Scanners and eFax Services - Recommendations?

Hi there - I’m thinking to purchase a scanner so that I can more easily take jobs that require fax backs. Also would sign up for an eFax service. Thought I’d see if anyone has a high speed scanner (in the $200-300 range, nothing super fancy) they’d recommend and if you love (or hate) your eFax provider.

Even just a list of things to look for when comparing scanners or eFax services would be SO helpful. I’ve done a little looking around but it’s always nice to hear from folks who have firsthand experience.

Thanks!

A Good SCANNER IS the Brother printer DCP-L2540DW about $150—at 300dpi B&W it can do about 20 pgs in 2 min
I don’t use E-fax

I have the Fujitsu IX500, Scan Snap. I use it to scan entire docs and send them back. Comes with some good software as well where you can email, change to jpgs, etc. Simply love it. It’s a little pricey but well worth it. Received great reviews when compared to others.

Most all in one printers that have fax capabilities come with software you can scan to your computer. I personally prefer any Brother all-in-one. With e-fax you will be paying for the service. I don’t like any the programs you scan to your phone. Some fax or scan back are many pages. I rather my auto fed on my printer do the work. It is all about your preference how you want to do fax backs for email docs. Sometimes some of the title companies want you to fax back enormous size packages. I will send half of my package then the other half by email that way you have a records both parts of package went through to the intended party. Notaries are easy to blame if something doesn’t come through. Faxes can be picked up at the fax machine with intentions of give to the correct party. E-mail scan eliminates the human factor not delivering the fax.

We also have the Fiuitsu iX500 SnapScan as our primary scanner. Do you remember switching printers from a single tray to a dual tray? This iX500 is just as dramatic an improvement to your operation! First, the device is easy to install and use. I take on those scan back (fax backs) without dreading the additional time and focus in preparing my scans. It is a top feed table top machine that advertises that is will scan 25 pages per minute. When I began using mine, I was limiting myself to no more than 30 pages per pdf file. As I began testing the limits of this workhorse, I increased the amount of pages per attachment to 80. It scans BOTH sides of each page automatically which makes it even more useful when you are faxing disclosures for overnight sales. Yes, it is a bit pricey but we trust Fijitsu brand and the investment is well worth it as you can walk away from the device while it is scanning your docs. I used the eFax system years ago and abandoned it because of the fee increases. This is your solution to scanning problems.

I have the Epson DS-560 which is wireless, fast and reliable with large packages. I am thinking about getting a second one for in my car. I reccomend this one.
As for subscribtion to a fax service? I no longer have one, most companies allow you to email and when they request a fax like on purchases I can do that from the real estate office. Only once did I need a fax at my home office and used fax fresh, if I needed it more often I would probably look seriously into this again.

Wow - thank you everyone! Sounds like eFax is pretty much obsolete (that’s a relief!) and that with the right scanner I’ll have what I need to take on jobs that require faxbacks. I’m going to take a look at the products you all suggested and feel much more confident making a selection! Thanks so much, Robin

I agree. Just bought a Fujitsu and have been very pleased. It will even scan both sides of documents if needed. I just need to learn to be as smart as it is. Space is the biggest problem, as paper slips out after scanning and drops so it must be on a flat serface.