WARNING: Signing Services of America Experience

I had the same issue with them. I called and called and emailed 100 times before they paid me. I get so frustrated with companies like this. They want us to jump but they won’t pay. Call the title company on the docs.

Lilly,

just follow me on this one. There’s no one size fit’s all type of way of doing business with Title companies. Although I work directly with 5 title companies, there are others who just weren’t interested in working with me at the time or preferred to continue working with a signing agency which is totally okay.

Here are my personal thoughts on marketing plans.

A marketing package will never convey what your Capabilities, Character or Moral Ethics are. A marketing packet doesn’t say if you take short cuts to save time, paper or ink. It won’t show that your come on time, are courteous, polite and knowledgeable. Somethings require face-to-face interactions and conversations…and I believe earning someone’s business is one of those things. Call me old fashion, but are you going to hire the real estate agent that sent you marking material in the mail that says they want to sell your home or the person you met face-to-face looked in to their eyes and asked question to?

Don’t get me wrong, I do believe marking plans can be effective, however they just aren’t something I use when doing business.

It’s a personal judgement call that will need to be made by you, but I’d say it’s not worth it to place a lien for $100-150.00 dollars. Call it a loss, and write it off and never do business with them again.

But again, it’s totally your call on this type of thing.

Hello all. I finally did get paid. So no dramatic action was taken except for stalking their AP department every day.

Thats exactly what I needed to hear. Can u tell me whether or not its mandatory to be Fidelity approved in order to go direct? Im in NJ and cant get a straight answer

Wisconsin is cheap too. But, you also have the right to charge for travel. Many notaries get concerned when they don’t have enough notarizations in a package to justify their fee. Quick rule be of thumb in our speciality niche is that the number of notarizations is only important at tax time. After you deduct mileage, phone charges, internet, etc. Then you multiply the number of notarizations you performed during the year and deduct on that special little line placed in the tax form just for notaries. If you have a tax person do your taxes you might have to inform them of this tax break.

So, in short, travel fees and notary fees make up your fee per signing.

1 Like

Oh! I thought I would have to detail everything earned, to my accountant… the whole fee of each loan signing.

Nope, But I do suggest summarizing each month so you know where you stand. Also, you can give the monthly summaries to your accountant and your done. In the 20 years I’ve done loan closings I’ve never paid over $90 in any year. I’m an accountant. Usually I have to lower my expenses do I pay something.

I’m not quite understanding, what about the rest of signings fee? Not only notarizations. I still will receive a tax deduction form from vendors :thinking:

You’ll receive a 1099 from clients. You get expense deductions for any cost if doing business. Mileage is the largest. Of course I tend to do alit if distance closings.

Your fee is just your income. I have only been questioned once by a customer/signer about why my fee was more than the state notary fee multiplied by the number of notarizations. I explained that we are allowed to charge for transportation including time and mileage. But it’s unlikely you would be questioned.

I had a jerk from a title company in Wisconsin try to stiff me by complaining to the SOS because I insisted on being paid. I traveled 3 hours each way and only charged him $250. The SOS told him to pay. The notarization of part of the fee was only $80.00. SOS said I could enforce the travel fees as well as the notary fees. Then the clerk at the SOS called me so I would know the resolution of his “complaint”. She called him a deadbeat. We were both laughing.

Back to taxes. You wii find that to you have little to no income or taxes after mileage and office expenses. BTW, I don’t take the home office deduction do I don’t have to account for it when I well my home. But that’s me. And I still wipe out my income before taxes with all of my legal writeoffs.

If you aren’t sure about this give me a call. If your accountant doesn’t know about the notarization deduction call.

Now to be clear. It’s self employment tax that notarizations are not subject to. But your taxable will be so low after deductions that your personal exemptions will eliminate taxes…

Like I said. I have never paid taxes that I didn’t first have to lower my legal expenses. I like to pay something to stay off the audit list.

1 Like

@vclore30 Did you receive your payment after 45 days? I finally got my check through e-check Delux 32 days later? You will definitely not want to give up and call them.

Very well explained, @joannieh :+1:
I cracked up about the TC guy, he thought he was going to get away with your hard , earned money, especially after 6 hrs drive … still cheap

@vclore30 I have done many signings for them over the years with minimal issues. I just got a check for $325 returned from my bank … refer to maker. That makes me believe non sufficient funds, but I don’t know for sure. I called and got Phil Hogan Jr on the phone, he was going to talk to his dad. That was almost a week ago. To date no response. I have called numerous times and no matter what extension you dial it goes to VM. I have send an email with the notice from my bank, no response to email. I am very concerned they are in trouble. I will keep trying, but I am feared I will be stiffed. Let’s hope not.

@vclore30 And if you finally do get a check it might bounce … mine did! Also, now all of a sudden they don’t answer phone calls or emails. I think something not good is up with them. All the signs point to them going out of business. Theses things are never good, but this time of year makes it really rough!
I would like to know what email you are using for accounting. I am using the admin@ with no luck.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve been paid for this signing. We apologize for any unintentional payment delay. Please report to this forum you did get paid. Thanks

Mary,
Glad we got you paid asap!
Our accountant wrote you on 12/7/22 that a bank security feature was incorrectly set resulting in your paycheck being returned.

Attached is a copy of the payment from our bank.

Also, we see the most recent order you accepted and got paid for was 3/22/23.

[Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 2.54.28 PM) - Redacted my Forum moderators. Banking account information visible

Hi, I’m sure you’ve gotten paid for this signing. Would be nice if you could reflect that in a post.

Hi Phil. Just to be clear I did finally get paid. I have done many signings with them with no issues until this. I was extremely frustrated at the time because I was having so much trouble getting it resolved. I guess the moral to the story is we all go through difficult times in our business. Apparently Signing Services of America was dealing with some Banking (fraud) issues that was no fault of theirs. After this got cleared up I have resumed accepting signings from them and have been paid in a timely manner. I just want to clear this up. Signing Services of American is a good and legit company to work with. Thanks Phil!

You and other nsa’s are a vital component to our success. To do wrong by you all would be to do wrong by my company and that will not happen!!
Thanks for the clarity and kind words!

@phogan Is your business still going? I have tried several times in the past two week to sign up, however, when gong to the website it states that it is “coming soon”.