Using Adobe to pre-fill in some documents ahead of the signing

You claimed it would be illegal in every situation for a notary to change a pdf before printing it and getting it signed (unless the notary got permission first), right?

If that’s what you’re saying, then I disagree. The notary certificates are almost always in the pdf that comes from the client. In my state, the notary has the authority and duty to change these certificates to make them correct. It doesn’t matter where the certificate was written, where it will be recorded, where the signer lives, where the bank is located. Every time a signer appears before a Vermont notary and a certificate is completed and signed by a Vermont notary, the notary must make sure the certificate complies with Vermont law, which may mean changing the certificate.

Unless I get permission, I don’t change the certificates in the pdf before I print them. Either I print them and change them with a pen, or I strike them out and attach a loose certificate. That’s my method. But if some other Vermont notary decided to change the certificates in the pdf, it wouldn’t be illegal.

1 Like

Agree ~ WA State font size is minimum 10

I think someone in this thread has gotten a little overbearing. When we are doing signings, it is always ok for us the notary/LSA to make the required changes/corrections to OUR NOTARY FORMS whether they are in .pdf format and we use something like Adobe Reader to do so, or if we cross out and correct information like states & counties with our pens. It makes no difference, notary acknowledgments and jurats are OUR forms, not the lender’s. Let’s not get pumped up on ourselves so much that we argue about such petty things like if we can edit/correct our notary forms or not. Of course we can.

6 Likes

I’m gonna start doing this to my notary certificates for loan packets! Thanks for sharing great information! I’ve also saved the How to unlock PDF in Acrobat just in case I need it.

Another tip…some docs restrict you using Fill and Sign by saying that the creator has determined what fields you can fill in. Go to Print, Print to PDF, and rename it. It will then let you access it. If that doesn’t work, use “Prepare Form” if you are using Acrobat DC. It’s $15/mo and totally worth it.

4 Likes

I love having the time available to fill in the pdf docs before the signing appt. it’s the best feeling :rofl:

3 Likes

Months ago, I went to pre-inked stamps for my exp. date, my name and title, and my name alone! It has saved me a ton of time! I will begin to use adobes fill & sign. I do have a question; If the ack is on the same page that the client signs is it acceptable to use my own acknowledgment form?

1 Like

If the Ack is on one of their forms, you can still use Fill & Sign to complete the information required on the Ack. The Ack is your form, even when it’s on one of their pages. I’ve been doing that for years without problem. :slight_smile:

If the pre-printed certificate is substantially different from what my state requires, so that striking out the bad parts and writing in new language would make a mess, I attach a separate certificate sheet. I do the same if there isn’t room on the page for my stamp.

I’ve read there are one or two states where a mortgage or deed won’t be recorded unless the signer’s signature and the notary’s signature are on the same page. If that was the case, and the pre-printed certificate wasn’t satisfactory, I’d have to ask the title company to provide a reformatted document that had a place for the signer’s signature as well as a satisfactory notary certificate.

1 Like

@ashton Yes you are correct & this is what we are supposed to do. Changing a title or lender document that has the notary acknowledgment on it is NOT ok (unless you ask and have permission prior to doing so from the specific company you are working with) and it must be coming around to bite the industry in the arse now because I just had a signing where the signing instructions emphatically spelled out that under NO Circumstances is a notary to alter any documents with Adobe!!! @jerrypb Also NNA cannot tell you what is and isn’t OK if the lender or title company is telling you they won’t accept. NNA is a resource but in the end title / lender are calling the shots and you’re working for them. The only document YOU are in control of is your own completed and printed notary acknowledgment which you can type and attach to any notarized document that doesn’t have room for the stamp or full names/information, etc. As a person who works in mortgage lending and formerly title, yes I do know what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

Some States require a wet seal (stamp) on a document. Other States will allow the Notary to affix their seal by printing on the document. You can use a scanned copy your seal to affix it to a document before printing the page. I know this goes against some practice standards but it’s not unlawful. In other words know your State’s laws.

I have been a NSA for almost 20 years and I have been using Adobe fill & sign for most of that time, doing exactly what Jerry is doing and never had a complaint from any title or mortgage company.

2 Likes

I’ve (at Jerry’s suggestion) only used it with one co. (who even sent out an e-mail blast notice saying NOT to do this). I still do as they only give you a line this long ______________ in which I can no way legibly print 2 borrowers looooong names. My point is: seems to be mostly OK, but you may get pushback from a few.

Too many aren’t noticing that we’re talking about using Fill & Sign on our Acks and Jurats. Those are OUR forms and the signing company can’t tell us how to complete them or not to use Fill & Sign on them. Pay no attention to those signing organizations who mindlessly try to tell us we can’t use Fill & Sign anywhere at all. I believe those who say that are incorrectly interpreting instructions that we notaries can’t use Fill & Sign on their documents. That is correct for THEIR documents but Acks & Jurats are OUR documents, even though they provide them… for our use.

3 Likes

I rank this tip as one of the best I have gotten, ever. Docs are so much neater, and it’s much faster to complete the acknowledgements and jurats by typing instead of writing the words in.

1 Like

Great suggestion, thank you!

My FAVORITE tool!!! Use it on 99% of my documents. So worth the little extra $$$

I have been using this tool for 6 years. My documents are neat, professional and my lenders love it. I also get direct calls. I have only received 1 call, which was kinda funny. The question was if the signing was done electronically, due to information typed in. I informed them that I always go over documents before each signing and prepare the documents and directed them to the 'wet" signatures. More than likely it was a new company.
Also, I have found this is a great tool for scanning the documents before signing and finding lender errors or discrepancies before the signing. If I have to call the lender due to an error I found in the pkt, they greatly appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thanks Jerry. Clear, concise and to the point.

1 Like

This is amazing, is tittle okay with typed info ? I would love to do this as well, I just thought we had to do it by hand …?

2 Likes