Wake up people! we hold the GOLDEN TICKET

What state are you in? We can’t get that here in Portland Oregon.

Couldn’t Agree More !!!strong text

First Am sent me an offer through snapdoc for tomorrow at $60 just now. I countered at $150. No way I am doing all the work for $60.

3 Likes
                        $200 FOR HECM  aka Reverse Mortgage

This is how you do it. See attached image

Some notaries value themselves low or the signing happens to be right in the next block. Whichever, I cannot force them to yield or refuse to low paying jobs.

I have developed some knack and a 6th sense in coming to determine what I can and cannot accept…

FEES WHEN WORKING WITH MIDDLEMEN vs FEES as DIRECT AGENT TO TITLE / ESCROW / SETTLEMENT AGENTS

1. Anything more than 10 minutes of travel , I don’t accept less that $100

2. Anything More than 30 minutes, and depending on signing and past relationship, i accept $100 or above and ALWAYS RENEGOTIATE, ALWAYS , the fee, when the docs arrive and I find out the details.

3. When working with title/ settlement companies My fees are set and payment is made contingent upon settlement of all parties and Notary is also part of settlement. NO TO 30 DAYS payment, DEFINITELY NO to 45 DAY
    Anywhere from $125 to 250 to sometimes as HIGH as 600 For entire days work or more.

So get smart. Also dress up nicely , professionally, Don’t go to signing looking like a BUM., If you go like a bum, you will get bum pay, you accept bum pay and then grumble here.

Dress for Success

6 Likes

Get a cheap brother LASER printer, the toner cost is LOWEST in brother.
All is ONE is waste of time and money. Ink Jet printers bleed if docs get wet.

1 Like

I base mine so far upon each job. For example, if I am driving 20 miles one way I will charge generally at least 85 - 150. Depends on the job. If few pages then less charging. If more then more. If longer distance, charge more. I am in a very small area. However, I had a job in April, 5 miles from my house, literally 1 page, 1 signature, drop off fedex. $50. was worth it to me. I am trying to make sure I average around $30 an hour gross right now while I am getting my experience. So far I haven’t done any refi’s so that may change. Mostly I have been doing annuity’s, titles, debt consolidation. small stuff. Usually around 60 pages total.

1 Like

Since this thread is about fees, I have a more basic question regarding a single signature. More like the confusing wording “per signature”. Is this per customer’s signature or notary’s signature. I get conflicting information so I am hoping to get some clarification. I am in California and the handbook states per signature. But as I mentioned, it does not specify if that is the customer’s or the notary’s signature. I mean if a single page requires two signatures from the customer and one notary signature/seal, what is the fee based on? Also, apologies in advance if there is another thread where I can post this comment. If so, please point me to that thread.

If notaries do indeed hold the golden ticket, I would know it. Very interesting comments to this topic which affects us all, seasoned and newbies alike. There is a learning curve to being a newbie signing agent, incidentally, which doesn’t get addressed by the well-meaning comments and advice of the seasoned. It’s addressed by the doing, trial and error. Good teachers. Back in covered wagon days when I got into this business, after retirement, and being a guy who thought he knew everything about everything, I found out otherwise as a newbie NSA. Here’s the irony to me: eleven years on and I think I know all about the NSA business except for the incessant tweaking by signing services, title companies, customers and whoever. And now? What have I got to show for all that? Not much, if your measure is the amount of signings you are seeing these days. In the old days when I first signed on with this gig, I was overwhelmed by signings day and night, six or seven days a week. True story. Back then I learned what I had to learn fast and hard,
also true. That was long, long, ago. The amount of signings have thinned out now, gone quiet, like the embers and ash of a campfire. Why so? What’s going down? Do tell. Has all the business moved to electronic signings? Robots? I’m all ears.

2 Likes

I’ve been around a long time, too. Fewer signings now are probably due to the fact that all those people we signed earlier in our careers already have darn good rates and 30 yr. mortgages, so far less people in the refi pool. Add the deadly combo of ‘how low will you go’ platforms and a non-stop line of newbs willing to put themselves in the bargain bin ‘for experience’… The only thing that amazes me is my business is still here.

