Documents not arriving until last minute

Among other issues I have as a notary, this one really frustrates me. Here I sit waiting for the title company to send me documents for a closing in less than 2 hours. The only response I get is they will be here “shortly,” which is completely vague. Is it too much to get a reasonable response? Meanwhile, I’m trying to get to another closing scheduled, and will have to scramble last minute to get everything printed and get through traffic or pay out the nose to print docs at a print shop. I have considered asking for more money, when this occurs. Are there any other clever solutions that people have worked out to politely let a title officer know that they are screwing up your entire day?

2 Likes

Get permission from title to reschedule time (not date) of signing and put this one at the end of the line - if your schedule and borrowers’ allows. For me if docs weren’t in my hands within 90 minutes of closing time I either kicked it back to hiring party or rescheduled time. My home county is big and unless the signing is right next door I need to allow for travel time…so 90 minutes was my absolutely no way Jose time

1 Like

This is just an example of what I do if closing is at 9am the next day.
I call and email to say, “Please kindly have the docs ready for printing by midnight because I will need time to print, review, flag and have everything ready before closing at 9am. If you are not able to get them in by midnight please reassign, Thank you.”

Luckily, 99.9% of the singing and title companies have the docs in between 12 hours to 7 days before scheduled signings for me:) But I never print docs until the night before! For those who are slow in getting the docs in, I give them at least 6 hours to get them in otherwise they will need to reassign to someone else.

5 Likes

@jbot OMGoodness! Why are docs always so late? I had a signing at a real estate office, and I was told that the package was sent there overnight by Fedex. I arrived an hour early to look over the docs and prepare, and the docs were not there. They came in about 15 minutes before the closing and then it took so long to print, I started with 20 pages, and worked through the closing (buyers and sellers) as the papers came off the printer. It was crazy!! I know there must be a good reason that docs come in at the last minute. Knowing what that reason is would go a long way toward grace.

1 Like

@srj I would love to work with those title companies. I am new to the game, but I have NEVER gotten documents the day before, I am fortunate to get them 2 hours before the signing. It has gotten so bad, that I have started to turn down any assignment that is more that 20 minutes from my home, and still I am usually grabbing them off the printer and running out the door which means I am seeing the docs for the first time at the signing table.

1 Like

That makes so much sense. I have never even thought to ask to reschedule the time because of late docs. I am going to try that.

2 Likes

Agreed. If they can’t get the docs for you on time, definitely ask to reschedule or ask to reassign to someone else! I don’t know about you but I need to have enough time to print, review and flag them, so I don’t look like an idiot in front of the customers.

Just got back from my 3rd closings today! Everything dropped off on time so they can get their docs back by Monday!
Switching my brain from NSA to Painter! Now painting for an Art Gallery/Juried Art Show! Wish me luck! :scream:

8 Likes

You are waiting in limbo for late docs, considering paying out of pocket to print documents that you won’t get reimbursed and missing business and facing the possibility of the signing getting cancelled at the last minute. You must value your business and time and consider both are too valuable to be abused

6 Likes

Sometimes this helps. If you have Office Depot or Office Max in your area, register with PN.SavingCenter.net. Use their card at either Depot or Max and print for 2 1/2 cents per page instead of paying 15 to 18 cents per page. Be aware their BIG fancy looking floor model printers are much slower than a good dual tray printer like a professional notary will have at home.

3 Likes

Check out my YouTube video on the subject

17 Likes

This has honestly been the only real issue I have at all with the signing business. It is difficult to make this a full-time career if you have to wait by the printer. So, to help with this I just purchased a dual tray printer and scanner so that I can take my existing all-in-one with me when I go.

3 Likes

Wow, you covered everything pertaining to this situation. So helpful. Thank you!

3 Likes

Delayed documents are my biggest headache.
I will try to get an ETA on docs and the contact information of the title company closer after I confirm the appointment with the borrower. If the docs are not delivered when promised, I then pester the signing company/title company giving the signing company a 90-120 minute deadline prior to appointment for doc delivery or they can reassign as others have recommended.
I am a retired mortgage banker with over 40 years experience. Most of the time, it is the lender holding things up putting the title company in the same position as I am. Some lenders allow the loan officer to schedule a closing with the loan not approved and that’s when the scrambling starts. Quality lenders with a focus on high levels of customer satisfaction get things dome in expected timelines.

4 Likes

You’re welcome! Check out the other videos on my YouTube channel, you may find them helpful!

4 Likes

I just followed you on Instagram and YouTube! :wave:

2 Likes

5 Likes

I love your videos. I’ve been active as a signing agent for about a month now and your videos have been very helpful. So thank you! I also love your hair :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re very welcome! And thank you! :grin:

If you haven’t already check out my FREE Exclusive Webinar!

Thank you for the detailed explanation. At no time did I ever think that anyone’s biggest worry was getting docs to the notary. Nor have I ever underestimated all of the work behind the scenes of the loan and escrow industry. I know everybody works really hard! I’m fine taking last minute closings, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be in this business. The only part of it that I’m confused about- is why escrow will set up a last minute order when they don’t even have docs ready? There are literally 50 notaries or more, ready to take a closing at any time of day and location, (In my town), so why not set up the order when all docs are ready to go?

1 Like

Thank you Travis for your explanation. Your comments were very helpful to understand the reasons that documents may arrive untimely.