Notary Stamps being lifted from documents and used fradulently

I received a call yesterday from a financial company and I spoke to the investigator of the company and he informed me that my notary stamp has been used to commit fraud. He advised me that there is a ring of scammers that are looking at public documents (i.e deed of trust) and anything else that is public record and the scammers are lifting the seals and using them to forge retirement IRA’s and other forms of income that do need to be notarized like a 401K.

The scammers are adding a “state seal” and including a commission number on the said stamp. I looked at my stamp really well and there is no state seal or commission number on my stamp. Also, they are enlarging the stamp to add these items to it to attempt to make it look legit.

I noticed that where it states “My Commission Expires” they put 03/17/2017. 1. As a notary we all know how to date our documents and that is not correct and 2. we all know when our commission expires and they put 2017 which is very wrong.

They also forged notary signatures and possibly the principals signature.

I am putting this post out, because I want to make notaries aware of this happening. Our best course of action is our Notary Journal**. That is our proof.** I recognize that the majority of us are notaries because we are Signing Agents, but for every job you do for each one of these companies, have your borrowers sign your book! I do it for every closing. I have friends sign my book. We have to protect ourselves and making sure your journal is signed for every transaction is the key. IF for whatever reason you are asked to come to court, this is your proof.

If you should happen to get a call from anyone advising you that your notary seal is being used in frauds, ask for a copy of what was signed and contact your Secretary of State immediately so they can have it on record that this situation is happening.

4 Likes

Always using a blue pen to complete your notary signings is also a deterrent to this issue.