We are being had! Stop it!

I cannot agree with you more!!! I took a signing last month with the Oregon Ticor Title office that paid $175 for the signing. I reached out to the Ticor Title office here in Vegas and was told that they book notaries for a minimum of 4 signings at a time in their office and asked what I would charge for that. I asked for $50 per signing, so $200 for 4. She responded back to my assistant telling her they expect a notary to accept the assignment for $25 per signing, so $100 for 4 signings!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!! Out of $700, they only want to give me $100!!! WE DO NOT NEED THEM!!!

The real estate market may be slowing down where you live, but the fee escrow pays for title is NOT!!! Every set of closing docs pays $175 and if you’re only getting $50!!! Craziness!!!

It is difficult to determine what the signing fee is since it is normally only shown on Section B of the CD and is usually included in the escrow or closing fee charged by the title company. What I do is add all of the closing fees shown in Section B and divide my accepted or proposed fee by that total. If the total is over 400 dollars and I am getting less than 100 dollars I am taking it on the chin.

1 Like

I have been reading on these boards about this problem of signing fees and the suggestions about forming a union
Well those that say we can’t unionize are correct but that would not stop mobile Notary’s from forming an ASSOCIATION of Mobile Notary’s , in order to stand together to standardize fees across states, IE: get a standard base fee for signings across the industry. Its how the title/mortgage business sets fees so there is no reason why we Mobile Notary’s can’t do the same thing.

4 Likes

Called “price-fixing” - will have the DOJ down your neck faster than you can blink.

One size really fits nobody well. The most effective way to increase fees is simply to say NO to low ones.

5 Likes

Join the facebook group! we need to unite, and complain in one place. that’s the only way to make a concerted effort to stop accepting these fees. We pay for insurance, bond, certifications, licenses. That’s worth more than $15 an hour!

1 Like

AMEN!!! I totally agree.

Agreed!

Also, when you sign up with companies who say what their fees are, if they are lower than you accept tell them your minimum. We need to stick together to promote higher fees.

1 Like

I was told by a solicitor from a signing company that the “national standard fee” was $75.00 I told him I had a standard fee and that was definitely not it.

2 Likes

The biggest secret in this business is how much the signing company is charging for the signing. The title company is definitely paying the fee, but how much is charged to the borrower, how much is the signing service getting from the title company and how much goes to the actual person performing the signing work and providing the materials for the signing. (paper and print) I have seen invoices for 175 charged to borrower with signing company paying 75 to notary. That means that 57 percent of the fee went to an entity that provided a return airbill (at a reduced rate) and located a notary. Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

5 Likes

“National average” of $75, hm? Call the FBI and report that company for an anti-trust violation! Not to mention an outright lie.

2 Likes

I have seen signing company getting 250.00 showing up on the hud and the notary is getting 65.00.
Makes me sick

1 Like

Yes, @loanpackage, I agree!

I know one title company signing service who keeps $50 and give the rest to the notary. For example, the notary fee was $200 and I was paid $150.

3 Likes

You should NEVER accept low fees!!! NEEEEEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!! #KnowYourWorth

4 Likes

I have been screaming this at the top of my lungs on other social platforms and have received LASHINGS from some notaries arguing and debating with me! I have posted videos exposing these “signing companies” in an effort to raise awareness and encourage our notary community to stop settling and accepting low fees, when we know the money is there!!! I had two notaries attack me, questioning my credentials and my tenure in the industry and stalk my posts and videos! It was hilarious!!! It made me think they were a signing company, mad that I was exposing them!!! Not all signing companies are unethical, but many of them are and we know it!!!

3 Likes

Agree, likely so, any company when their business slows down has to cut costs to keep the doors open. Maybe that’s what is happening our industry, the reason for lower notary fees. Or perhaps that isn’t the reason for lower notary fees at all, it’s about maximizing profits.

Screaming might be a bit over the top. The fact is there are notaries willing to do signing work for crumbs, just as there are people who are willing to work for crumbs in the rest of the service industry. That isn’t going to go away. Likely more and more notaries are will be willing to accept crumbs and the notary fees will continue to drop or level off around $55-$65.

LasVegasNSA, sorry you’ve been attacked. As you say, some people believe settling is all they can do.

I recently had a conversation with a tax accountant. His comment to me has been stated regarding the other services I provide too–“I’m not a WalMart-priced service provider.” While I believe that people just starting out should not expect to make as much as someone who’s been “in the business” for a while, for the service provider to allow the hiring party to dictate what the independent contractor (owner of another company entirely and not an employee) should expect for services provided is ridiculous. Plumbers, HVAC or appliance repairpersons don’t reduce their prices for traveling to those who need their services. Neither do attorneys, accountants, banks, or any other professional. Why should NSAs?

5 Likes

Yes, I agree also. Low ball fees to me are when you don’t even break even or earn a profit. If we don’t stand fast and not accept low ball fees we our hurting our team. I know times are lean right now but work will pickup. Check local job ad listings - title companies are looking for help for upcoming season. Forming a union can become technical. We are a team - go team! :relaxed:

3 Likes