Sometime i worry that the signing company may not pay me

i did some signing via snapdocs, and also some signing agencies. it takes 30-45 days to get paid. I now start to worry maybe some company may not pay me at all.

I am not sure how to check out the good standing of a signing agencies.

anybody have some unpleasant experience like this.

I have not did any business with any SS yet. But if it takes 30 to 45 days to pay, they will not get anymore service from me until they pay after those 30 or 45 days.

The only thing I do to save time during the signing is pre write the state and county, my name and title, name of signers, then I watch them sign the docs, I then sign and stamp after. I pre record in my journal the type of docs and property address. That is after I confirm the appointment. I do those because if I have to do all the logging, it could really take a lot of time and at one time I have to notarize 13 signatures. I only write the driver’s license one time, then just copy and finish the journal when I get home.

if you have to do 13 notaries for one signer, do we have to write the entry on our journal for 13 times, or we just input one entry, and list all the 13 documents name?
i am confused how many entries have to do for one single signer if he or she has multiple documents to notarize.

Lucy - where are you located? It depends on your state; here in FL we can list the notarized docs/acts in one entry (sometimes need two for excessive notarizations) but only have to list the signer info and signature once. CA requires one line per notarization - so 13 notarizations in CA with one signer would be 13 entries and signatures, for 2 signers, would be 26 entries and signatures…and so on

It depends on your state’s journal requirements

thank you very much for your input. i am in california. i will double check with my notary school. I usually only do one entry. but i will check if i have to do multiple entry for one signer’s multiple notary form.

Check your handbook and also check the newsletter your SOS also puts out - it’s spelled out in there - you may have to go back several previous ones but they did address this exact question some time ago…it’s S.O.P., one entry per notarized signature.

Here - page 2-3 of this newsletter -

No need to go back just make sure moving forward you are doing one line for each notarization per signer.

What are the names of the signing services? Why are you worried they may not pay? Has it been past the 30-45 day mark?

In California it is required to put one line per entry but some Signing Agents put multiple documents for one signature line and thumbprint. Remember that you may have to furnish a copy of a line from the journal for a legal problem and that is when the shortcut will be discovered. Another problem is that you are supposed to differentiate between a Jurat, Certified Copy or Acknowledgement. This is difficult when you have multiple documents on one entry. You might think the risk of ‘getting caught’ is small and go on using the multiple document/one signature approach but it is not the way you are supposed to record notarizations.
There are several ways to deal with this pressure, one is to buy your journals three or four at a time, as you get a discount. Another is to record the full information for the Deed of Trust entry and then put the date and first name of the signer on the other entries to fill out later. Do not use ditto marks! They are not acceptable and they are really hard to incorporate into the information when you fill in the journal. I would say for the DOT, Certificate of Trust, Grant Deeds, Quit Claims, Interspousals, and any exotic documents make sure to have a single entry. Buyers packages and Seller packages too. Refis are about the ‘safest’ bet that there will not be litigation as it is usually the same owner and property. There are always exceptions. When you do a single entry for each acknowledgement, you will understand why low-ball fees will have you working for free.

Just follow up with a phone call, and find out when their new check run is, and what dates does that cover.
If it after your signing date, you need to request proof of payment!

Good luck

thank you so much for the help. I did got a check on time for a company that I have never worked before. so now I worry less.

Snapdocs pays. General rule is signings completed 1st - 15th are paid on the 30th, 16th - 30th are paid the 15th of the following month (if using Vendorpay). That said, I’ve often had to wait an extra 2 weeks for signings closed on the 28th, 29th or 30th.

If the company is paying outside Vendorpay, they follow their own schedule.

Best advice? Develop a firm billing policy of your own and stick to it, regardless. If you always send a past due notice at 30 days, then you will always know which of your accounts remains unpaid. That is one of the best ways to determine which companies you want to avoid.

To check company standings, read the forums. This is my absolute favorite. I also belong to notaryrotary.com - while I rarely bother with postings there, they have a very good rating system for companies.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what is meant by Vendor Pay?

Can anyone tell me the accounting phone number for US Signings. I have some past due invoices that haven’t been paid yet.

30-45 days is not unusual. It is up to us to track out work and follow up with payments. I’ve yet to use a company who never pays.

thank you for all replying me back. It seems all these company I did loan doc signing for did pay me after 30 days. It just seems very long.

thank you all.

1 Like

I’m no official anything just a notary like you. My state doesn’t require that I keep a journal, I guess I’m lucky for that but I keep one anyway but not for established contracts with companies. I record one off permission slips, POA etc. Companies have record or who they put you with. The contract and acceptance of the job offer means you were there and every package is required to have a patriot act that we fill out for the signers, this covers the bases of having actually verified the signers to the point I feel we shouldn’t have to keep a log much less for every single form. I may get backlash comments on this but this is how I have done things for over 500 signings and have been no issues. I do stash away my confirmation emails as it pretty much outlines everything and doesn’t cost me but half a second to add it to a folder. If it makes you happy to log it all, by all means.

This is for the sake pf other, pay attention to contracts, Net 30 is quite common but some of these places try and sneak net 60 and one hit me with net 90… needless to say that was a one and done working with that 90 day company.