Remote Online Notary (RON)

wow…SnapDocs? Seriously??

1 Like

Apparently. That’s according to Washington DOL notaries division back in March. So unless something changed, I assume SnapDocs meets the technology security requirements.

I am doing what I can to decide which platform to use for RON. I have the certification from Washington State. So far I’m finding the platforms very expensive. I don’t want to outlay a large amt of money without some idea that there are companies that will use RON.
COVID has limited me to turning down so many signings.

What RON platform do you use?

This the reply I rec’d from Snapdocs: “Snapdocs only offers our digital closing solution to lenders.”
I won’t give up trying to find a RON platform. I believe it is the future.

This is the reply I rec’d from Snapdocs: “Snapdocs only offers our digital closing solution to lenders.”

Arichter, please talk to me about the liability concerns that you have? I have had some of my own that I’ve expressed to my insurer. I’d like your take

Rlsnotarialservices check out Seattle Side Hustles on youtube. The notary’s name is Snow. She has done a ton of legwork on the issue for us!

I’m really not that into the matter as AR doesn’t allow RON, but when CA was successfully fighting it, the way CA 's proposed RON law was worded made the technology providers not liable for anything that might go wrong. If they aren’t liable for mis-identifying a signer or losing the video–who’s left to be sued? The notary, of course. The whole concept is still a swamp of individual state’s actual law wording, which, of course, is being spoonfed by big tech to the legislator/law sponsor (& possibly further amended by ??) It’s being pushed by big tech, who stand to make a fortune , & alta, who stand to save a fortune, but neither want to be left holding the bag when things go wrong–that’s what the notary is for.

Currently, there is a Federal bill for RON in US Senate committee S3533, worded so loosey-goosey that it’s almost meaningless (yeah, good idea, let’s pass it and then figure out the details–I exaggerate, but not by much). Is RON the future? Probably as much a self-driving cars. All is well until it crashes. We’re still in the here & now and the perfect future isn’t here yet.

4 Likes

Snapdocs partners with multiple RON vendors, their primary one being Nexsys, just FYI to all.

“It’s being pushed by big tech, who stand to make a fortune , & alta, who stand to save a fortune, but neither want to be left holding the bag when things go wrong–that’s what the notary is for.”

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:Well put!

1 Like

Just curious to know how you can get paid $75 per closing on Notarize? The standard fees to notaries for real estate transactions are $25 and you have to achieve the Gold level which requires 100 notary signings @ $5 each before you can qualify, providing you have the proper certifications and insurance requirements…

1 Like

I was trained on Notarize by Guaranteed Rate, one of the largest lenders, to work specifically for Guaranteed Rate, so I would have been paid directly by Guaranteed Rate. This was in their RON inception during 2020 and they had set their fees at $75. Although they do have about 20 people they did hire (I was in their second batch of 20 notaries trained on Notarize, they didn’t get the volume they were hoping for so I never actually started working). They said that they tried getting the brokers to direct borrowers into RON closings but that didn’t happen, I guess.

1 Like

okay, that makes perfect sense…I signed up as an independent contractor so I can take incoming calls from their customers. It’s a lengthy process to get on board, but I can gain valuable experience and perform more notarizations in a week than I could do in a month on my own. With over 11,000 reviews, they have built a brand that has already captured an 80% market share and their training is off the hook…

I was all set to sign up for Notarize then I checked to see if they were approved by Wisconsin, my state. They are not listed as approved, so I couldn’t apply. I wonder why they didn’t seek approval for my state.

Those numbers are so interesting to me. I’ve never met anyone in TN who knows about online notarizations, requests them, or uses them… I just joined Notarize but TN is a BYOT (bring your own transaction) state on their platform, so the only way I can make money from it is to bring someone on?? Not seeing any use for that as people just drive to me and I even keep the whole amount for myself. So, no point in using Notarize, but I wanted to be on there in case they add TN to the independent contract states list. I’m not sure why they haven’t already… does anyone know?

So are you already doing their GNW?

Hi! I tried to call you! Pick up your phone! :grin:

Ive signed up with many platforms and havent receuved one job offer. I have to be doing something wromg. But, there are many signers ive worked with that HATE the RON business. Its tripple the work most times and iverly frustrating. I think us mobile notaries will continue to do just fine. Well, as soon as this market stabilizes.

1 Like

Well, I can tell you I don’t guide myself by what others like or dislike. I haven’t started doing any RON closings. But like anything new, there is a learning curve. So, at first, you have to really learn what your are doing. Then, once it becomes ingrained, then you can say whether it is good or not. In the meantime, I think most people, me included, thought the “wave of the future” was here–thank you Covid. Now I have come to realize, it will drag on a bit until there is a bigger pushback from the consumer and/or the brokers. Today, too many people aren’t ready to go online for ALL their business and many people still don’t even have computers. So, looks like there will definitely be a need for us regular signing agents…for now!