W-9 ( SSN vs TIN vs Fed EIN )

Well, IMO they need to look into that deeper and change that policy. They have no right to demand your SSN - they are not paying you, the individual - you are not a W-2 employee, you’re an independent contractor with an EIN.

So you’re saying all those notaries who are signed up on SD have listed their SSN there? I know a few who have been in business for a very long time who would not fall for that - so I’m thinking there has to be a way to use the EIN. I can’t imagine those veteran notaries giving their SSN - but then again I can’t imagine ANY notary listing their SSN on any website…that’s just identity theft looking to happen.

You can be listed on Snapdocs without having Vendor Pay so possibly the notaries you are thinking of are not on Vendor Pay. But if you want to be on Vendor Pay you must give your SS# and there is no way around it. You can look at the signup form and try to sign up using an EIN and you will see you can’t do it. It only accepts SS#. Felicia says it’s required, period… They have enough people signed up, I guess, so they can do whatever they want…

I agree with Linda and would never give out my social security number to anyone. It’s my EIN or nothing. We have already had some attempted fraudulent tax filings using my husband’s number! They need to change their policy and that would happen if no one would give them their personal social security numbers!

I understand how much most guys are scary about sharing their SSN with (nearly) total strangers, but that’s the only way you have as an individual, according to the form’s instructions: w9.pdffiller.com And you also can register an EIN in order to protect your identity

Because you will be filling out a lot of w9s, you may want to consider getting either a TIN or EIN, it will help protect yourself from identity theft is the big thing. I went through that back in 2016 and still dealing with the aftermath to this day.

Apply for an EIN through the IRS and it’s free and you will get your number right away and us it on your w9 instead of using your SSN, much safer option

I’m sorry - I just saw this and this is not correct; there is a place to put your business name AND a place to put your Employer Identification Number (EIN). Wanted to respond to this before saying…

Again, I am sorry but I don’t see how SnapDocs and/or Felicia has the right to say they won’t pay you if you don’t give your SSN - if you’re doing business with an EIN you HAVE to give them that - in fact, you should have a separate business bank account WITH that EIN - but SnapDocs and Felicia cannot force you to divulge your SSN…and IMO I’d challenge the powers that be at SnapDocs about it. What she basically is saying is “oh well, we messed up setting up this system so, rather than fix it, we’ll make you do what we say”.

Baloney

you are not missing anything by NOT being part of SNAP-DOCS and QUICK-CONS

Do you use a Fictitious Business name with the EIN?

No, the EIN is in my name. Tho’ I do use a d/b/a in ‘public’ venues (yellow pages, yelp, like that)–it isn’t necessary where I live to ‘register’ it anywhere.
I’ve always been paid under the EIN I provided to SnapDocs, so I don’t know what insisting on a SS is about. Maybe if you use a ‘business name’ on the EIN???.. I honestly don’t know.