Wet Signings, E Signings, Hybrid Signings & EDOCs

Here is what I think I finally figured out:
a) initially loan packages were printed by the lender/title company then shipped to the NSA
b) that evolved to EDOCs in which the docs were downloaded and printed by the NSA, docs where signed by the borrowers (Wet Signings).
c) E Signings are for states which allow electronic notarization
d) Hybrid Signings are when non-notarized documents are signed ‘electronically’ on the NSAs laptop/tablet and the NSA notarizes documents as necessary.

Does everyone agree with this are have I missed something?

Hybrids include some printed, signed and notarized docs and some non-notarized docs signed electronically.

1 Like

E-signing could include signings where nothing needs to be notarized (unusual, but it happens), hybrid signings, and signings where both unnotarized and notarized docs are e-signed. I think it’s best to avoid the term e-signing and specify exactly what’s going on.

I agree but if you encounter those phrases then it’s good to know what they mean. EDOCs is still being used by some SSs.

Because that’s what they are - “edocs” - electronic documents. Electronic documents does not necessarily mean electronic signing.

I also feel © is incorrect - " E Signings are for states which allow electronic notarization" - since you don’t need a commissioned e-notary to sign non-notarized documents electronically - anyone in any state can do an e-signing… E-signings are exactly what Ashton described

1 Like