Who is accepting Low Fees offers?

I am seeing more and more Signing Requests with ridiculously low fee offers. I haven’t taken a signing in a month because I refuse to work for what amounts to less than $10.00 an hour, in some cases. Who is accepting these signings and why? I have been in this business since 2003…looks like it is time to exit stage left. Anyone else feel this way?

6 Likes

I see it coming down the line really soon Its just about over. The drop is happening very slowly the 90.00 people are going to 85.00. Even the Low ballers are going to 50.00

Thank Snapdocs and competing other platforms for the ruination of our signing fees. Also the hoards of people who grabbed the chance at a “side hustle” job and think $50 is a great way to augment their regular paycheck.

2 Likes

I’m not sure who’s accepting them, but I doubt any seasoned California notaries. Because our state rate is $15 per notarized signature and we are allowed to charge a mobile fee, it just doesn’t make any sense for me. I’m getting $55-$65 for two notarized signatures within 10 miles with no printing. Rates are higher 20 miles away in Los Angeles and maybe lower in other parts of the state.
I believe new notaries would be the most likely to accept, especially in areas with a lot of competition and low allowable state fees. Even as a newbie 9 years ago I never went below $100 on a signing, thanks to a loan signing course I took and my trainer. Again, being in California makes a big difference. I can’t speak for other areas not knowing their prices or cost of living. Our minimum wage just went to $11 an hour, and is set to increase yearly to $15 an hour by 2022!
I wish Notary Cafe would put a location below a poster’s name…it would help to know what part of the country they’re from.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am very very new to this business. And I have had offers of signings with the highest of $65 or low $50. Yes, I need the cash but I could never disrespect my self or other LSA’s by accepting this.
Have you ever tried to reduce a loan fee with a Loan Officer?- They’re not having it. Have you tried to reduce the commission of a Realtor? - No, because they’re not prepared to do that either… And I don’t blame them. Their fee/charge is exactly what it is and as it should be.
I find it completely disrespectful of companies to think they can insult this profession as they are doing. I’m not sure how to send the message to loan signing companies other than say no.
I did have an email and offer of work from a loan signing company. After researching them I found so many complaints of non payment. I contacted them to tell them the reasons I wouldn’t work for them.
I believe there needs to be a national outcry to these companies that are starting to nickel and dime this profession… Though I don’t know where to start with that.
This is from a newbie and sent with respect to all of those seasoned agents who are feeling the effect of low ball offers.
I support the profession and I’m not prepared to accept. I might just as well work in Mcdo’s. Walk away after the shift and not have the headache.

7 Likes

Exactly. Loan officers would lose it if their fees were suddenly reduced. I am new but I really struggle to find reputable loan and title companies who are NOT dealing with these signing services. Any marketing suggestions in this regard would be invaluable.

2 Likes

I was offered $40 from the Closing Exchange to do a HELOC signing. That included travel, $17-18 I had to pay for shipping FedEx Priority Overnight. I accepted without thinking but later cancelled and explained that the work they wanted me to do was not equivalent to the pay. It is a side job for me but when I took the time to review the requirements and expectations I was very upset with myself for even considering completing the signing. I really just wanted the exposure/experience. But $40, I was basically doing the signing for FREE. That was a lesson learned. Never again.

4 Likes

It’s amazing how this situation is ruining our business. I’m one of those who don’t accept low ballers. If the fee is less than it should be I respond that it’s too low. Sometimes they assign me the signing-meaning that they are testing. This situation is even worst if we consider that we are paid in 30 or more days. So bad…

3 Likes

I have blocked the snapdocs noise and signing trac is next. They obviously don’t want our experience and professionalism. The distance to the job has also become a joke. I

We can make more cutting grass or delivering pizzas without the insurance and other expense.

I just not need it.

