What RON software to use for NSA doing remote loan signings?

How long does DocVerify store videos?

As long as you’re a customer

i am in Florida and getting set up to do ron. Service Link set me up on docverify. Didn’t cost me anything as of yet. Anyone out there done any ron in Florida. not sure what the actual procedure is or will be. definately a leaning experience.

I have not had any assignments yet for Ron. I am signed up with signature closers, Pavaso, and Mortgage Connect and have only had one Hybrid through Pavaso.

1 Like

I’m in Illinois. My governor also signed an emergency order allowing remote notarization. I had to scramble to find a RON service that allowed me to perform both real estate related closings and general notary signings. The only one I’ve found is SIGNiX. I can do a one page affidavit up to a 200 page commercial purchase contract. They create the electronic journal entries for me and I can download the appointment recording.

1 Like

0% ROI when I used DocVerify during the COVID Temp RON. Notarize.com who doesn’t charge anything, but only pays a Signing Agent $25. The market is changing, but I thought price-fixing hurt the market? Best of luck, diversify what you can offer as a notary to endure your business has enough business for positive cashflow.

2 Likes

I’m certified and have my electronic stamp with Pavaso. I have my endorsement for Washington State RON. I called WA-DOL and spoke with Jordan. Clarified this: "Most RON platforms/providers create both the electronic journal entry and the recording of the RON event…" to mean that so long as I maintain a journal, complete appropriate entries and have noted in said journal which program is recording the signing session (all so that, should future legal challenges occur, I am able to support my notarial acts), I have completed the requirement.

RON, hybrid or full paper - makes no difference to the fees title and escrow firms charge lenders for closing, nor to the fees lenders charge borrowers. Why am I expected to accept less to provide the same end result - a completely signed, fully notarized, executable loan contract - simply because I have done my job on line? Do I not have the same liability? Do I not utilize the same skills and experience?

When a lender reduces their origination fee by 75% because the borrower opts to sign via RON, or a title firm reduces their premium, or an escrow firm reduces their fee, then reducing the fee paid to the Signing Agent will be fair.

3 Likes

I list to the stock trade tv station in the background when I’m working. Within the next 2 years new computers and software is coming out. Hardware and software will be making a major change. The driving force is security and people tired of paying for Microsoft software renewals. New devices will have software for life of the hardware. Explains why I’m seeing a lot of cheap prices for laptops and they include all software for life of hardware with great memory capacity, etc. for $200. All these states setting up RON signings etc may be in for a huge change and IT costs.

1 Like

Doesn’t Notarize store the files and video for free?

Hello notaryme,

From my understanding to get certified as a RON notary, first you must know which platform the Tittle company uses and pick that platform when your registering and ready to take the RON certifications through your state. Most title companies out there prefer that you are registered with NNA as a RON notary. There are quite a few steps to take before you can register with the secretary of state as a RON notary. Which is why I called my local secretary of state to get some basic info and they recommended that I register on their web site Silver Flume which I am not sure if this website is the same for everyone and when I register with Silver flume I will have quite a few digital platforms to choose from but you must know which platform the title company uses or you are paying for a platform which may be a waste of money because not all title companies use the same digital platform. NNA on the other hand gets you set up with obtaining your RON certificate and examplar. There are other steps in obtaining your RON certification which I am in the process of obtaining and I will keep you posted once I find out.

In State of Washington, regardless of whether the host company stores the recording, the Notary Public must store a copy as well as a journal entry of each line item. That little nugget was added in January, 2021. You should check your state’s requirements.

2 Likes

I’m in Florida and am RON certified. All Florida cares about is that you are associated with a platform. They don’t care if title companies use it or don’t or who does, and who doesn’t. So, once you join a platform, you advise the state of that platform and you get state certified in Florida. Now, to get companies (title or lender) to use your services through any platform is another ball of wax. Almost a year after Florida added RON certification for notaries, most companies (title/lenders) are still not onboard.

I trained to do RON through Notarize for Guaranteed Rate. In the end, I wasn’t “brought on” by Guaranteed because the volume just wasn’t there beyond using the 20 they already had previously trained and were conducting their RON closings. The reason they gave was that they couldn’t get the brokers to push RON closings to their clients. So the volume they thought would materialize, didn’t.

So, although I don’t do RON closings and my commission is up for renewal in September, I can continue stating that I am with Notarize to get my RON certification with the state and if I ever need to change it, in the state of Florida, you just have to advise them of such in writing!

1 Like

It is different when the Signing Service companies do request that you use a certain platform to perform RON loan signings. If a notary wants to register under a particular platform that is permitted as well. Which is why if you are working with several title companies it will be difficult to get them on board with the RON platform you signed up for. Now for the remote notarizations I think you can use any of the platforms. correct me if I’m wrong, but that is how I understood it.

