Warning about Inspectorade - Don't do it!

I stupidly accepted a job to take a couple of pictures at a home less that 4 minutes from me. The fee was lower than I normally take, but I thought “what the heck, no printing…piece of cake” After inspecting this mold ridden nightmare, they wanted over 250 pictures, and a 3 page narrative on the property condition. The fee? $40. This is the second time I have stupidly accepted a simple inspection. Don’t do it, not matter how easy they say it is. It was a definite SS.

1 Like

Be careful. you are not an appraiser and I would suggest you check with your state to see if you would need an appraisers license to do that kind of inspection.

1 Like

General advice for anyone who calls. Ask them for all the details of what they would like you to do, functions to perform etc. If they are having something notarized, ask them what type of ID they are planning to use and insist on them reading you the expiration date, because you would hate to charge them a travel fee without being able complete a notarization. Because you are an independent contractor, you will then tell them what your fee will be. Being an independent contractor, your policies are relevant and will apply.

1 Like

Was this an assignment from a signing service? Business has gotten so slow that signing services have branched out to other opportunities, which do nothing for the notary. I did “inspections” a number of years ago, but the company (not a signing service) I worked for only pays $25.00 and it just isn’t worth it anymore because they usually only have one job in my area every now and then. They now require 5 pictures plus an interview of the client. Check out http://www.sofi.us/home_page.html for opportunities to work directly with the company rather then going through a third party. Note: these companies still pay small fees, depending on the type of work you are doing.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice, helpful as always, doesn’t seem to be worth the time and potential mold sickness (yeah, it was that nasty)

I agree with Metzger_NSA. Speak to Richard Law from SOFI. He will defiantly steer you in the right direction if you choose to do field inspections. Sounds like the company who hired you decided to take a huge slice of the pie.

3 Likes

Hi, I was contacted by a company with this exact same situation. I am scheduled to inspect on Sunday, but thought the $25 fee was a bit low because they are asking for over 100 pictures. I had just assumed it was because I am brand new and haven’t even had the chance to do my first signing. Should I negotiate the price or call and cancel?