if Lender wants ‘whatever’, Lender gets. Time was pretty tight on this, so I do understand their reasoning.

Who is the company? And have you heard anything further about your 6:00 appointment for tonight? If not, I’d say it’s a safe guess they got another notary.

You said “The signing service has not asked me for any of my credentials, my NNA background check, and they have not provided me with a W9.” - they don’t provide you with a W-9 - you give that to THEM so they can pay you - that’s the equivalent of giving your social security number to your employer for tax purposes.

And, speaking of, have you obtained and EIN? Never NEVER NEVER give them your social security number. Go to irs.gov and get an EIN and that’s the number under which they pay you. Takes 5 minutes to get it.

Good luck. Hope this signing works out for you.

Four to five hour trip, depending on where in Dallas. Some people like to include places like Frisco, McKinney Falls, and various suburbs with Dallas. But the fact of the matter is that Frisco is about 35 - 45 minutes north of downtown Dallas. And then, there may be traffic. Good luck.

I would never drive that far for $100. Pass

Folks…the hiring party is in Dallas…the actual signing venue is only about 20 miles from her…

I think you misunderstood me. I was not asked to drive to Dallas to do a signing. I was asked by a contracting company in Dallas to do a signing in Austin, 20 miles from my house.

I was concerned that the contracting company might not be legitimate, or at the very least shady, because they did not ask for my credentials.

I ended up accepting the offer, and did my very first signing. I did not make money on this deal. Everything that could have happened on my first signing. The contracting company sent me the loan docs less than 1 hour before I was supposed to be at the borrowers home, which caused me to be late. The borrowers did not tell me they would have me do the signing on a folding table outside their house. The co-borrower’s name was misspelled on the legal documents. It got dark outside during the signing. The borrowers didn’t have lights on their driveway, so they had to turn on the headlights from their car so we could see. It wasn’t pretty, but I got it done.

I’m sorry that happened to you. I’m sure you were nervous. It will get better. I

The average signing time will vary, depending on the size of the package and how closely the borrower wants to scrutinize the documents, but on average you should plan on 45 minutes to an hour (for 2 signers) for a refinance… I would never drive 2 hours each way for $100. You’ll use up more in drive time and gas than the job is worth. You should be paid a minimum of double to drive that distance.

Get used to the fact that signing agents are not paid more for nights, weekends or even holiday weekends. We are expected to do the job for the same price no matter when, even if its 3:00 am on Christmas morning. Fair? Of course not! Why does it happen? Because we let it. It’s up to us as individuals to set our terms, not just accept “whatever” crumbs are offered because if we don’t take it someone else will.

One suggestion that I would have for you is to never tell someone that you’ve never done this before. It’s just a license for them to take advantage of you. If you act and talk like you know what you’re doing, it will be easier to bend people to your point of view.

1 Like