Hi Judi ~ did see that nugget as you call it. My concern with all the hacking going on and data stored in cloud or by other means, what happens when Notaries quit their job? Who is in charge? My son works for the software giant in Redmond that promotes cloud storage and hackers know it is not secure. I know old days of ink and paper will go away eventually but is current progress secure? Recently had my information hacked from large Seattle company I worked for 15 years. They sent a letter Informing me my FBI background check that went through Human Resources was hacked. Company paid Ransome fee.and offered me credit monitoring. Ink and paper does not get hacked until it reaches digital world and depends on security used by each financial partner. Company I worked for had 10 people in their IT Dept and it just tripled. Data for thought!

1 Like

Hello everyone. I am a RON notary in Virginia and started doing RON work in April pf 2020. I checked out a number of platforms and settled on Notarize and DocVerify. It is true that DocVerify can be expensive but I tracked my expenses and found that I had cleared over $3000. That was because I was able to handle about 30 individual requests that had multiple notarizations in their set of documents as well as Title clients I have had over the years who are slowly coming onboard with RON closings for seller side transactions. Virginia allows electronic notaries to charge $25 per notarization. DocVerify is designed for the individual notary to handle their own RON business so you will have to generate your own clients.

It’s also true that Notarize doesn’t pay what you would make through DocVerify but they handle all of the technology that you pay for on DocVerify plus they supply you with the customers so you are doing volume business. I have already handled over 4300 notarizations in the past year using Notarize. I average around 25 notarizations per day and Notarize will be coming out with a program where you can bring your own clients onto their platform and you will be able to make additional income through that feature.

It has been a good move for me to switch to RON. I have eliminated over $300 a month in expenses of toner, paper, drums, auto expenses, etc. that I had as a mobile notary. And I am positioned for growth in an area that is quickly becoming the defacto way of notarizing documents. I have yet to have a complaint from anyone getting a document signed electronically because they love the convenience and my title companies love the fact that they are getting their package immediately after the closing is finished. I don’t plan to go back to paper at this point.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing information. I may become a RON notary in 2022 but waiting for bugs to be worked out. I will attach WA rates (public info) but unlike VA rates no listing for $25/notarization. Monthly expenses for materials, fuel, etc. are less than $300. I’m very frugal.

1. The maximum fees a notary may charge for notarial acts are:
    |Witnessing or attesting a signature|$10.00|
    |Taking an acknowledgment or a verification upon oath or affirmation|$10.00|
    |Certifying or attesting a copy|$10.00|
    |Administering an oath or affirmation|$10.00|
    |Certifying that an event has occurred or an act has been performed|$10.00|

Your better choice might be a service like Notarize, NotaryCam, or other services where you can do your notary work.

Thanks for additional information.

Hi Alice, RON rate in Washington State is up to $25 per notarization. (see section 6 below)

WAC 308-30-220 Fees for notarial acts.

(1) The maximum fees a notary may charge for notarial acts are:

Notarial Act Fee
Witnessing or attesting a signature $10.00
Taking an acknowledgment or a verification upon oath or affirmation $10.00
Certifying or attesting a copy $10.00
Administering an oath or affirmation $10.00
Certifying that an event has occurred or an act has been performed $10.00

(2) A notary public need not charge for notarial acts.

(3) A notary public may not charge fees for receiving or noting a protest of a negotiable instrument.

(4) A notary public may additionally charge the actual costs of copying any instrument or record.

(5) A notary public may charge a travel fee when traveling to perform a notarial act if:

(a) The notary public and the individual requesting the notarial act agree upon the travel fee in advance of the travel; and

(b) The notary public explains to the individual requesting the notarial act that the travel fee is in addition to the notarial fee in subsection (1) of this section and is not required by law.

(6) Notwithstanding the maximum fees set forth in subsection (1) of this section and the prohibition set forth in subsection (3) of this section, a notary public may charge a maximum fee of twenty-five dollars to perform a remote notarial act.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=308-30-220

There is a definite advantage in having your RON in a state which doesn’t limit you geographically. I am in Wisconsin and have done several RON for title companies. Only one of my lenders requires the notary and the signer to be located in the same state. Wisconsin prevents me from RON closing anyone who is not located within the state, but allows RON closings done by notaries located outside my state. I was surprised when I saw the number of signings done from the Virginia notary on the forum, but understand why he does so many more. One source anywhere vs. one source in one state. I would hope that the states would adopt one standard, but not for now.

1 Like