Quick question: probate

Is any one familiar with doing a probate package signing???
I’m not sure what that means

@jennjoneis In my direct experience, when an Attorney reaches out about these types of packages, they’re normally referring to establishment/updating Trusts, Wills, etc. in other words “Life Planning documents.

These engagements usually take at least 1 hour (possibly 2 or more hours) contingent upon the number of parties present.

Of course, the only way you’ll know for certain is to query your client in order to best prepare.

From data gleaned within your previous posts, you’re ready/prepared my friend.

:swan:

1 Like

Thanks cNsa5. It looks like there will be a total of 6 signers so I will definately
let the hiring party know that my fee is going way up!

3 Likes

@jennjoneis Normally, they’ll state that there are “only 5 or 6 documents” that need notarizations.

When you arrive, you’ll discover that each party present is sitting in front of a 3-ringed binder that holds about 100 pages each. True, there are only 5 or 6 notarizations, BUT the Attorney usually REVIEWS the document contents with each person . . . DURING the signing engagement.

Also, some of the documents will require Witnesses, which adds additional time/effort to the signing engagement.

I’ll let you do the math on this one!

Oh snap! Let me get myself out of this mischeif. They can find somebody else to do this
because with all of that foolishness I might charge $600!!!

1 Like

@jennjoneis These types of Signing Engagements can be quite lucrative.

You just need to be diligent with your questions about the signing engagement that detail out the time requirements & then you’ll be able to accurately assess their needs & calculate an appropriate fee for your professional services.

1 Like

It looks like there’s a little bit of family rivalry in this case… Oh boy. This might be the red flag.

@jennjoneis :scream: . . . :scream: . . . :scream: . . .

1 Like

@jennjoneis 6 signers and family rivalry? Based on my experience, this does not sound like an Estate Planning signing but, rather, a signing of heirs in a probate case where someone has passed and their estate needs to be distributed/dealt with. Many times these include agreements from some to a compromise, such as “okay, I’ll accept the car as my share, the rest of you can divide what’s left” or signing off on waiving their claim to any real estate involved.

Can get testy - surprised the attorney isn’t having them in their office or doing a mail-away. In any event, make sure you’re only making one trip and everyone will be there together and you’re not stuck sitting around all day waiting for each party to show up.

Good luck. Let us know how it worked out.

2 Likes

What a mess! I’m letting the hiring company know all of my concerns
It sounds like this just needs to be cancelled. There are too many unknowns
and we were going to meet at one of the relatives homes instead of a law office
NO WAY! I can’t answer legal questions any way…

2 Likes

Well, you could always keep it, quoting a fee that would adequately compensate you for what you’re doing - but have the attorney on speaker phone and available to answer any questions. It may sound more intimidating than it really is.

Whatever you decide, Jenn, good luck

2 Likes

That’s the other interesting part. I called the attorney and she gave me another contact because she will not be available to answer questions. That other contact can only be contacted via email
and does not respond quickly…

1 Like

Wow…okay - to me, that’s a major red flag and I’d be leery too. Sounds like nobody wants to deal with this family!!

1 Like

Definitively a “Hard PASS” on this one . . .

Your supplemental explanation of the “family rivalry” further elucidated the type of signing engagement that this will be! Thanks for the details.

Best wishes with your decision.

1 Like

Probate signing are usually straight forward. There’s usually multiple documents consisting of a Will, Trust Documents, Real property inventory, a schedule of heirs (those who intended to receive part of the estate), etc… If the grantor(s) have passed it’s often the closing documents for the Estate.

Since you’re working for/with a law firm they’re usually easy and cooperative to engage. This is where my focus has been since the changes in Real Estate. If you can handle a VA Refi, probate will seem like a walk down the Yellow Brick Road. :dancer:

2 Likes

Good to know for the future. In this case one of the signers scared me
during the confirmation call so I let it go. Something about a family rivalry and money owed…

1 Like

Often times folks discover things about their kin that were long buried secrets that other kin will deny occurred.

2 Likes

@jennjoneis Thank you for your update & insights.

1 Like

If its going to be hostel, I would turn it down. Not worth the drama.

1 Like

Hi there
I found this subject intriqueing as my property is going through Probate and I’m still waiting for the final documents. I am just looking forward to assumming the mortgage and getting on with my life.

1 Like