Does anyone charge a cancelation fee?

I am truly tired of cancelations a few hours before the closing. We all turn down other closing because we are booked and then without warning the closing is canceled… I know this is a normal part of business but this has grown to be a real problem. Your day and income is screwed. I was in loan origination for almost 30 years and was never allowed to schedule a signing unless it was ready to close. Now it seems to be normal practice. The only time I get paid is if I have already printed docs, then it is only a printing fee. What a waste of time.
Seems to be happening a lot lately or I would not bring it up. Had a couple the week before and 2 yesterday. In fact the entire month has been ladled with them! Yesterday it was a 3:00 and 5:30 and of course they did not cancel early in the day or at the same time so I could do what I needed to do. No, both within a little over an hour before. So does anyone charge a cancelation fee?

I would love to charge a cancellation fee. The questions are: Where would the money come from for the company to pay it and how do you collect on it.
It is sad to say that cancellations are just a “cost of doing business” in the notary world.
I do believe when a signing is scheduled, everyone believes it will happen. Sometimes life happens instead!

1 Like

What company please?

1 Like

I have had a few of these in the past couple months. the $25 fee is a joke. i spent 1 hour on the phone with the customer back and forth as the lender told them one thing and then another, etc. then the whole thing was cancelled that day and i got $25 because I had already printed the docs. go figure.

1 Like

I work with many companies. They are good companies but damn. The cancelations from yesterday were two different companies… So, it does not even matter who it is. Even if you print, the fee is a joke. what about preparation fees? I don’t know about you but I spend a lot of time prepping my package for an easy close. I know it is part of business but it is a sham to expect to cancel at the last minute. I cannot do that to my doctor. If I don’t cancel a day ahead, I get charged for a visit from my physical therapy.

1 Like

Oh heck, the one yesterday it turned out to be a $15.00 print fee! That is a joke.

1 Like

One time my printer didn’t want to cooperate so I ran to OfficeMax they charged me $30! :disappointed_relieved:

Who charged you $30.00 ? Yikes The closing company or Office Max?
I can fix Office Max for you. Contact me privately and I will give you the scoop on that.
lmcloser@twc.com

Office max did. I have Receipt

I now accept all signings but then when paperwork starts coming iin I cancel the one i don’t have paperwork to and explain because their paperwork was not there I accepted another job

3 Likes

Well I don’t think you can get that back I don’t but go to EC Purchasing and sign up to be a business member. Another Notary friend of mine turned me on to this when I first got in the business. After becoming a business member(free) you will get discounts at a lot of places including OfficeMax/Office Depot. You will get copies for 2.5 cents per page! You probably paid .17?
I have had to do that a couple times over the years in emergencies. You can email the file and pick it up if necessary. I know the lenders want us to print, in a perfect world…great. Sometimes you get in a jam.
You do have to let them know your a member and present the card it at checkout. I printed one and had it laminated.
I hope that helps.

1 Like

Where are you at? Here they charge 25 cents per page:(

Just spent over 1 hour today in correspondence with borrowers and signing company. even coming in early to work so i can make it to my appt early afternon. no docs here it is one hour before appt. well just received notice it was cancelled. so not one dime I receive. ugh!

Wisconsin. Use the EC Purchasing card info I gave you. Your charge probably will not be 2.5 per page like it is here but it will certainly be a lot cheaper than what you’re paying! Yikes. Check it out. Discounts on other items as well.

That’s my point! These companies don’t care if they waste your day.

Buy 2 of the same printers, one goes docs, you got a backup.
I own 5 printers, all the same. This is serious business, be ready for the unexpected.
That $30, would of bought me a another used printer on craigslist. I used HP 4000 & 4050.
Toner is cheap on Ebay and they last forever.

1 Like

Wow! 5 printers? That is serious:). Do you have subs?

Yikes. I would not have room to store them and then the tech gets outdated. Ill just stay with emergency OfficeMax printing at 2.5 cents per page.

You are never supposed to print client’s PRIVATE & FINANCIAL documents in a non-secure area.

1 Like

Yes, Thank you for the insight. I’m aware of that and contacted the title company that hired me and asked what I needed to do and they were OK with it. This happened months ago. But I made sure that everything was deleted immediately. Plus we printed directly from the secured title docs portal site. And that was the first and the last time. I bought another brand new HP M452dn printer and never had any problem since.