Where do I produce scan backs and fax backs?

I only have a Brother Mobile Scanner and no fax machine. Does this preclude me from taking signings? Does anyone do these at a FedEx store, or is that not economical? Is there any software out there that would fax or scan over the internet, or do I need to buy both a fax machine and a new scanner?

1 Like

Usually scan to pdf doc and email to company as attachment - not sure how your mobile scanner works.

Haven’t used a fax in many years. Do as LindaH suggests. Also, many want you to upload the pdf to their site.
From what I hear, FedEx is not economical, but many libraries offer free scanning to USB.

1 Like

They usually give you an address to send docs back to or you can download them on their site. Just use your scanner, save to your computer. I would check the size of what your are scanning because each site or email can hold only so many KB.

I will verify with the signing agent that their faxbacks are archaic for scanbacks and 100% of the time, they mean scanbacks. If the signing agent would require an actual faxback, I would decline the job. I have a scanner at home and I won’t go out of my way to fax something when I can scan it, it’s 2019 for goodness sake.

Stores such as FedEx, PostNet, etc. are charging $3 for the first page and $2 for each additional page faxed or scanned. Our customers want us to do this for free or $10, $25 if they are generous.

I USE RING CENTRAL, to fax back all my docs, when they want fax backs or you can use soda (free) to convert them to pdf, and send them to their email

I’ve done many loans in six years that require “faxbacks” but this is just a term left over from the 80’s when scanners were not available or were manual feed. I have never had to actually FAX anything, ever. As far as scanning is concerned just bite the bullet and get an all-in-one printer scanner. I have seen new ones that sell for $149 new. I use my inkjet all-in-one to print the borrowers copy and do my scanning. Lenders copy are printed on my dual tray printer that does not have a scanner. Works out very well.

1 Like

What you need is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC which can be paid for through a monthly or annual subscription. You need a pretty decent scanner, get a commercial one that you can afford as you’ll be doing a lot of scanning and the packages are often greater than 80+ pages.

Printing and scanning at FedEx is expensive and will greatly eat into your singing fee.

Agree - but just a little note here

I have Adobe Reader DC and an Epson GT-S50 scanner (love that thing) - I have no problems scanning to pdf and I do not pay a monthly fee. Also have a Brother MFC which scans to pdf directly to my laptop - no monthly fee. The Brother is much slower, which is why I bought the Epson - it was a tossup between the Epson and the Fujitsu ScanSnap - Epson was a tad faster and had a larger document feeder for less money.

Also, many scanners come with the pdf conversion software required (for a price, of course).

Bottom line is if you want to do the job as efficiently and as professionally as possible, you need to make the investment in good equipment.

How old is your computer ?? It is provably already on your desk top and will have the icon word scan.Click on the scan Icon, load documents to be scanned, click scan. once the documents have been scanned, save it and name the file.Go to your email and compose an email using the companies e-mail address. Click on choose file. Locate file, click on it, it will attach to your new composed email. Then send.

Excuse me? Not sure if you meant this for me or not - all I was addressing is the fact that there’s no need to pay a monthly fee to do this

Many good answers already here. The only thing I would add is you might want to get a desktop scanner with an Automatic Document Feeder. Get the one that can scan the most pages you can afford. Some of these packages can be quite large and the mobile scanner will be a lot of trouble for those packages.

What works well for me is my Brother laser printer for all documents and m HP all-in-one printer/scanner for doing scanbacks. However, the HP scanning software produces HUGE file sizes that are usually too large for emailing for larger stacks of documents. I bought VueScan software for $50 to control my HP all-in-one scanner which produces very acceptable small file sizes that are much easier to email. VueScan software works well with pretty much any brand/model of document scanner and is usually much preferable to the scanner manufacturer’s OEM scanner software that usually makes no effort to produce smaller/more acceptable file sizes.

There are scanner apps for your phone. Once you scan the documents you can send them as an attachment to an email.

1 Like

I never knew about the libraries offering free scanning, I’ll need to check out my public library. Thanks for the suggestion.

No. No. No. NEVER scan loan docs at a Fedex Office or public library! The PC used to scan will retain a copy of the docs, which is a violation of NSA rules governing protection of client NPPI.

Pony up a hundred bucks for a portable scanner until you can afford a good multi-function machine.

Multi-function machines/scanners come with a software package that will translate your scans into .pdf format, which is the generally accepted program.

Using a phone app for more than 2 or 3 pages is annoying and time consuming. Get a portable scanner like Magic Wand to scan IDs without violating privacy rules by using your phone. Use a scanner with a good ADF (auto document feeder) to produce scan backs.

As with any business, this one requires an investment in the proper tools. A reliable vehicle, a good multi-function machine, a back up printer, a portable scanner, an encrypted email account… all should be as much a part of this job as your stamp and journal.

2 Likes

Unless you’re just scanning a few pages, scanner apps for phones are not the way to go for typical lender signings. Lender document sets average 75-190 pages and you’d soon have a mess trying to use your phone to scan them. Not to mention the phone camera wouldn’t produce consistent quality over all of the pages. A loan signing agent really needs a free-standing scanner in order to to the job properly. And as above, you can’t do scans at FedEx or library for the above reasons. Not to mention their scanners often generate file sizes that are larger than most lenders will accept.

1 Like