Travel and Printing Fees

Hi, I’m a new NSA and I was just wondering if it is standard to charge travel fees for every signing or is it included in the flat rate by the signing company? Also, does anyone charge a printing fee or a fee for printing a second set of docs for borrower? Thanks!

Travel fees are included in the signing fee. It’s up to you to decide how far you are willing to drive on any assignment, for the fee being offered. The signing service doesn’t care about that. You have to set your limits.

First, YOU determine your fee by the work they want done. Travel (gas, time, mileage) will vary and you need to be prepared to quote an appropriate fee. 2 sets of docs is pretty much the assumed norm, so your print fee (generally $25) should cover that. Larger packages should require a higher print fee, etc. fee (more paper, toner and TIME at table).

Thank you! So, when signing companies give you a job, travel is included and two sets of docs are included in that fee, but I can charge a printing fee approx. ($25)? I assume if you travel further than, let’s say 30 miles, you can charge them for travel also? The signing companies that I am getting jobs from send me text messages with a fee already set. I’m slowly getting to know the companies and the fees that I should be charging. I just wondered if I could charge travel if the fee they offered was lower than it should be…

The figure received in your messages is what they are paying you for the assignment - End of Story. You should negotiate any additional fees before accepting the assignment.

You charge a flat fee that covers all of your expenses. You are a business owner. If the fee being offered doesn’t cover your expenses, move on. Say, “No”. You need to figure out all your expenses from time involved, cell phone, paper, toner, vehicle wear and tear, gasoline, etc. etc. Do not allow these companies to lowball you.

1 Like

It was recommended to me by a tax advisor that I should not invoice travel fees as a separate charge. It may cause a problem in an audit if you charge a fee and then deduct it as a standard business expense on your tax filing.

I would have to agree with that. It’s easier to just charge an all-inclusive fee for services rendered. If you break it down too much, there are more elements that the customer (and IRS) can question.