Printer: want a reliable 2 tray printer

I need a 2-tray printer that can sense or pick a mix size documents. Do you know of a reliable and affordable brand out there ? The most important feathers would be able to pick which tray for legal size and which tray for regular size, also has the capabilty of scan. I have the all in one, but I have to print all in legal size and when it come to scan, it cut off the legal size. Please help ! Appreciate your kind suggestion/advice!!!

1 Like

I have a Brother HL 5470DW that is a dream to use. Brother customer service is excellent to and will assist with set up if you have questions. I also have a Brother MFC for scanning to pdf for fax backs. The most reliable equipment I’ve had so far.

3 Likes

Hi Lisa, I have a Brother DCP, 7065, great workhorse, good on toner, although single tray, it’s adjustable for both letter, or legal and it scans, & a copier too… I think you have to specify in your PDFs scan settings for legal docs! Hope this helps

2 Likes

Hello slcaldwell,
On a mix package docs with letter size and legal all mix and out of sort, does your printer know when to pick up the size legal or letter ?

I have a great Brother printer MFC8950DWT. It has dual trays. The Brother rep I spoke with before buying this assured me it would pick up the correct paper size. Well come to find out, it appears Apple products don’t work well with Brother. Something about the Adobe software. I’m still trying to figure a way around this. So, before you buy check to make sure your computer software will work with whatever you get.

Lisa, Brother is the only way to go for a printer. I have a dual tray 5370DW (purchased 5 years ago and still going strong) and a 6180DW (this was my upgrade last year just because I can now print one set on one printer and another on the other at the same time) which I use daily. I have an MFC 9970CDW (which I also purchased 5 years ago) for scanning and color printing. I purchase my ink from 4inkjets and just TOPcashback to get 25% back on ink purchases. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what kind of computer/software do you have?

I have Windows 10. Printers are connected wireless.

I am using a Brother MFC8850 connected wirelessly. I had to purchase the second tray separately.

You’ll need to set up your print settings properly to print multisized docs from the correct trays. Brother Tech support is great for that. They can even remote in to your computer to set it up for you.

Caveat: Printing mixed doc sizes to this printer from a Mac system did not work for me. I ended up getting a second hand PC laptop to act as my print server.

Ohhh Lisa pardon me for not responding any sooner, I really missed it… But the answer is no.

I have a Brother HL-6180DW. It prints 42 pages a minute. It works great!

2 Likes

Brother MFC8950DW–dual tray–works every time!!

1 Like

I have a Brother HL-5370DW, it’s a great workhorse. You can get the compatible toner and drums at suppliesoutlet.com for the best price available anywhere on the internet. I’ve been ordering from them for 10 years and no problems ever. I also have a bulletscan for scanning the docs back in PDF format. You can do an entire package of docs in less than ten minutes and you can set it to scan legal, it also has an auto feed.

1 Like

I have the Brother HL-L6200DW and I love it. I spent a lot of hours researching printers and am thrilled that I selected this one. Great confirmation reading this forum and seeing all the other notaries using Brother Printers!

1 Like

Just looked that up - that is a premium printer (all in one). Very nice!

I also have the Brother printer MFC8950DWT…It is a workhorse…great printing dual paper sizes and for scanning 50 pages at a time. I have a Lenovo, so I wouldn’t know how it would work with your MAC. I had to purchase the legal tray…all available on Amazon to review and ask questions in advance.

Alisa Hamilton, Signing Agent

I have the Brother MFC-L8850CDW and also had to buy the second tray separately. Do you find that this printer uses ink super fast? I am having to replace the toner once every month right now. I’m about to use a generic ink to see if that works. It costs half the price of the Brother ink. Any advice on your printer experience?

Can you tell me which one you prefer for ink costs? My Brother uses up ink once per month and it’s so costly. I am going to purchase a second printer as a back up and think maybe this one should be black and white only. I was told the Color Laser is more costly because it uses more ink. I’m thinking Monochrome Laser for the back up printer. Also for printing the second set.

Black mono only with dual trays.

You can find combo drum and 5 packs of ink on certain Ebay retailers for SUPER low cost.

I have a Brother HL6200DW and I’m in love with it!!!

Yes, I find the toner depletes long before I expect it to, even though I am using “toner save” mode. I’ve been tracking the # of copies between each cartridge, and am disappointed to see that I am not getting near the advertised # of copies, even using the high capacity toner cartridge. :disappointed: