NKA signing tomorrow

So title is closed. Signature lines states NKA. Do I have borrowers sign full name with NKA and other name? What does the NKA mean?

NKA means now known as. A typical example would be a woman named Mary Smith who bought a house when she was single, but since then married John Jones and is now known as Mary Jones.

I don’t know how the signer should sign his/her signature.

If you can contact title you should also ask what they want written in the notarial certificates. You should also check your state notary manual or laws for what you are allowed to write in the notarial certificate. The answer to what you are allowed to write may depend on whether the signer can present acceptable ID in both names, or only the more recent name.

2 Likes

Strange. Title and signing co not available. So I am in CA. Maybe I have them sign as Their name per license.

Sorry Ashton…I believe you are incorrect with your reply.
NKA stands for “Never Known As” This is usually from a name variation picked up on the various credit bureaus than have been run by the Lender/Title Co. Always write out “Never Known As” not just "NKA"and have borrower initial next to that statement. Someone recently married, with a possible name change would be shown as “AKA” or “Also Known As” in which case would indicate on the Sig/Name Affidavit the additional name and sign their AKA name as well.
Blessings to all.

2 Likes

actually he was correct. it is now known as.
I had them sign as old name nka new name
one document had old name (5 years earlier) and no id available for that name other than a court document of name change so couldn’t perform acknowledgement on that document. I also crossed out the old name on the acknowledgements as I cannot verify that . I can only do an acknowledgment with the current names as they were on their drivers license and passports. interesting enough the name was also wrong of the old name for the husband but not the wife overall the package was not very well prepared for these borrowers by the title company. If a name change occurred 4 years ago not sure why all the documents/disclosures, etc would have this statement on it.

2 Likes

There are indeed two phrases that could come up, “NOW known as” and “NEVER known as”. I have occasionally seen “NOW known as” abbreviated to NKA. I’ve never seen “never known as” abbreviated.

“Never known as”, in my experience, is something the singer would write on a signature/name affidavit if one of the names was totally wrong, and not merely an old or misspelled name from a credit report. In that case, after consulting title, the signer writes “never known as” and does NOT sign that incorrect name.

1 Like

If the name on the last deed recorded before this new transaction had just the former name, there has to be something in the new deed, deed of trust, or mortgage that connects the old name with the new name. I imagine it would vary from state-to-state, and the whim of the attorney who draws up the instrument, but sometimes its just text within the document, and the signer just signs the new name. Other times they want the signer to sign old name NKA new name.

1 Like

Interesting topic, and very well explained… thank you :+1:

1 Like