1 Like

I am in NY, 3 out of 5 boroughs of NYC, Long Island. Attorney state so this is mainly a part time gig. I agree with wanting to pull my snapdocs account. I receive some pretty pathetic offers from Snapdocs, and the poster who labeled this as “noise” is correct. Debt Rez’s suck and take up way too much time and effort for very little pay. We all need to stand together. Insurance, commission, supplies, travel and whatever else we have to pay for. I think taking a minimum wage job may be better than doing this sometimes.

3 Likes

Good for you. You’re assuming that everyone here commenting on this topic hasn’t done the same thing regarding " signing up with companies" etc.? I ,for one, have. I have two other businesses to fall back on when the CSA business slows down.It is not my main income. I think you missed the “topic” of this post. It is about “who is accepting low fee offers”. AND, California has always paid more because of the cost of living there is higher and has always been a lot busier than most other parts of the Country. So, your “3-7 signings a day” volume and success that you seem to be bragging about is more about where you live. And if you are accepting the “lower fee offers” and having to do twice ,maybe three times, as many signings to make up the difference, that is not good…IMO…but that is your decision. So, maybe before you get all high and mighty and tell people they should move back in with their moms you should talk to yours about being humble and grateful that business is good in California. Buona giornata e buono fortuna~

6 Likes

Worse is accepting a two page signing for $50 and having to argue with them for the $50. I just STOPPED accepting those low ball assignments.

2 Likes

Seriously, if you don’t have helpful constructive feedback then just DON’T respond. Your rude response is about you, and not the people on this strand. Please take you mean spirited statements some where else!

2 Likes

I’m taking them! For some of us this is our only source of income, and high or low pay, I need the work. I hate it as much as all of you do, and for all the same reasons! But again, some of us don’t have much choice. We either take what they are willing to pay, or risk not making rent next month. I don’t have the luxury of standing on principles.
If anyone has any reasonable suggestions, I’m all ears. All I have read are more complaints and high minded reasons. But what do we do? Unionize? Lobby politicians for some new regulation requiring we get paid our state minimum for every notarization in a package? We all understand and feel the problem, let’s talk about some options.

7 Likes

Great question. Three in the last two days and I just told them I was booked.

You gotta do what you gotta do I guess. However after all the outlay on supplies aren’t you making less than you would at a job at let’s say, Home Depot that has limited benefits?

2 Likes

Yes, I suppose I am. However with my disabilities Home Depot is not an option for me. But I have been looking around…

snapdocs and signing trac are pretty much the only people who call me for closings… They offer about $75 average now - sometimes 50. I tried many times to negotiate to $100 but they aren’t having it. They will find someone else. So that puts me in a bind, as I need this job – so I don’t see much choice. :frowning:

1 Like

rangemaster & jamiesignsit, have either of you signed up with other companies? Please look at some of the other posts on Cafe and you will see that a lot of great folks on here use their experience to support one another. Look into Amrock, Xome, Signature Closers and many others.

1 Like

Actually many senior notaries behind the back are accepting any and all rates that comes across just to meet numbers for the days earnings. I know quite a few who do that.

I don’t get volume, but get quality.

After accepting a signing , If I find the time/ distance/ traffic, package size varies, I go back and ask for more and we settle for in between. “NEGOTIATE BEFORE THE CLOSING NOT AFTER.”
Lowball offers I pass along to the desperate. I can’t dictate them, but can decide for myself.
Just don’t get desperate and bend down.

I had a snapdoc request for $45 for 100 page loan app, that said NO notarization. I wrote back asking them " ARE YOU F**NG Crazy and lost your mind and insulting notaires with these lowball offers"
I am ok if they never wanna contact me,… I don’t want to be contacted by these CHeapA $$ anyways."

For the Very low ballers, I respond back with a verbal barrage to embarrass the requester…

Now you NOTARIES GOTTA HAVE a spine, STAND UP : CURSE & HISS Like a cornered rattler, Attack like a cornered wolverine. Rip EM to shreds !! Don’t just decline , but also protest in what ever language you choose to use.
The message will get thru.

8 Likes