Manned package drop locations not owned by UPS or FedEx

Has anyone ever had a package refused because the shipping label from the title company doesn’t have the correct weight of the package? After dropping packages at this location for the last year with no problems, I was told today that the title company either needed to give me a different shipping label or that I would have to pay for shipping.

I have never heard of that. I see companies modify the label all the time, and just bill the additional to the company that provided the air bill

Thank you for your reply, dmservlc. I thought it sounded weird. When I checked with a “real” drop location later that day, I was told that all locations receive a percentage for each package accepted and that when scanned in, the cost should be billed to the title company. Oh, well…

Our labels are printed “open charge” - no fee is assigned until the package is weighed, either when you drop it (if the location has a scale, as a Fedex Office or UPS Store) or at the distribution center. Once weighed, an additional label is added to the package with the fee amount.

When a truck picks up at a remote center, the driver scans the label so tracking is immediately available. But the label is not “active” until it has been weighed, assigned a fee, and been covered with the second label.

Someone at your shipping center must have been new.

As a former MailBox store, I was paid $0.75 for each express package I accepted It did not matter what the label said, FedEx would adjust when they pour it through their scanners. (I’m sure UPS is the same ). So my only guess is a new employee ( or maybe a new owner) who misunderstood the training

Every package or overnight/2nd day are re-weighted by the UPS and Fedex, so they get every dollar for the weight received.
The owner or employee doesn’t know how the process works, and just lost a customer. Just go somewhere else. You can’t fix stupid. It has to heal on its own… hahaha

You are correct and I commend you for reading between the lines. There are details I left out of my original post in order to keep things positive. Thank you for the chuckle, anaheim!

If you don’t mind me asking, did you own the store and is it still in business? There’s definitely a need for face to face drop offs in rural areas.

Yes I did own the store. Unfortunately I could not complete with online accounts and chain office supply stores

I’m sorry to hear that, ccityshipping.