Wake up people! we hold the GOLDEN TICKET

I agree with Angela.

I am a ‘newbie’ in this market, but have over 30 years in the legal profession. I am very happily employed with excellent benefits, flexibility, PTO, a pension and pay from which I will not walk away, but I recently lost child support when my youngest turned 21. So I will take an annuity or debt consolidation on my lunch hour for $50, although I will not take less than $100 for any type of real estate closing. Here’s the thing: if some of you have chosen to make a career of this and demand and receive high fees, I am happy for you. Just note that $50 on my lunch hour or on my way home from work certainly beats a part-time gig for $10/hr. at the local grocery store, pharmacy or burger joint. I have to keep up on notary laws in my position anyhow, I already own a printer, I had minimal startup expenses, so I cannot justify a $100/hr. mentality - but that’s not to say that someone else can’t. It sounds like this biz was quite the racket in its heyday, SAs must have been earning more than licensed, associate attorneys in upstate NY… and you need nothing more than a high school education to become a notary in this state.

While I understand where you’re coming from, nobody said $100/HOUR. All that’s being said is if you don’t value your time and experience, nobody else will. And some day your equipment will need replacement.
Fact is, if they could (& DID) pay $150 in the heyday, they still can, but why should they–when they can count on you to do it for $50–less expenses?

A $50 signing that takes me 15 mins. at appt., 2 mins. to print and 2 mins. to scan back, no copy for client, plus let’s say 10-15 mins. travel, is worth MY time and experience. It is on my schedule, my terms, and I’m not doing a 150-200 pg. purchase, refi or HELOC closing for that price. As stated numerous times in this thread: we must weigh page count, mileage and other factors when considering an assignment. I’ll take a local 40-page signing all day for $50, versus 200+ pages 30+ miles away for $150. Again, I get that not everyone shares my point of view.
(For what it’s worth: Ischobert does state in this thread that “I’m a $100/hr notary + expenses.”)

You going home on your lunch hour to print and again to scan? If it works for you, you’ve found your niche.
Under same circumstances, I’m grossing $75 to $100.

AGAIN… I’m happy that you’re getting what you’re asking, aren’t you? I own an ES-300W and my office is only 3 miles from my home. Happy grossing!

Same issue. In 2004 I was paid 170 to 250 per signing. Its 2019 and newbes are taking them for 50 to 85 and that is a major issue for everyone.
It will never change because newbes are desperate to get work and be something.

I am a new notary in California. I have been reading through many posting on many different sights. Although your posting is a couple of years old, I found some AWESOME information. Thank you very much!!!

Are you still a signing agent?

Yep. Still signing… Seeing some folks for the 4th & 5h time. We’re almost family~~

Are you available for a refi signing today at 4:00 in Newport Beach? no scan backs and it pays $10

Notaries to you
(916)354-1100

Are you kidding me? This is insulting. $10 can’t even cover for one notarized document $15 in California.

Sounds like a Black Friday doorbuster deal :rofl:.
In respect for my fellow notaries in this forum, I cannot disclose what words I should be using in response to this “insulting” offer. Smh

Giving them the benefit of the doubts, hope it was a “typo” and meant $100.
That was funny though, door buster.

1 Like

Thank you for this feedback. I have just started and an having a difficult time establishing a fee chart. Your info gave me a renewed since of confidence.

Just saw this! $10? No way! Someone must be kidding with you! No way that is for real!

Notaries are just cogs in the great wheel. The refinance business is moving toward AI, and at some point warm-bodied notaries won’t be needed at all. I’m convinced the low ball fees many of us receive is due in part (wholly?) to automation. .

Good theory, but I can’t see AI taking care of notarial work anytime soon until laws are changed. Good to ponder about nonetheless, I’ve never considered this.

What do you suggest to newbies who want to get their feet wet with a real Notary signing appointment and add some signing numbers to their resume? NOT take the lower numbers? I say, let them take those - because eventually, with more experience and confidence under their belt, they WILL ask for more money. #BeenThere #DoneThat #SeenItWithOthers

Thank you for sharing with us ! Much appreciated

They must have been missing the extra zero $100 :flushed::laughing: Sheesh…

Single signature, i been paid 50 to 75.