What is your stances on loan siginings after 5:00 pm?

I have a closing at 545 mortgage company is pressuring it for overnight. They all have last pickup at 7:00. What are your protocols for after 5:00 pm documents? Thanks

Depends on the company. Some will have you fax back that night and drop the next morning. I work in Long Island NY and Manhattan. I can catch one UPS store in NYC by 8:30pm to do the overnight but on Long Island, there are none open past 7pm. I do mostly evening closings in NY.

Here is Vegas it’s a 24 hour town. 5am, 10pm we do it all.

I live in Mansfield, Ohio. It is a city of 45,000. My last pick up for both UPS and FedEx is 6:30 pm. I tell my vendors that
signings after 5:00 pm will not be dropped until the next day. I have not had problems with any companies regarding this.

Tell them upfront that you will probably not be able to make the pickup deadline for that day. Until you get to the signing, you won’t know if the signers are seasoned professional signers or ones that will want to read everything! In any event, it’s a long shot and the mortgage company/title should have thought of that. Don’t get in a wreck trying to make the deadline. It’s not worth it.

They’ll probably ask for scanbacks/faxbacks. Make sure you up your fee for this service. Some companies think is free. It’s extra time and another trip out to drop. If they want the docs, they’ll pay.

3 Likes

I used to do 5 signing per night from 4:40pm to 10:30pm back in 2012, very busy year.
So everything is very easy now. Take signings when you can get them, rate are only going UP.

I had a tribble experience for signing with A company and client, which I need your opinion on this:

I got a text at 6:30pm to do notary at 8:30pm , I run fast to get there and there was an accident in from of me on the freeway too , the address was in the very bad area , I got there terrified!!! they did not have documents and wanted me to write their letters for them , they sign it and I notarize , I refuse to do it, they did not like it, when I asked the company they said I should do it. and they got mad and did not pay me even the travel fee !!!
I am so confused now who did a right things , I appreciate your advice.

I tell them upfront what the local UPS/ FedEx pickup time is. Pickup in my area is 5 to 5:30 Some want the faxback regardless of the time of night and all have been OK with pickup the next day. I am told not to worry because no one will open it until morning I do not take the chance. Not worth losing a good company over. If it is a Friday evening closing…well then sometimes I have to run it to a pickup site if they need it early Monday. I just keep that in mind when I am quoting my charge.

If hiring party is demanding same day shipment and I don’t think I can make the cutoff (or if it’s “iffy”), I’ll tell them before downloading the documents. All I can promise is to do the best I can, but I can’t promise same day if they’re not giving me adequate time between the signing appointment and the Fedex/UPS cutoff. In other words, I leave the decision to them. If they want a guarantee, then they should hire someone else who can give it to them.

1 Like