Pet peeve with excessive paperwork

I have a pet peeve on which I would like to see your opinion and I want to ask 2 question about also. Just about every re-fi loan package I get is over 150 pages, usually 160 to 170, which means 320 to 340 pages by the time I print a copy for the client. Well, that’s not actually true because I finally got wise and have a printer that will print 2-sided for clients’ copy. However, typically 25 to 35 of those pages are strictly instructions for the escrow company and/or copies of the clients’ insurance policies. None of them are anything the client is to sign, and a lot of them are copies from their own copies (insurance docs). So two questions: 1. Why doesn’t the Title Company send us (us meaning the Signing Company that hired us or Title Company direct if you are working directly for them). 2. Question 2. Is it legal/ethical to leave the docs referenced above out of the Signed Copy and/or the clients copy? I feel this is such a waste of our natural resources (being all those trees) for documents not needed by client and/or Title Company (since they already have these docs because they generated the package). What do you think?

6 Likes

Why ask why just comply! :joy:. 1. Title companies do hire you directly, those who don’t because they leave it to the signing companies to check to make sure you are in compliance, etc. 2. I would never alter (alter meaning remove or add docs) the way the package received. Not even printing double-sided for the clients copy. I keep track the # of pages I received and what I sent back. They better think twice if they say they are missing a certain doc. But that’s just me.

5 Likes

I agree. I also hate that I have to review the package BEFORE printing because they put the NOTARY INSTRUCTIONS right in the middle. Or they put the shipping label in the middle and I have to stop and print it on a sticky shipping label., a d remember to skip it in the borrower’s copies. I read the instructions, make notes on my file and skip printing. Then, how about you have to print 3 copies each of the right to cancel, then you give 2 back to them AND you just printed 6 more in their set of copies!

4 Likes

Forget the trees. I care more about paper cost, excessive toner usage and the wear and tear on our printers.

6 Likes

It seems that many pages are instructions for the closer or checkoff sheets, privacy notices, forms that still need filling out but could obviously have been done earlier or email along with the CD. We are a printing service for them. And I print a full copy of EVERYTHING for the signers because that is what we are told to do. And then they ask if they could just have an e-copy (which we can’t provide), ugh!

I dream of the day that all of the companies move to only using standard size paper. The use of legal size seems arbitrary. Even “Exhibit A” is often printed on legal. I know the clients don’t like it.

3 Likes

Hi, I a new notary - haven’t even been on any jobs yet. But I have a couple of newbie questions. Why (in this digital world) can these docs not be scanned and sent as a digital copy? And also, why aren’t the title companies responsible for the making the multiple copies? I’m learning here…

2 Likes

Why are you printing label on sticky paper when you can get UPS and FedEx envelopes with windows already attached or attachable clear windows?

6 Likes

I agree with everything you said…but you need to include every page in that copy that you leave with the signer. Not what you wanted to hear, but you need to follow the directions no matter how ludicrous they tend to be.

2 Likes

Early in my notary career, I decided I would handle this differently. We all know the borrower receives their docs PRIOR to their signing and probably more then once, right? Law requires the borrower receives a copy of what they are signing, so I ask the borrower in my confirmation call if they would like their copy of the docs in digital format and 99.9% of the time, they all tell me “yes, please” so at that time, I reach out to the title company, signing service, etc. and advise them the borrower has asked for a digital copy of the closing package. This has been a successful business practice of mine for years. Remember, we cannot email them the docs

6 Likes

I have involved in this business for close to 30 years. Yes, I agree that most packages are huge, however, when you are hired to do an assignment it is VERY wrong of you to save a few dollars.
You need to print the documents as you agreed to. Do NOT Double side. If someone makes any error, you need to switch out the copy. Figure out the cost of what it actually costs you to print & you will see that it is not worth what you are doing. Also, if you are operating as a business, then all paper costs are tax deductible.
A suggestion is contact the hiring party or title & ask if the these all extra copies must be left with the Client. I would do that via email so you will have the answer in writing in case of an issue.
This is my opinion & thoughts. You should market your self to title companies. The paperwork is not as much.Your business, your way. But at some point you will be questioned.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good idea, but it is very risky that you might unintentionally leave an important doc out of the package. You should also not print double sided because if there is a mistake on the original doc, you could easily pull out the clients copy and use it.
I do understand the paper saving and it does bother me that some documents are doubled in the package. Some title companies do not stream-line their files. But I just have them sign it twice and sometimes have to notarize the same doc twice. I do put a sticky note asking why there are two.
So for now I just print everything twice. It saves a lot of time figuring out what to omit from the signing.

4 Likes

Since COVID I have noticed an increase in pages for a refi…I don’t have time to go through and sift their package and that is what we signed up to do… Just my opinion!

My clients don’t get any of my notary instructions or the shipping document in their set of documents but they are required to get everything else including copies of their insurance documents.

I once tried printing the client’s copies on double-sided paper but then during the signing needed one of them after a signing error. The double-sided copy didn’t match the document it replaced and it added a second unintended copy of an additional page. Remember the instructions say all pages must be printed single-sided. I stopped printing their copies on double-sided paper since invariably the customer (or I) will screw up one of the pages during the signing and at least in my opinion, its replacement needs to be an exact copy… and not include an extra copy of another page.

3 Likes

They are what they are (loan doc sizes). I assume some of the paper you describe is mandated by the State being my “typical” package is 90 to 130 pages. If it seems to be one title company over the others that send you more paper then you like you can always turn down the job.

Worse is when the signing service wants you to fax back the entire package. I had to do that once. I even asked if they needed/wanted all those no signature documents and instructions. They said yes.

If they have a link of the documents then they aren’t getting a second copy from me. I understand exactly why you would print double sided for the borrowers copy.

I could not be more agree than what you said, I feel so bad that we waste our nature( those trees😢!!!) resource badly by printing those unnecessary paper. The little companies are able to provide for them electronically! I just had a terrible situation I got call for last minute , after I print 160 pages plus 160 as copy for signer total of 320 pages while I was on my way to the place the signer called and cancelled the appointment and when I asked for printing and travelling fee the reduce my fee!!!
now I do not have any choice to double print or ask the signer if they need the second copy to reduce my paper cost , ink, and reduce damaging my printer , because they do not care :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

The average size package I get is between 120 pages to 180 pages mostly 170​:thinking::open_mouth::disappointed_relieved:

What type of digital media do you put their documents on?

1 Like

If your pay reflects the time, labor and materials to do the job, what does it matter the size of the documents or how many copies? You either are not requesting/requiring sufficient fees for your work or you are in the wrong business. I don’t fully understand the complaint.

2 Likes