Certification of trust(COT)

My first loan signing is trusted estate.
In the end, there is COT

I guess they have to fill in the items. Am I right?
Who can be the witness in the bottom.
There are two trustee. Do they have to have separate witness or one person can do it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

What state are you in? These are the types questions I recommend asking your hiring company so they can instruct the borrowers how to complete if they don’t know how.

This is the second post by this poster for help on his first signing - and I understand that, and have no problem with it, I get how it is on your first solo signing.

What I DON’T get is how he has a signing package with these forms that are not already filled in. This is something that should have been completed by title in advance (other than the signature and witness lines, obviously). But how is the body of a COT left blank??

1 Like

I don’t think that’s necessarily true regarding all the filled in information. Maybe it’s different in FL, but here in Ca, YMMV. I’ve had several signings involving Cert of Trust and majority of time, they are not filled in. However, trust verbiage tends to be in several different areas for the borrower to reference. Even though not every borrower is this way, a good amount actually keep Trust binders because it’s their responsibility to know what’s going on.

3 Likes

That’s been my experience also—rarely pre-filled and signers must do so. Most do have the ‘binder’ mentioned available.

I run into this Certification Of Trust completion thing all the time. Here’s what I do to keep things moving in the signing ceremony. When I’m prepping docs for notarization prior to the appointment, if I find CoT docs that must be completed by the signers, I text them and ask them to be prepared to complete the forms. I suggest that they have their trust documents handy in the event they need to refer to them. I stay out of the discussion of how to complete the forms. If the signers don’t know what to fill in, I suggest they leave it blank and use their copy of the incomplete form to confer with the lender/escrow officer/title or lawyer who drafted the original trust to obtain the required information. This seldom happens because the signers always, somehow, seem to figure it out.