Sticking together...(or falling apart)

This is a difficult time to be starting as an NSA (not as a Notary Public - all NSAs are Notaries; however, not all Notaries are NSAs). I’m helping a protégé get started, and even with the boost I provide her with training and contacts, many of the clients I have known for years are simply not accepting NSAs with less than a year’s experience and at least a hundred signings (and they confirm the number of signings by entries in your journal.) This saddens me, because it leads me to assume that these companies have had multiple bad experiences with NSAs who claimed they were competent and experienced, but proved elsewise by the poor quality of their work.

2 Likes

Judi,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Strangely enough, I now have 4 refi’s scheduled… with good companies. One of my appointments has been rescheduled 3x. I couldn’t imagine selling myself short for all that’s involved. I’ve already invested quite a bit of time waiting for documents, being on the phone multiple times with the borrower and the company, etc. I’m not complaining. It’s just part of the responsibility to get the job done. I’m very thankful for all of the information and support that is available on this and the other two sites. Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom and experience!

I agree that is why I am discouraged period

I agree with your assessment hasanilevy. There are notaries in this area who do the same thing. They are actually working for nothing when you consider the time spent on the signing, * i.e. the trip, time to complete signing, fax backs, dropping at UPS or FedEx. They don’t consider their expenses. I have had to go and correct a signing by one of these notaries. The signing companies call and tell us they will see if they can get our fee approved and never call back, not even extending the courtesy of letting us know that they found someone who do it cheaper. that is why I would like to upgrade to signing companies who are interested in quality instead of cheap prices.

1 Like

Funny you said that!!! They all think I am expensive and in reality I have to charge for my time and costs of gas, print, ink, paper and etc.

2 Likes

Judi,

(and they confirm the number of signings by entries in your journal)

I don’t know what state you’re in, but in California giving someone open access to your notary journal is illegal (few exceptions. e.g. peace officer). In order to view even a line item, a member of the public must submit a request in writing with specific information. Then the notary must respond within 15 business days by providing a copy of a line item from the journal or acknowledgment that no such line item exists. Given our requirements of recording personal identifying information, I feel it would be inappropriate as well. That said, I do know our state has some of the strictest notary laws, including the notary public journal!

Just an entry count, Angela, not a view (which, in a way, is even more insulting). I would hope that any notary knows to guard their journal. I’m not in CA, but thank you for the review of laws regarding journals.

They wouldn’t even be allowed to look at my journal to get an entry count Judi, but if they did, there would be a lot because we have to complete a separate line for every single signature! It’s very time consuming…especially on trusts and loans.

Nor would I. But twice now, I’ve been requested to count the entries in my journal and sign a statement to the effect that “the number of orders reported signed during the last twelve months is true.” Insulting, and sad. I assume that a number of people are claiming a level of experience their subsequent performance does not support. Certainly there should be a better way to determine an NSA’s competence before trusting them with one’s customers.

I agree, not just insulting but they’re acting like an employer - minus the benefits! I believe the way to determine someone’s worthiness is to ask questions and take a chance. Research them for negatives. If they do a good job, then re-hire them. Build good relationships. That’s what we are asked to do as notaries all the time, and we also have verifiable licensing, insurance and background checks. I have many regular clients and return customers who know my worth based on their experience with me, and others.

The amount of work that goes into signings has not lessened, in fact it increased with notary printing. Therefore my signing rates have not changed much either, however my state’s notary rates have increased and so has my income in other areas, which is where I now focus. I believe many states rates are just way to low for the time, expertise and liability we are expected to take on. I believe in continuing education to stay sharp. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Interest rates are up. HELOCS are up.

Business is slow and hits of $40-55 are common.

I have been getting my $125 debt consolidations and seller packs but they are few and far between.