Printing Mixed Size Documents

Hello Chris,

That is great news! I didn’t know there was a solution. I use a Brother also (HL-L6300DW).

I can get the printer to choose the proper paper size but on the second page of legal paper it always starts printing too low on the page which results in the bottom portion being “cut off.” Did you experience this at all?

Thanks

Hello,

What I do is use Windows on my Mac via VMWare Fusion. When printing from Adobe the proper trays are used.

Please let us know if you get it resolved, I’d love to be able to do my work from my Mac OS side instead of using Windows.

I use a Brother HL-L6200DWT. I had same issue initially with incorrect printing on legal sized paper. Corrected once Brother support walked me through installing the specific driver install for my model printer. After that make sure your “default” paper size is 8 1/2X11. Also make sure your setting is not “Custom” The drop down will also allow you to pick “Acrobat Default” Any additional issues, get Adobe support on the phone, no charge, and they will remote in and help you tweak your settings. Printer works perfect now! Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for the great information Chris. I’ll be getting this done soon.

Thanks for all of the replies. I contacted Brother and she helped me as much as she could, but the document was still printing on all legal. I called Adobe and she told me she was “not trained” on the DC Reader or the ProX that I am using so she had me contact chat. Chat told me the same thing and told me to post my question on their forums.

All drivers and softwares are up to date. Each tray is assigned a paper size and I’m selecting “print according to size”

According to the limited info I can find on Google, it seems to be a Mac/Adobe issue and now I have to decide if I want to purchase a cheap laptop to use just for printing, or install bootcamp/Windows on my Mac in order to print…

I HAD this issue as I’m a MAC user too. Adobe and Mac haven’t worked out their differences in terms of them talking to each other. I called Adobe, Brother and HP and it has to do with MAC and Adobe.

How I rectified the problem was to purchase a used PC (bought at an auction for $25.00) and all I use it for is printing my docs. I installed my adobe acrobat Pro on the PC and no more issues.

1 Like

I know the frustration and pain! I’ve spent the last 10 months on the phone with Apple, Adobe and 3 different brand printer company’s trying to come up with a solution but as you know they don’t have one. I was finally informed that the problem is with all three company’s not just one, so there won’t be a “fix” coming from one individual company since they’re all pointing the finger at the other. I was beyond frustrated until one day I stumbled upon a brilliant programmer who figured out how to fix it. After working with him for several weeks testing and retesting, he’s nearly done with the patch and he’s written it so that it works for any printer that runs PostScript. We’ve tested it on my printers and it works! If you want more info let me know.

I also have a Brother dual tray printer but, I always use this link from Notary Rotary when
printing my PDFs. It separates the letter and the legal sizes on your PDF so it makes printin easier. click on this this link. Hope it helps
https://www.notaryrotary.com/mc/pdfsorter.asp

2 Likes

I went ahead and bought a cheap laptop to run Windows and use as a printing server.

Your printer has to be able to printer mixed sizes. Not all printers are able to do that. Just because you have a
a dual tray doesnt mean it will printer mixed. Their is a software program that you can use to printer letter and legal but you have to do it manually

1 Like

Hi,
I use a Mac and you need to purchase VM Ware to make your Mac think it is a PC and then it will be able to use both trays.

1 Like

Did you read my comment I posted a few weeks ago? Try the website I recommended, it’s very easy.

I didn’t want to have to restack the pages after I printed them in batches (with a page separator), so I just bought a cheap-o windows laptop ($120) and use that as my printer server.

Thanks. I’m sure this will save me a lot of time and money with printing those large packages.

This is a Mac issue, for some reason it just won’t print mixed sized PDF’s. I purchased a Windows emulator called Parallels for around $50 and a copy of Windows 8 for $25. Works great and I don’t need a separate computer.

I would like to lean more please. I have a MAC and a duel tray Lexmark

I’ve personally spoken to the person that wrote the original printing program for Apple and he’s now the Senior Printing Engineer at Apple so he’s definitely an expert and “in the know” regarding this issue. When I approached him for a solution he informed me of the following - (his exact words) - "Right now the macOS print APIs do NOT support multiple page sizes in a single document job… if you print from any application the output will get scaled/fit to a single size."
The programmer I’m working with has nearly finished writing the program but he’s having problems with the font’s not matching the documents. We’re trying some different options and will have a solution soon. (hopefully, fingers crossed)

I’ve replied but posted to the group.

I purchased a Brother laser 2-drawer printer. Brother Business Laser Printer HL-L6200DWT Pulls exactly what I need.

Thanks for your input. As was stated further up, it’s a MAC/Adobe issue. I have that same printer - and love it - and bought a cheap windows laptop to solve the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like