Coronavirius concerns

Anyone concerned about continuing notary signings with coronavirus? Any idea of what protocol witll be? Esignings only?? Will our business will be halted??

1 Like

I’ve thought about it, but that’s about as far as I’ve gotten. It’s hard to say what’s going to happen, business could totally flop OR boom if people become too worried about leaving their houses. Who know’s what’ll happen!? I guess my biggest concern is that I’m taking a risk by going to people’s homes that I don’t know who may be infected.

7 Likes

I’m not worried yet, but will continue to monitor the situation. Precautions so far: stay six feet from others, omit handshakes, use rubber fingertip covers to help sort through papers (finger-licking strictly forbidden).

My state has a law allowing in-person electronic notarization and remote notarization, but not until the Office of Professional Regulation issues rules. No rules have been issued, so Vermont notaries are not allowed to do this yet.

3 Likes

I disinfect pens already and try to position myself at a little distance if I have obviously sick signers. I’ve never caught any virus at a signing, yet.

I take colostrum capsules every day which has been extremely effective in increasing my immunity to colds, etc. I used to get terrible colds every winter, which would last for weeks, but since going on colostrum 17 years ago have only had 2 colds and they were very mild 3-4 day colds. My husband and I both caught Dengue Fever on a trip to India a few years ago. He was very sick and I had a very gentle case. My doctor said that I wasn’t sick enough to have Dengue but a blood test confirmed it - I credit the colostrum for protecting me. I hope that a strong immune system would be helpful if ever exposed to Covid-19.

I expect that there might be a time to wear a mask, as a precaution to neither spread or contract. They say that masks don’t keep you safe, but I still think they provide a degree of safety or they wouldn’t be used so extensively by the medical community. I bought some years ago and plan to make some nicer looking ones. Hopefully, will never need them. When I fly, ever since the Ebola problems, I carry a few masks (and gloves), and still do just in case, if I’m near someone who is obviously sick, but usually opt to wear a long scarf that I can pull up over my face - a little more discreet. I’ve also never caught a virus while flying. My biggest risk is probably from kids/grand kids :frowning: . Lowering risk is better than no precaution at all. I would still probably wait until my area has the virus but if/when it turns up here, I think the signers would appreciate precautions. Even common viruses are enough of a nuisance that I want to avoid them.

1 Like

Right now I’m just taking precautions everywhere I go (especially the grocery store).

One big change I’ve made, which I was about to do anyway was start carrying SortKwik in my notary brief case. They make small containers and you can get it at Walmart or office supply stores. Just rub some on your fingers and it makes sorting through papers super easy without licking your fingers to get the job done.

That along with sanitizing pens, serious hand washing, and always carrying hand sanitizer should help and are good ideas regardless of Coronavirus.

I hope we all stay healthy.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about it as well. There are several cases in California and 3 confirmed in my county. And with the stock market taking a nose dive because of it, interest rates are really low so my phone has been ringing nonstop to do signings. I carry hand sanitizer with me but I’m going to start taking a few more precautions.

2 Likes

I actually have been careful to clean my hands after every signing for the last few years as I have gotten sick from signers previously. But it is good practice, better safe than sorry, right!

1 Like

Thanks for bringing up this sensitive subject. I am officially terrified now that we have 2 people infected with COVID19 in CO:(. I have 3 signings tomorrow, the first one starts 7am, then the last one is with a Flight Attendant- this one I’m scared to go to. I even called the Title lady and told her that I am scared to go to this particular signing and explained why. She said they can reassign if I don’t feel comfortable. She called back and said I can ask if the individual had traveled recently. Or I can give up my signing:( Ugh, I can’t do that. It’s inappropriate and not legal to ask because it will create a bias against the client before you see them. I don’t want to lose signing opportunities but don’t want to get sick either:(. I’m also working in health care profession and we can’t ask a client for example if they have AIDS or something like that before we see them. It’s against the law. Thank God I only work with one same client at home.
So for my NSA job I can either take a break from accepting any more signings or just have to be extra careful to clean pens, wipe hands asap when I get in the car and PRAY!
I have surgical gloves and masks in my NSA briefcase for me and for signers if needed but have not pull them out yet because I didn’t want the clients to feel uneasy. Ultimately it is up to me to continue living or hide away from the world!

