# I'm a Notary, not a Bounty Hunter

**URL:** <https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628>\
**Category:** Beginner's Questions\
**Created:** [November 21, 2025, 5:29pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628 "2025-11-21T17:29:24Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 9\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![enotary.305](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/enotary.305/32/36755_2.png) [@enotary.305](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/enotary.305)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 5:29pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/1 "2025-11-21T17:29:24Z")

</div>

Greetings, All -

I am completely stunned and unsure where to begin. I was hired for what seemed like a straightforward notarization of three documents related to the Surplus Proceeds of a Tax Deed Sale. Essentially, the signer was set to receive a significant sum of money by simply signing these three documents.

Although the title company typically sends out their client’s packet, I always prefer to contact the customer directly before starting my journey. I spoke with the client the night before, and we coordinated the time and location. Everything seemed set, right? Wrong. On the day of our mutually agreed-upon appointment, I arrived about 20 minutes early to get settled. The appointment was scheduled for 3:00 pm. I texted the client to let them know I had arrived—no response. I called them—still no response. Assuming they might have been delayed due to traffic or other unforeseen circumstances, I decided to wait.

As you can probably guess, things didn’t improve. Hoping for the best, I waited. I ended up waiting until 6:00 pm. The client never responded to my texts or calls. All I needed was three signatures—a task that would have taken no more than ten minutes. But instead, I was left sitting there for hours. I am a Notary, not a bounty hunter.

Naturally, I informed the title company about the situation with their unresponsive client. This happened on Wednesday. Now it’s Friday, and I still haven’t been able to reach the client to reschedule. Should I go ahead and notify the title company that their client is unreachable and move on?

Sincerley ,

Karina (aka NOT a bounty hunter)

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![yolicue](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/yolicue/32/33913_2.png) [@yolicue](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/yolicue)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 5:42pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/2 "2025-11-21T17:42:43Z")

</div>

Absolutely notify the title company and move on. The client is either unwilling or unable to respond (s/he may have been in an accident, hospitalized or worse).

Do invoice title for your time.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![LindaH-FL](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/l/8baadc/32.png) [@LindaH-FL](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/LindaH-FL)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 5:46pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/3 "2025-11-21T17:46:43Z")

</div>

Yep…I’d put the ball back in their court and let them handle it. Since it directed at the Seller of a Tax Deed Sale, the person may have moved on and be unable to locate. Let title mail the forms to him/her and get it straightened out. You’re right - you’re not a bounty hunter.

Good luck!!

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![enotary.305](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/enotary.305/32/36755_2.png) [@enotary.305](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/enotary.305)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 5:53pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/4 "2025-11-21T17:53:25Z")

</div>

I just hung up with the title company. They are having issues contacting the client as well.🤷‍♀️ Seems like he decided to file the paperwork himself. Which is fine, but communicate.

Sending them my travel/time invoice.

V/R,

Karina (feeling relieved)

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![LKTHORNTON1](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/lkthornton1/32/37331_2.png) [@LKTHORNTON1](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/LKTHORNTON1)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 6:16pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/5 "2025-11-21T18:16:59Z")

</div>

Yes, it’s very annoying when signers go “incommunicado”, though for me, I don’t leave home until the signer responds to me when I reach out. I don’t do “No borrower contact - just show up” assignments. I had a structured settlement signing a few months ago where the borrower wouldn’t respond to my calls or texts to confirm the appt so I let the hiring party know it was a no-go until the client responded to me. 30 minutes is the max time I’d wait and if borrower doesn’t respond to calls or texts, I’d leave and bill the hiring party for a print/travel fee (or just travel fee).

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![enotary.305](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/enotary.305/32/36755_2.png) [@enotary.305](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/enotary.305)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 6:25pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/6 "2025-11-21T18:25:08Z")

</div>

I wholeheartedly agree! I am so sorry you had to experience something similar yourself.

I did communicate with the client prior to arriving to confirm we were still on, and then when I arrived. When I arrived, is when he decided to ghost me.

One of the most essential facets of this business is keeping the communication lines open from the get-go.

What doesn’t kill us makes us smarter… because we are already strong.

V/R,

Karina

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Arichter](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/arichter/32/35077_2.png) [@Arichter](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/Arichter)\
**Post date:** [November 21, 2025, 8:43pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/7 "2025-11-21T20:43:15Z")

</div>

The “standard expected wait time” varies from 15 to 30 minutes. At the 15 minute mark, I would have called Title to let them know you’d called & texted with no response and would be leaving the location shortly and they should re-schedule with signer and, as I already have the docs, to see if I’m available at the new time. BOOM…you’re out of it. Collect at least a print & trip fee & a very slightly reduced (if docs are still valid) new signing. No way would I wait 3 hours, nor does any hiring party expect this.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![WeMBnotary-Myrtle-Beach-SC](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forum.notarycafe.com/wembnotary-myrtle-beach-sc/32/35350_2.png) [@WeMBnotary-Myrtle-Beach-SC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/WeMBnotary-Myrtle-Beach-SC)\
**Post date:** [November 25, 2025, 10:23pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/8 "2025-11-25T22:23:04Z")

</div>

> [@enotary.305](#):
>
> the title company typically sends out their client’s packet, I always prefer to contact the customer directly before starting my journey. I spoke with the client the night before, and we coordinated the time and location. Everything seemed set, right? Wrong. On the day of our mutually agreed-upon appointment, I arrived about 20 minutes early to get settled. The appointment was scheduled for 3:00 pm. I texted the client to let them know I had arrived—no response. I called them—still no response. Assuming they might have been delayed due to traffic or other unforeseen circumstances, I decided to wait.
> 
> As you can probably guess, things didn’t improve. Hoping for the best, I waited. I ended up waiting until 6:00 pm. The client never responded to my texts or calls. All I needed was three signatures—a task that would have taken no more than ten minutes. But instead, I was left sitting there for hours. I am a Notary, not a bounty hunter.
> 
> Naturally, I informed the title company about the situation with their unresponsive client. This happened on Wednesday. Now it’s Friday, and I still haven’t been able to reach the client to reschedule. Should I go ahead and notify the title company that their client is unreachable and move on?
> 
> Sincerley ,

Charge them a print and travel and move on, don’t take the resign. Only wait 15min. then go back home, Not 3 hours (No one is going to pay you for that)

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![system](https://canada1.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/uploads/notarycafe/original/2X/5/536ced5cfa77a57223f140e81670eb5e2685a07d.jpeg) [@system](https://forum.notarycafe.com/u/system)\
**Post date:** [February 23, 2026, 10:23pm UTC](https://forum.notarycafe.com/t/im-a-notary-not-a-bounty-hunter/54628/9 "2026-02-23T22:23:22Z")

</div>

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