I think your comments are on the mark. I’m amazed in an upbeat way that your notary business is still among the living. Here too, although it ain’t the good old days by yards. Fortunately in my case, I have a retirement. As I’ve mused in reflective moments, I don’t see how a NSA can make a living in this business, unless I guess, they are bird-dogging for a title company. That’s not for me to spend my time speculating about. Business is a drizzle. Notary fees aren’t even peanuts, with exceptions. So it goes. I’m not complaining, just attempting to understand the lay of the land, which doesn’t move the equation an inch. Thank you for your feedback.

The $ 30.00 per hour rate you are trying to achieve, have you included your cost and time to print within that same $30.00 ?

I too have been in the business for 10 years and have watched it change as you said. And you’re absolutely right about a learning curve, and not just for loan signings but overall notary work. I had a mortgage lending background which helped, but even so, there are so many variables.
It’s sad to see mobile notaries so devalued in what is a very important and necessary profession. There are different pressures and liabilities, including continuing education to know and keep up with current laws.
I know my value as an experienced California notary, and thank goodness we can charge a reasonable rate for our services. Otherwise, I would have moved on.
I’m guessing the main reason loan signings became less profitable was due to supply and demand, a lack of oversight and no national standards for the profession.

I agree with Angela.

I am a ‘newbie’ in this market, but have over 30 years in the legal profession. I am very happily employed with excellent benefits, flexibility, PTO, a pension and pay from which I will not walk away, but I recently lost child support when my youngest turned 21. So I will take an annuity or debt consolidation on my lunch hour for $50, although I will not take less than $100 for any type of real estate closing. Here’s the thing: if some of you have chosen to make a career of this and demand and receive high fees, I am happy for you. Just note that $50 on my lunch hour or on my way home from work certainly beats a part-time gig for $10/hr. at the local grocery store, pharmacy or burger joint. I have to keep up on notary laws in my position anyhow, I already own a printer, I had minimal startup expenses, so I cannot justify a $100/hr. mentality - but that’s not to say that someone else can’t. It sounds like this biz was quite the racket in its heyday, SAs must have been earning more than licensed, associate attorneys in upstate NY… and you need nothing more than a high school education to become a notary in this state.

While I understand where you’re coming from, nobody said $100/HOUR. All that’s being said is if you don’t value your time and experience, nobody else will. And some day your equipment will need replacement.
Fact is, if they could (& DID) pay $150 in the heyday, they still can, but why should they–when they can count on you to do it for $50–less expenses?

A $50 signing that takes me 15 mins. at appt., 2 mins. to print and 2 mins. to scan back, no copy for client, plus let’s say 10-15 mins. travel, is worth MY time and experience. It is on my schedule, my terms, and I’m not doing a 150-200 pg. purchase, refi or HELOC closing for that price. As stated numerous times in this thread: we must weigh page count, mileage and other factors when considering an assignment. I’ll take a local 40-page signing all day for $50, versus 200+ pages 30+ miles away for $150. Again, I get that not everyone shares my point of view.
(For what it’s worth: Ischobert does state in this thread that “I’m a $100/hr notary + expenses.”)

You going home on your lunch hour to print and again to scan? If it works for you, you’ve found your niche.
Under same circumstances, I’m grossing $75 to $100.

AGAIN… I’m happy that you’re getting what you’re asking, aren’t you? I own an ES-300W and my office is only 3 miles from my home. Happy grossing!

Same issue. In 2004 I was paid 170 to 250 per signing. Its 2019 and newbes are taking them for 50 to 85 and that is a major issue for everyone.
It will never change because newbes are desperate to get work and be something.

I am a new notary in California. I have been reading through many posting on many different sights. Although your posting is a couple of years old, I found some AWESOME information. Thank you very much!!!

Are you still a signing agent?