Be Memorable

Let me share a little something with y’all. It’s called your “Raison D’Etre” or Reason For Being. In other words, why in the world are you in the business of being a notary? Consider the following:

What is it that you do that you’re the absolute best at?
Consider that:
You offer a product / service you didn’t invent. . .
You use a formula you didn’t invent. . .
You use a delivery method you didn’t invent. . .
Have you truly branded your concept?
Have you identified and/or isolated a market segment?
What do you do that creates a unique user experience?
Why would an investor put serious money into your business?
Do you fully understand your business’s raison d’etre?
As a business person (not just a notary) do you want to go to the health club, the hospital or the morgue?

Think of it this way: You’re not just a Notary Public – you’re a business person that has selected notary work as your endeavor. Are you suited for this kind of work? Can you earn enough to be satisfied at whatever level you set for yourself? What if things don’t go your way (few assignments, too little pay, too many errors, overwhelming competition, etc.); can you withstand it? Do your skills and attributes sync up with the demands of the work?

Now, take a look at these questions:

What am I trying to achieve? What specific results am I seeking?
What are my major successes and failures?
What are my major challenges and opportunities?
What things work well? People – Process – Technology
How do I measure performance?
You can’t manage what you can’t measure.
What gets measured, gets done!
How do I define the difference between “I can’t” and “I won’t”?
What things would work if I took them more seriously?
Where have I become lax, complacent, unfocused, smug?
What should be abandoned?
Is inadequate financing a problem? The only problem? The real problem?
What should I be saying “NO” to?
What is absolutely essential to the success of this business?

My advice to newbies is to spend some time answering those questions and start thinking about ways to be memorable. Yeah, that’s the secret. . . BE MEMORABLE!

If you need a model to emulate, think back on two or three of the most favorably memorable people you’ve ever known and think more about what made them memorable to you. Now you’ll have something to work with to strengthen your new career as a notary or signing agent.

When people remember you kindly, they’ll use you, connect with you, call you, like you, refer you, tell others about you, laugh about you, care for you. That, my friends, is how you get work. Of course, your work has to be good, that’s a given. But when you and your work are memorable, well, that’s something else again.

I try to be memorable. My business cards are memorable; my writing instruments (not “pens”) are memorable; my signing boards are memorable; my entrance when I arrive is memorable.

I hope this post is memorable to you and that you’ll benefit from reading it.

God bless you all.

Agree, being memorable (in a good way) is a good thing. I find myself wondering what’s so memorable about your business cards & writing insruments… and particularly your ‘entrance’. Care to elaborate?

My business cards have a lovely, (very) smooth surface with rounded corners and great print quality for which I paid extra (not much). On the back of my card, I’ve listed my other professional credentials (bank auditor, risk professional, forensic examiner and expert witness) and outlined all my notarial specialties. People always look at both sides of my business card and many comment on how professional it is. The like my tagline “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”, too.

I am fortunate to have done work for high-net-worth people (celebrities, movie stars and athletes) and I give them my all black business card with gold scripted print that has the name of my upscale signing agency, Signature Exclusive. It has a great tagline and special attributes on the back and always gets a nice reaction. Hopefully, it cements my company in their minds for when they need me again.

My beloved writing instruments are expensive, brilliant, stainless steel pens with special refills that write AMAZINGLY smooth. It took me a long time to find them and outfit them the way I do and I won’t give that information away in this post because I want to maintain my exclusivity. My writing instruments are coveted by virtually every person who uses them. My signing boards also took a long time to find and everyone remarks how nice they are. Every signer wants to keep my “writing instruments” and signing boards. These are some of the things that make me ‘memorable’.

When I enter someone’s home, I find some way of complimenting the place, even if the place is not so nice. There’s always something that warrants a word of praise (without being phony or gushy) and politely saying so typically elicits a warm response. I dress impeccably (not fancy or “too hip for the room”) and everything from my briefcase to the professional sleeve I use to carry the borrower’s documents is first class. I make the borrowers feel like the signing is truly a “ceremony” and I seldom use the word “sign” when I can substitute the word “execute”. I try to be formal without being stuffy. And funny without being a comedian. Just lighten the atmosphere up a little (when it seems warranted). Of course, I’m never disrespectful and I virtually never bad-mouth title/escrow/lender, even when I think they’ve messed up.

I always congratulate everyone when the signing has been completed and remind them that they have my card and to call me when they or their friends and colleagues find themselves in need of my notarial services.

Lastly, when circumstances are such that I can get away with a little something extra, I lean in and tell the borrowers a little insider “secret” about the financial industry. Usually something about identification, fraud or a quick (sometimes slightly exaggerated) story that gets and holds their attention. I never mis-lead, show off, waste their time or lie. I just want to earn their confidence and be memorable.

OK, those are some of my “secrets”. I caution those who read this that if you elect to adopt any of these methods, be very careful because you never want to look forced or disingenuous. One can find themselves in trouble if these things are not practiced, prepared and honest.

God bless you all!

I compliment you on your style of writing. Sincerity is a strong and effective character trait, I find. People, pets and children warm up quickly when they are comfortable with us and we seem to put them at ease instantaneously.

Love to know more about your writing boards…

My signing boards are actually very sturdy placemats that are one solid dark color with a nice felt or cork underside. I spent some $$ on mine but I have found they are worth it. Stay away from flowery, scenic, themed boards, though. Too distracting.

1 Like

Thank you, Robert. This is a great idea. Many folks have tables that are wood grain, or padded tops covered with table clothes that do not make for a great writing surface.