1 Like

I do have the same concern, I do live in Orange County and my area has a large asian community, chinese to be exact and many signings I go to are with chinese nationals, I actually have encountered difficult situations like hand shaking, I was turned down 3 times by them which to be honest I felt relieved but on the same token I don’t want to be rude, I have told some of the clients that due to coronavirus I am not shaking hands and please accept my apology. I do carry hand sanitizer, alcohol and disinfectant towels, I do disinfect pens, seal and thumbprinter before each signing, I do have latex gloves and I am planning to use those starting tomorrow, I don’t have face masks but I am hoping to get some since they are sold out everywhere. Two signers already welcome me with their masks on, I have to be honest it was awkward. So yes this is a bit hard to deal with but we have to be in control, wash your hands before each signing as well, I did ask my last client to please allow me to wash my hands I am sure they felt happy about it. Take as many precautions as needed and be safe.

3 Likes

Right now I am more concerned about the Flu.Everyone is forgetting it is flu season also, and more people have died from the flu! At the current time of the whole world population less than 1% have developed symptoms of the coronvirius. The flu worldwide kills anywhere from 250,000 to 500,000 each year and there is a flu vaccine! You should have been washing you hands all the time anyway.If your healthy the threat is minimal. We don’t have open borders like most of Europe and we don’t have a communist country like China who hid this for months.I think we will be ok just keep working if you get business and follow general hygiene rules and you should be fine

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yikes! I have a loan signing scheduled for this Saturday at the Children’s Hospital! I have to say that I am a little nervous!

1 Like

Last night, the signer pulled out her disinfecting wipes and we both wiped the pens and the signing table together. It was a real team effort:).

1 Like

I’m in Kitsap County WA State nearly ground zero for this virus in the US. Main counties affected so far are King, Pierce and Snohomish Counties. I’m 70 years old and a diabetic so in at risk category but will not stop living my life but will use basic common sense and good cleanliness practice. As my donation to the cause, carry a fresh box of pens and gift signing pen to signer(s). Figure small price to pay to not pass germs of any kind. Cost = 65 cents each and to me this is a business expense. Have ordered washable masks from Amazon but will hold off a while prior to using. I’ve lived this long and have been exposed to a lot of bad germs. My go to supplement is Wellness Formula by Source Naturals for over 40 years and I only take as needed to maintain my immune system. My adult children also follow protocol.

2 Likes

All real estate activities have been shut down by the Pennsylvania Governor yesterday. Your concerns are valid.

1 Like

California governor Newsom has issued an order to “stay at home” as of midnight last night. We are allowed to go out to grocery shop, get to medical visits, and exercise outdoors. I’m not sure if there are any consequences for breaking this order…yet. I got a call this morning from a signing agency, to do a signing at 6pm tonight. I asked if they had heard about the order. The girl on the phone said yes but title wanted it done anyway. I declined the job even though I would really like to do it if circumstances were different. I’m healthy and relatively young so I’m not too concerned about dying from this or getting extremely ill but I would like to follow the rules and help the community. I have 2 jobs lined up next week that I accepted last week. Are there any other CA notaries in this situation?

2 Likes

I have stopped doing signings for the last week and have been staying home. I have told all my regular contractors and escrow companies that I am not working currently. I have seen lots of posting online with new info on how to conduct signings to be safe and alot are starting to sound ridiculous. I have heard some are doing it outside, or in borrowers garage, everyone one wearing gloves and masks. Also heard some doing it curbside from inside their cars. I think that all is risky since our signers have to touch almost everything that we touch, pens, journal, documents, ink stamp. I am also surprised that the price for signings has not increased yet. We are on the front lines and putting ourselves and our health in harms way. I am out for now. Stay safe out there if you are still working. Just hope that I will be able to get business back.

5 Likes

I have decided not to take signings the last 2 weeks of March. I will re-evaluate the pandemic situation again at the beginning of April. I don’t want to wear masks and gloves. I have always kept a bottle of antibacterial liquid inside the car to use after each closing, then wash my hands at the first opportunity after each home. I did this before any virus. I can say I have never gotten sick from a home I have visited. I am not afraid, I just want to follow the guidelines of my county, recommending 2 weeks avoiding travel and trying to stay at home. I live in Indiana and I have been a Notary since 2009.
I truly enjoy doing signing, and now I can tell I miss it terrible by taking a “brake” from providing this service.
Hope you stay safe and healthy!

1 Like

Agree with your statement ~ doing the same thing ~ I’m in Kitsap County, WA State.

1 Like

I have a signing at noon. After that, I won’t be doing anymore until this virus is not a danger. Washington State hasn’t declared a lock-down or stay-in-place order.
My daughter has immune-compromised health and it is advised I should not expose myself.
This will be quite a hardship for me, but her health is my priority.
For those who can still do signings, I wish you good health.

1 Like