What happens - identification

What happens when borrowers don’t have copies of their driver’s license, only the card. Do I need to have a portable scanner/printer with me? I’m just starting out so I’m trying to keep my expenses down until some money starts coming in. But if I need it, then I’ll get one. I hope that after starting the marketing process, I’ll get some jobs.

Hi Linda,

You can take a picture of the license with your cell phone, upload it to your computer and scan it over to the signing company.

Why didn’t I think of that? Smart solution.
What if they don’t have their certified funds available at the appointment?

If they don’t have their certified funds at the appointment, you contact the signing company that hired you. Let them contact title or escrow.

Usually in today’s time funds are being wired to escrow, but not always. You take as much worry out of it for yourself as you can.

1 Like

Some lenders are instructing notaries not to take pictures and then send by email. Some say to have the signer use their own phone to take picture and email it to the lender. I prefer the second method rather than having signers IDs on my phone.

When confirming with the signers tell them the lender wants a paper copy of their IDs and ask them to have the paper copy ready for you when you get to their location. Also tell them the photo has to be clear and the ID can not be expired (stipulated by most lenders even if your state allows expired IDs).

You can also take the picture on your own phone, then print it out when back at home/office.

Don’t forget to delete the picture.

HWB.

I actually started using an old copier that I carry in my trunk, because there were so many people forgetting to copy their id’s and it’s usually somebody that’s out in the middle of no where! That way I can drop the docs on the way home and not have to go back home first to print out someones id. In Oregon we are not allowed to take a picture of someone else’s id.

I have been using this product for over ten years. High definition color scans: https://www.vupointsolutions.com/magic-wand

1 Like

There are scanner apps that work to scan and save their ID on your phone. I use TinyScanner. Using this app allows the photo to be saved within the app and not your personal photo gallery.

A couple of posters here bring up a good point.

Don’t forget to delete the photo of the ID, lest one might be left with additional liability and problems should a phone be lost/stolen.

HWB.

I I[quote=“lindasalek, post:1, topic:8301, full:true”]
What happens when borrowers don’t have copies of their driver’s license, only the card. Do I need to have a portable scanner/printer with me? I’m just starting out so I’m trying to keep my expenses down until some money starts coming in. But if I need it, then I’ll get one. I hope that after starting the marketing process, I’ll get some jobs.
[/quote] I INFORM THE CLIENT THAT HE NEEDS TO HAVE PHOTO COPIES OF HIS ID, READY WHEN I ARRIVE, THEY HAVE MORE EXCUSES THAN NOT AS TO WHY THEY DON’T HAVE ONE, NO INK , PRINTER DON’T WORK ETC. SIGNING COMPANIES TRY TO HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE AS TO WHY THE CLIENT DON’T HAVE ID, NOW THEY WANT 2 ID’S MOST CLIENTS BARLEY HAVE 1, IT’S IS BECOMING A MESS. SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE SOME ONE A LOAN FOR A LOT OF MONEY YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE THEIR ID.

I just have a scanning wand, just to make it easier on me, the less I hear from the Title Comp the more business I’ll get which is my goal. It’s like herding cats or children, par for the course.