Insight about starting out as a Notary/ LSA

Hi all,

I am very interested in this field, I have been researching it for the past couple of days. I think that it will suit me. Unfortunately, I told someone close to me and they said it wasn’t a lucrative career. So, I just wanted to get insight about whether it has been lucrative for you all. I know challenges are to be expected, but I’m just wondering if it’s worth it! Also, if anyone can speak on their experience in the DMV area that would also be great:)

First, check your zip right here and see how much veteran competition you’re up against. Only state I’m aware of the gets notaries involved with the DMV is PA–where I think you’ll find you have a LOT of competition. If I’m right, it’ll take a few months to get your 1st job…and, a year or so to get established.

In general, your friend is correct. If you’re under 50, please get a real job with benefits, raises, a future.
Many of us who’ve been around long before you, frankly, are over the hill–so it’s a way to earn a bit of ‘extra’ income, but, in most cases–NOT a liveable one.
Second, do some math…what do you require in annual income. Then figure out how many $100 jobs youll need to do that take 3 hrs. average in order to make that. (These are very loose figures, but if you read many posts, you’ll see that they do kinda hold up.) Your ‘research’ should definitely include just sitting and reading thru posts here until your eyes bleed…it’s the BEST education available, bar none.

4 Likes

Outstanding advice Arichter…especially the “how many $100 jobs you’ll need to do that take 3 hrs. average in order to make that”.

Also keep this in mind - you’ll read this and think "oohh…3 jobs/day - $300/day times 6 days - that’s $1800/week! I can do that! Remember - costs to do the work, setup costs and INCOME TAXES (both federal and state if required where you are) - many people don’t realize their income is taxable income - they see the $$$ and their eyes glaze over.

Also remember - you have to make enough “consistently” to cover you during the “dry” times…which happen every so often, sometimes more often than not.

But kudos to you for “researching” first. And Good Luck

2 Likes