Does anyone know if this is dangerous/scam?

I’ve received an email from a lady named Phyllis Green who’s from the company DEFTDOCUMENTS. The request from the company is to print out 2 copies of an 8 pg document and to post them at 2 separate locations. The first location they give is specific and the 2nd location is of my choice. Like a random coffee shop for example. After I take pictures of the postings at both locations, I’m supposed to fill out a form and return it then receive $60 for the task. Has anyone else received a request like this? The documents that I’m supposed to post are legal. A Notice of Trustee’s Sale. I’m just confused how that can be posted at a 2nd random location. The form that I fill out after, and return is an Affidavit of Posting of Property. Just trying to make sure this isn’t a scam, illegal or something that I could get in trouble for doing.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is legal in California. I have done similar tasks in Vermont, in my capacity as an officer of a town committee for a political party. I had to post one in the town clerk’s office and two more in locations of my choice. I chose all the post offices in town.

The items I posted were related to elections.

That’s a foreclosure notice - owners have defaulted on their loan and the lender is foreclosing - the property has gone through the foreclosure process and is being sold at auction. Not sure where you’d post the second random one (I’m guessing the specific one is the property itself) but it needs to be somewhere where it will be seen by the public.

I would ask hiring party where they suggest the second random one be posted and make sure you’re allowed to post on that site. That is, if you decide to do this. I, personally, would not get involved in it - it’s not a notary function…but that’s just me and JMHO

1 Like

When I posted these during peak foreclosure years 2008-2012, I posted the second notice at the Courthouse in a glass case, along with all the other legal notices, such as court calendars.

1 Like

The second post is to be placed at a location for public view. This satisfies the State’s requirement for a public notification.

These posting are usually handled by a process server. In Texas almost anyone can be a process server. It’s easy money. Keep in mind if you’re in a small community someone will figure out your posting foreclosures. Those being foreclosed upon are never happy about the process.

Screen those docs for viruses before you download or print them!

1 Like

Yes it’s legal. I have done quite a few for Phyllis. You can reach out to me if you need help.

1 Like

I would go to your public trustee site and determine if the property is indeed in foreclosure. Most states require mutliple mailings and newpsper publications prior to posting. Normally posting is done by a process server, not a notary. I serve notices for evictions, but not related to notary. You might even want to call your county.

I’ve done a number of these, in addition to photographing the posting you have to capture the property’s address as well. The second location can be at the Post Office, a Starbucks, a supermarket near the property. Phyllis requires an invoice and pays promptly.

The nickname for these things in the process serving world is a ‘nail & mail’.

They serve the document by US mail, posting at a property and posting in a public place (the latter two being ‘nailed up’). Foreclosure is one of the most common actions receiving this type of service, often due to the lack of known address for the borrower.

HWB.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.