Using Adobe to pre-fill in some documents ahead of the signing

I like your idea. I can’t get it to work. I followed your directions but no text box appears. Also the pdf I used to try this out says it’s locked. You’ve been doing this with every pdf you receive??? If so, what am I doing wrong?

You are correct Arichter, some are locked but not that many are, most are unlocked. For me it’s been maybe one out of 20 is locked.

Thanks for that info. I had to test the 1 that’s locked, of course.

Also make sure you’re opening it from your desktop in Adobe Reader. The Fill & Sign won’t appear if you open the document directly on the vendor’s site using a browser’s PDF reader.

This is a great idea!

Yes, that is an awesome way to do it! That is why God made Adobe!

1 Like

Jerrypb, I, too, use the Fill feature in Acrobat DC for my notarial certificates, and have since discovering that Adobe added the feature two years ago. Using this feature saves me time, and also ensures that the names of the signers and the transaction date are correct, as I only have to enter them once, then simply click on the drop down for each subsequent fill. One suggestion (which I am sure you have discovered for yourself): Delete old similar dates/names regularly from the drop down, to reduce the length of the list and thereby further reduce the risk of error. Great suggestion, thanks for passing it on!

1 Like

I found a free online tool that unlocks locked documents so they can be fill & signed using Adobe. I’m so exited I almost can’t stand it lol. https://online2pdf.com/remove-pdf-restrictions# I had a huge document with a pair of unbelievably long Indian names that would have taken me hours to complete by hand so I was desperate to find a way to unlock the locked document so I could use Fill & Sign. Not to mention the spaces for the names in the acknowledgements were nowhere large enough to legibly handwrite the names into them. I just used that free online tool and it worked great!!!

3 Likes

Hi Jerry. I’m a new Notary and ran into this problem just last week. I had a husband and wife whose first and last names both were too long for the line. I get what you’re saying. I appreciate the tip as writing it all on that one line ended up looking like an afterthought rather than something I was proud of.

1 Like

There’s another nice thing that Adobe’s Fill & Sign can do to make your notary forms look better. I occasionally receive pre-printed Notary forms with the wrong State and/or County pre-printed on them. Rather than do a messy-looking cross-out and initials with the correct state/county following, I use Fill & Sign to remove the wrong state and/or county. Click on the big round black dot to change the color of the fill & sign font from black to clear. Then select the underline to place clear lines over the wrong state or county. 4-5 of them stacked on top of each other are enough to erase the incorrect wording. Then reselect black for the text color, type the desired text into the block, then move it into the correct position. Place the text box elsewhere to be filled in then move it into position or it will undo some of the text erasure you just did Done properly you’d never know the wrong state or county was there. Takes me less than a minute which when I have enough time before the signing is no big deal. It sure looks better if you’re a little OCD or care how your documents look as I do.

1 Like

Good tips! I use Adobe Fill and Sign tools regularly. I’ll keep your notes on my desk.

An ACK or Jurat is “not” considered a lender document. It is normally a “State” mandated document and as long as the state approved “verbiage” is correct, you will never have an issue with a Lender or Escrow Company.

2 Likes

i do my own acknowledgements and jurats this way. I will cross through the one on the document and state “see attached”. in CA we have required language on each ack and jurat that a lot of title companies do not include anyway.

I called NNA and this is acceptable, as is a pre-inked stamp. Also, there is an online converter to unlock the pdf. It’s called Unlock PDF. online2pdf.com/remove-pdf-restrictions

1 Like

Hi Jerry. I just read this post. What an excellent idea! My question is this: how do you get the type to go above the line so it looks uniform all throughout the document? It seems like I have to place the cursor at exactly the right spot on the line or else it is too far up from the line or it’s below the line. Any tips? Thank you.

1 Like

Point… be careful of using online pdf unlock sites. Some of them retain copies of documents. There are desktop tools that do the same thing.

Everything in my business that can be digital is. I do not keep paper where the law does not demand I do. I keep blank, read only pdf templates for office use. My partner has the habit of overwriting forms so I restricted that ability and it forces her to “save as”

Our clientele has expressed their approval of the professionalism of the forms I use. Names, dates, verbiage is all typed in & legible.

Acrobat Pro has a “Prepare Form” feature (not sure if Reader does). It scans & detects form fields then makes them fillable. It almost always recognizes fields correctly for me. When it fails I simply create the fields myself. Again… I don’t think Acrobat Reader has this feature.

Acrobat Pro cost. Adobe has switched to a subscription model like so many other companies. It was a few hundred for a perpetual license when I purchased it. I don’t think you can get that license anymore.

Adobe does not have the market cornered on PDF tools. A number of others provide tools that offer the same and better features.

My prefered software is made by FoxIt. It is my default PDF utility. I typically use Acrobat if FoxIt fails. That’s a rare thing. Foxit PhantomPDF is 129.99 for standard (what most would need) & 179.99 for the business edition. They also have a free pdf reader.

Their software is usually less resource intensive than Adobe product.

There is also CutePDF, Nitro PDF, PDF Forge, PDF Expert (Mac) etc. etc.

Find what works for you & your budget.

You can check sites like stacksocial etc for huge discounts on software and services that can be of use to your business.

I use Fill & Sign as much as possible. I have found that some title companies (Amrock for one) will not allow you to fill in . Soo Sad.

Premiernotary, once you have the text created, you can place your cursor on the border ot the text block and while holding the mouse click button down, drag the text to wherever you want it.

de1c1na you can use Fill & Sign to your heart’s content in the notary Ack and Jurat forms, they are your forms. Even if they have blocked Fill & Sign, you can still use a good unlocking site like https://online2pdf.com/ (who does NOT save copies of the documents) to complete the notary forms. I regularly do that for neatness, speed, and accuracy reasons. They cannot block your ability to use a tool like that in the notary forms.

Metzger_nsa the notary certificates are ours, not theirs. I have done 500+ signings using fill & sign in my notary forms without any complaints from the 15-20 signing companies I work with including First American, Fidelity National Title Group, etc.