Scan backs

Just don’t except the job if they want scan backs or buy your own scanner for a few hundred.

I did not know this existed! Thank you for the information. Wish I’d known this before I invested so much money in a copier, paper, etc.

True. The reason for all the scanbacks are due to lots of errors being made by less experienced SAgents who are not checking their work.

1 Like

Hi, What kind of scanner do you have?

We should all be compensated for extra services. When you get a text for a low fee which includes scanbacks, quote your larger fee and explain it’s for the extra service.

You paid probably $330 total? How long did it take you to earn back that money in scanback signings? That’s quite a bit of volume I’m thinking. I don’t do scanbacks for that very reason.

It only takes 5-10 minutes because you can put up to 30 pages at once. Most of the signings in the beginning all wanted scan backs even though I was an escrow officer before for 25 years. Made about $1,800.00 the first month. It’s all just a part of doing business and the more you accept with less requirements or nickel and diming for everything done. It’s better just to give a flat fee and figure sometimes you have to scan. Now I hardly need it but when I do I’m really grateful I have it.

2 Likes

I always charge extra for scanning cause I hate it sometimes they accept some times they don’t. I let them find a sucker

You can purchase a scanner and write it off. But you should still be paid extra for your time! You need to know ahead of time if there’s scan backs and you need to negotiate! I charge anywhere from $20-$50 extra for scan backs. Good luck

We all have to have a good, fast scanner/copier with dual trays. Since interest rates dropped to record lows, there has been a bigger demand for loans to be signed. Title and escrow co’s have a reliable list of local notaries who they prefer to use because 1) they have a lot of experience with closings,2) they come from the industry. However with recent demand they are using notaries with little to no experience just to get loans signed and use signing co’s out of desperation. They want to gain points with their clients, the title and escrow co’s they contract with, so they want to insure that packages will be returned without mistakes, thus requiring scan backs. Signing co’s rely on a steady stream of newbies who they can train. They also make $ off of you by reducing fees and sometimes making things up- it’s always the notaries fault. I was in the habit of scanning all packages and saving them with some co’s just to prove that I didnt make the mistake they accused me of. I spent 5,000 on a good copier like a copy store or title co has. The only way to make $ as a notary is to have a mail message center that includes notary services or work ONLY directly with local title and escrow co’s.

1 Like

Until the entire nation embraces RON, scanning is part of life for an NSA. Spending money for a stand-alone scanner or an all-in-one printer scanner is not just a good idea it’s a must. Someone commented they would not spend $330 because the payback would require great volume and he will not do scanbacks for that reason. I totally disagree. If you charge $100 per signing you could pay off the printer in about 4 signings, for me that’s about two days. To turn down signings because of scanning requirements would reduce my signing volume by about 1/3.
The math shows this would be disastrous. And again, as many people have opined, the total fee you accept should have room for scanning. On lower paying jobs a scanning fee is deserved. If I received an offer of $125 (for example) I would try for a scanning fee but would not turn the job down if my fee increase was not accepted. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot!

1 Like

I use an app called Scanner Pro on my iPhone. But I do ask for more.

I don’t even bother with it anymore

1 Like

No scan backs going on here. 16 years invested into the closing business. :sunglasses::

2 Likes

Invest in a decent scanner. The $200-$400 investment is a lot cheaper than paying FedEx. When the offer comes in for $80, I look at what is required and reply I am available, my fee is $xxx. If they agree, I do the job. If not they can look elsewhere. If they ask for scans after the fee is negotiated I charge $20. With a good scanner that 180-200 pages is about 10-15 minutes work. There are times scan-backs are necessary, non-rescission loans, purchases etc. I build the cost of scan-backs into my price for those services.

2 Likes

Awesome! This is valuable information :tipping_hand_woman: :ok_hand:

From my experience, the hiring party includes a shipping label in the documents…as well as instructions.

1 Like

Looking at it from the Title office point of view scan backs are sometimes needed that same day to fund a loan on a deadline like FHA Loans or Purchase Loan closings which if you have the capability to do scan backs ads value to your business.

THANK YOU!
Today I received a job offer from “X company” for a reverse mortgage first application for $50… I accepted it, since I’m a newbie and wanted to try something new. I have done jobs with this low ball company before, accepting $30-$75, that includes refinances, purchase, loan modifications. Today, after accepting the job I emailed the company asking for $150 + $25 for scanback. I knew they were going to remove me from their 200 PAGES documents set, plus one set for the borrowers!!!
I told them that regardless I’m new in the business I know my value… I’m very meticulous and punctual at all of my signings, I also told them that all my signings (with them and other companies) have been error free and have I never been to a borrower house for a 2nd signature. They have my work in record, they know is true, I wasn’t lying… they just removed me from the assignment. I’m a newbie and I have read people’s opinions complaining about newbies complaints! But is not fair! and if we, all newbies, keep taking this kind of offers down the line the experienced ones will get affected!
I’m very well organized
I’m on time
I dress professional, even if it’s for a $30 signing.
I read every single page to make sure where signatures go, and I even red flag with posties those signatures… to make sure not one single signature is missing, and to make it easy for the borrowers and myself.
I go back home and scan 100% of the documents and upload, even if they don’t ask for it.
I make sure the package goes in the next FedEx or UPS pickup!
YES! I’m a newbie, but I have same expenses as an experienced NSA and I have all the intention to do good at this, plus I love the interaction with people, so far nice people :+1:

3 Likes

Some things about application signings (a/k/a or f/k/a “Respa Signings” - now called "Initial Disclosures, I believe)

#1 - My fee for these was always the same as the signing fee because they took just as long and were just as labor-intensive - especially Reverse apps.

#2 - I NEVER agree with “we promise you the closing so you’ll be paid then” - no - suppose I don’t get the final closing? Suppose I’m booked? Suppose the loan doesn’t go through (which I’ve seen reverse mortgages not go through for a myriad of reasons) - this is two separate transactions, therefore two separate fees - and each fee is due within 30 days (was my own procedure).

#3 - With apps I only ever had to print one copy of all the docs and collect the supporting docs - never had to print a copy for the signers; out of courtesy I used to leave them a copy of the Estimated Closing Statement (containing all their fees) .

My .02 FWIW