Don't know if I should laugh or cry

So once again I found myself to be the second notary on a split signing. The first notary had the borrower sign… (lol) EXACTLY as the name appeared below the signature line…

“Borrower John Smith 1/1/11” (names and dates changed of course)

:rofl: :thinking: :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Definitely do both :rofl: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This is more common than I anticipated. I’ve had TCs call me to do a resign on something an inexperienced had muddied up. Usually the TC will offer higher that low ball fees to do the resign. Often there a time deadline in play. I can almost feel the anxiety in the schedulers voice. While I might be grinning on the outside, I feel sympathy for the schedulers on the inside. The good thing I’ve been able to later pickup direct work from the TC.

4 Likes

Yes! Amen to batting cleanup for stressed title companies whose previous notary made critical signing mistakes. I hear it in their voices when they are under incredible pressure to just get it done NOW. My heart goes out to them as well.

2 Likes

It’s sad, but when fee is the only criteria… they really have only themselves to blame. Sorry, not sorry.

10 Likes

I once was the 2nd Notary where the first Notary had made 5 errors, including on the Deed of Trust, which would need redone to get it recorded. It was a 180-page VA refi, which if she signed both customers included a complete scan. The person had included their confirmation in the package, and they were being paid $52.

1 Like

Well in this case… I guess they got what they paid for.

7 Likes

I totally agree… they took the chance to hire someone that they believed knew what they were doing because they had a stellar profile to only get stuck. That’s why I’m not mad when they call me directly before they assign the order. I actually prefer that especially when it’s a company I’ve never worked with before.

5 Likes

Omg…lol…thats funny and sad and frightening. I hear notaries complain about low fees, etc., but, I have to say, if you lack common reading comprehension skills and can’t figure out how to fill out a certificate, maybe being a notary isn’t for you.

4 Likes

So very true, so very sad. Experience matters.

I’ve heard (too often) it said that NSA “isn’t brain surgery” (Well, what is? Other than brain surgery), and that the work is “just pointing out a line”.

My response to that sort of twaddle is not for polite company.

A good NSA is an excellent communicator, possessing a solid ability with both written and verbal language. S/he has a sound understanding of notarial laws for her/his state, and of the purpose and importance of said acts within the signing package. S/he is able to present as a professional to all levels involved in the transaction. S/he is exceptionally focused, to deal successfully with hundreds of details within a package while maintaining composure in close proximity to unknown persons in unknown locations.

Sure, anyone can print. Try printing 160 pages cleanly - no streaks, dots, smears or widgets - twice. There is a reason large legal firms often employ people solely to run their print rooms.

Proof to make certain all pages of all docs are included, that signature lines match the names provided on the assignment sheet. If not, communicate with signing service or title company for timely corrections. No docs, no signing. No signing, no pay.

I could go on over several pages about the skill set required of an NSA.

Those individuals who made so much money (and continue to feed) selling our profession as “easy money” deserve a good kick in the pants.

9 Likes

Very well said… agree with you 100%. I can’t tell you the number of times my signers will share with me their previous notary experience and often share that they wish i was the last notary they had. The bad ones make those of us who “CARE” about this profession look like rockstars!!

3 Likes

Excellent post, @judikidd !!

1 Like

dispicable fee ,outright theft of service but u get what you pay for

1 Like

TC take note YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

2 Likes

wow, its hard to believe that someone would be this,.lol

1 Like

I stumbled breathing when I saw $52! Wow! Hopefully that Notary will know her worth once she gets better at her craft.

Agree! I did a Refi closing yesterday with a couple who told me their last Notary was as cold as stone, had no personality, and treated them like 2nd graders. They reluctantly used the “B” word on her. They were so surprised to have me this time, and didn’t want me to leave!

I really hope Notaries with bad attitudes and flip flop shoes leave the business. Or…maybe not? More business for me!

3 Likes

Two points: we may be the only person the borrower ever sees face to face so we are are the face of the lender and the escrow companies. How we appear and perform reflects on the entire process.

I did a refinance package with a real estate broker a while back. He didn’t need no stinking explanations and flew through the documents completing his signing in less then 20 minutes. As you might guess, he signed in the wrong spot on several pages, including signing to cancel the transaction on the Notice of Right to Cancel.

No, it’s not brain surgery and it’s not rocket science; but if we get it wrong we can cost people a lot of money and heartache.

3 Likes

I’m picking up more repair work, fixing rushed closings, or closing full of errors. I charge more for these engagements as they most often in as last minute assignments.

2 Likes