Does anyone charge a cancelation fee?

Of course you did! Why wouldn’t you. You are a trusted Notary for the company your working for and I am sure they have confidence you’re doing the right thing. If it should ever happen again I still suggest paying 2.5 cents per copy instead of .25! EC Purchasing has many discounts for business members. Be sure to take a look. I have no stake in the company, just trying to help another Notary.

1 Like

one of my best customers just notified me of a cancellation at 1 pm today
I know they will make it up to me but I have another customer who asked me to do a last minute signing 200 pages… I’m charging them 25$ print fee since i finally got the client on the phone who said he never made the appt his wife is in the hospital…

Don’t you get paid for the full agreed signing fee? You kept your agreement, you’ve printed the docs but then they canceled? I get paid in full when I print docs within a certain time frame.

1 Like

No, most of my contracts will only pay half if the loan does not close and a small print fee if the docs are printed and it was canceled or changed. I would love to be paid if it cancels especially same day! I just don’t know any that will.

Mortgage Connect did not get documents to me in time for an appointment so I couldn’t make it. The next day they tried to lie their way out of it to no avail. So I told them they owed me a missed appointment fee for the burned time I could have used for another signing. They paid me something for the missed appointment but stated they don’t do usually do that and wouldn’t ever again. I stated that they should pay something for missed signings that are not in any way the signing agents fault. So they dropped me and won’t work with me at all. Before this incident they would tell me I’m one of the best signing agents they have.

1 Like

This issue rests entirely on us the Notaries Public. Just like low fees there will always be notaries that live with not getting paid for printing and cancellations.

Appraisers, on the other hand, get paid for their work regardless of the outcome. Either the lender has the borrower pay the appraisal fee in advance or they eat the cost if the loan doesn’t close.

My very good and preferred, but rare, customers pay in full regardless of the outcome. As mentioned elsewhere, it is worth working with good customers by not fussing over cancellations. Some customers, on the other hand just need to be fired or put on a pay in advance policy.

1 Like

I hold myself to a pretty high standard and been in the mortgage business for over 35 yrs. This is my retirement job so to lose a closing it not a big deal. Being inconsiderate of my time is! When I was a loan officer we were not allowed to put anything on the calendar that was not ready to go. That was to be considerate of the title company conducting the closing. I don’t know if a cancelation fee was being charged at that time but Ill bet it was.
Now here is an example…how would you handle this? Same borrower, same title company…Last Monday I was told after printing the package that the closing was canceled. Now that was probably less than 2 hrs before I was leaving. I let it go but asked for a printing fee. The title company rescheduled it for today. I had a gut feeling and called to remind the borrower of our appointment. SO glad I did. The borrower told me they canceled the closing YESTERDAY! I still have not received notice from the title company for a 3:00 close. They did however remove it from my queue when I looked on line after calling the borrower. Now why did they not send me an email? Not cool! That behavior stinks.
I would love to find a company that pays regardless but I have yet to find one.

Well, today, same borrower that canceled last week, same title company was rescheduled for today. After calling to confirm this morning, the borrower told me that they canceled YESTERDAY! I would not have known until I went to look again for docs and made a phone call. I still have not received an email so I called an told them that that was not cool. They wanted me to talk to the lender, unwilling to take responsibility for the blunder! I said" why the lender"? “you hired me”! We will see if I get kick back because I told them that was not professional. Twice same company, same borrower! I work with the company a lot and I forgave the first one but damn, twice in a row! YIKES.

Oh goodness!
I got one for you. So I did a signing about 3 weeks ago, three days later I was asked to re-do the signing for the same customers again because the lender messed up on a certain doc. I raised my fee for that 2nd signing request and completed the job. A couple days later I was asked to go back and re-do it again for the 3rd times because something else went wrong on the lender end again! That person should be fired in my opinion. Very unprofessional to put the customers through that again and again. Yes, they agreed that no error on my end on the two signings that I’ve completed. And they apologized. Unfortunately due to schedule conflict, I couldn’t take their 3rd request for that same order but I got paid for the two signings that I’ve done. I will presume the loan has been executed and funded after the 3rd times!

I do not accept Chase closing from Amrock in the morning or close to 5pm. Servicelink never did that when they had the contract.

So, here is a good one. Same company, same borrower. Something not right here. first couple of orders, it had a husband signing off on property rights, After canceling twice, they assign it to me a third time. They did not call just sent it. Lucky I was available. Now the husband is not mentioned and there is another person on the loan?? what happened to him??? So, I called the borrower to confirm and then again the morning of the closing. It was confirmed so I printed and prepped the entire package, left for my closing, knocked on the door and the new person on the loan answers the door and states" I cannot wake her up"! she took too many pain pills and she won’t wake up. She was not concerned because she was responsive but would not wake up. First of all, I would not have closed her if she was not all there in the head and able to make a sound judgment! from what I was told yesterday she has been heavily medicated for a while! When I left I repeated that to the title company. They said they were going to reschedule. I told them to find another notary. I was not getting involved with a person that was not mentally functioning. I think they are not happy with me because I refused another reschedule.

1 Like

Goodness! It’s part of the job! How shall I say this: “ It’s like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get“ :joy:
Speaking of the quote: This morning I received a call for a Seller Package for this Friday’s closing:) $195 not bad! Of course I took it! :dancer: :+1::clap:

Awesome! If they could all pay that well!

1 Like

Hi imcloser. Took you up on the EcPurchasing and it works like a charme. In Miami, I pay 2.5cents page so on average I print 400 pages for $10.00 for a 200 page package 2 times. I feel ok with letting the print folks do the work since they never leave my sight.
Thanks again.

I had a closing took me an hour to drive to… had a full copy for client …they sent 2 cd s with two sets of numbers and i had to collect or give wiring instructions client had to send money. But we couldn’t verify which cd was correct since no loan officer was available or anybody from the title company wasnt either. Client wouldnt sign
They only wanted to give me trip fee
I told them not acceptable…if someone was available we would gave completed the signing
Their mistake. Pay me
I got paid full fee…
It seems if you ask you get. This signing company is notorious for nonsense like this …wrong docs …wrong numbers. …they send me assignments. I just never take them

Can you name some of the companies ?

Sounds like that’s the way to do it. I’m gonna start trying this method. How do you handle the assignments if the documents are available for two different companies at the same time?

I am constantly getting ones where they are canceled and I am not told til I call in right when I need to print the docs The other day I had one cancelled and removed and borrower called asking where I was. Ugh. I don’t have time to constantly communicate with 5 other signings back to back. And I didn’t get paid $.01. I was on phone over 45 min with the borrower then the signing company. Frustrating

I know it. All you can do it tell them about it and let it go or not do business with them. I guess it is just part of the deal. I would like to charge them as they charge the lenders but no better way to lose business.