Appropriate time to approach Title Companies

Sorry if this has been covered, but I am a newb and wanted to get some input.

I have completed a flawless signing, and I am voracious for more work.

I have seen these various YouTube videos where folks claiming to be new NSA’s are stating that they wished they approached title companies sooner rather than waiting for a month or more. Here is an example: Interview- $17,000 a month Notary Public Loan Signing Agent from Maryland!! - YouTube

I am fairly confident in my abilities, but do not want to go into a title company if they are just going to brush me off for “not enough experience”.

Any comments and considerations are truly appreciated.

1 Like

Over the years I’ve seen a few videos that present ‘over-the-top’ results.

Honestly, if viewed utilizing critical thinking, it’s easy to realize that it’s hype ‘showcasing’ a few individuals that happen to be in a region that’s not saturated with certified notary signing agents [CNSAs].

Most of those types of videos exclude the background, experience, education, training, etc. that the individual brings to the proverbial table. Nor do they identify the business sector the individual previously worked in nor the contacts already in-place prior to beginning CNSA work. If the individual worked in Lending, Real Estate, or many of the ‘affiliated’ business sectors, their development rate from 0 to 60 mph is going to be vastly different from someone with a background in the Hospitality business sector.

With that in mind, notice that everyone has a different ‘starting’ point regarding knowledge, skills, and abilities. Thus, results aren’t guaranteed and do vary widely from person-to-person as well as from one region to another.

Regarding the juncture to choose reaching out to loan officers [LOs] & title/escrow companies [TECs]: It depends . . .

Within this business sector there is a very small sphere of interconnectivity. If you reach out to LOs & TECs before you’ve truly MASTERED the services you provide, the result could prove to be an Epic Fail. This work has exemplary expectations. At a minimum, it would be prudent to have two years of NSA experience and 800-1000+ NSA Signing Orders successfully completed prior to launching into the LO/TEC stratosphere. That is the Industry Standard & expectations held by many LOs &TECs.

Signing Services [SSs] will give novices a shot, but SSs also hold very high expectations of the NSA work performed. The SSs will usually require at least one year (if not more) experience. Yes, working with SSs does reduce your immediate income, but a novice needs experience and there is a cost/price to be paid for receiving training & skill development.

The major caveat is that if the CNSA skills haven’t been Mastered & the CNSA launches into direct LO/TEC contact, you could easily and quickly sabotage your future potential. The LOs & TECs do create lists of CNSAs they’ve previously worked with and rate the services provided. So, second-chances are few and far between.

As many have previously said, the CNSA business is a MARATHON (not a sprint).

Also, reading this excellent post may provide additional insights: Temper your expectations

3 Likes

Well said - and this part is SO true

“Most of those types of videos exclude the background, experience, education, training, etc. that the individual brings to the proverbial table. Nor do they identify the business sector the individual previously worked in nor the contacts already in-place prior to beginning CNSA work.”

3 Likes

Thank you cNsa5 and LindaH-FL.

Let me start this by saying I really do appreciate both of your responses and I respect the experience both of you have and your opinions based upon that experience.

I did read the “Temper your expectations” post prior to posting my question.

Did either one of you watch the video that I posted?

I do understand that there are tons of things going on in these types of videos in order to market classes and systems, etc.

Here are my rebuttals based upon content in the video and your responses:

1. I do not believe that Maryland (which is the state in which the subject of the video link I posted operates), is in dire need of NSA’s

2. I do not believe that being in the employ of a restaurant gives someone special NSA qualities that are not gained by others who have decided to try and change their lives with this occupation/business and have a hunger similar to the subject in the video. Unless, he gained some contacts names and the “management” job gave him the confidence to speak to people (which he denies as he states he is an introvert at one point in the video).

3. If we look at the low end of things, lets say he did 38 signings for $50 each the first week in order to get the $1900 he claims to have made in order to test whether this could be a viable business for him. That falls rather short of the 800-1000+ signings.

4. If you go to the 13:13 minute mark on the video he describes his earnings through his first 6 months and at the 19:46 mark he describes that after 3 weeks is when he began approaching title companies/eo’s. If he kept the same pace of 38 signings per week that is still only about 110 signings which is still below the 800-1000 mark.

I guess my questions really are, if someone is confident and hungry does it really matter how many signings they have, especially if they can’t wait 1-2 years to gather 800-1000+ loan signings? Can someone with the limited 3 weeks of experience go to a title company and ask for direct work?

I will also say that I am not thinking that I can make the same strides this Brad guy did, I just want to know if it is possible to approach title companies with the same limited experience as Brad?

Again, I truly thank you both for your responses and consideration!

2 Likes

Take what these youtubers say with a grain of salt. Some of the numbers you presented are just not feasible for the average notary. for example, 38 signings in a week is not a norm. Even 30 signings a week is pushing it, especially if you aren’t at the top of a TC list of closers. I mentioned this in a post already but you don’t just jump in and become a 6 figure earner. This is a competitive market and unless you’re in an area that’s not saturated the TC will want to work with people that they’re familiar with. There was a region manager at a title company I work with a ton and he was telling me about the amount of people trying to apply but him not feeling comfortable going in blind with someone not as experienced over someone that they’re familiar with that does good work.

Again take it slow, don’t quit your day job thinking that this is a get rich quick business

3 Likes

Allantnotary, Thanks for the input, i really do appreciate it, let me say that I am not a fool and I am not thinking this is a get rich quick business and I have not quit my day job. I am simply pointing out facts. I used the “38 signings a week” as a high number with low pay example because the individual in the video made $1900 his first week and I was using a high number to show cNsa5 that even at that rate he could not meet the 800-1000 threshold of signings necessary to begin going to title companies. Within three weeks he was approaching title companies, again according to the video. So either Brad is a complete liar or he is a confident nsa. If you watch the video all I am asking is this, is it ok to approach title companies when the nsa feels comfortable, or do you have to wait a year or two as was previously mentioned. That is my whole point, Brad, the guy in the video is working in Maryland, and started in October of 2020 3 weeks later in November he started approaching Title companies and was doing direct work by December. He also portrays himself as a guy who is not going to give up, so either he is extremely lucky and hardworking or he is lying.

Keep in mind, MD notaries need a Title Producer’s License to do loan signings - maybe that’s the hook.

Caveat: I did not watch any of the video as my internet precludes me from doing so.

I just wanted to share with you that I live in Maryland and I’ve been a notary public for over 15years, but then I decided to go the NSA route about 3years ago. After I completed all the requirements, I updated my resume, looked for title companies in my area and I sent them emails introducing myself with my resume attached. Not everyone responded but I did get responses and referrals. I do signings for two title companies outside of the online platforms because of that. So you can. I do not sign full time currently, its a side gig for me until I retire, just wanted to tell you go for it.

Let me try and clarify, I am not saying I want to make 1000’s of dollars right away, and I am not saying I want to do what Brad in the video did as far as money.

I am asking that if I have the confidence after 3 weeks but only have 50 signings, is it ok for me to approach Title companies for direct work?

So you would say that if I have the confidence in myself and say I have 50 signings after 3 weeks, then to go ahead and approach the title companies?

Yep, I still do not have 50 signings, but I make sure that my jobs are done timely and efficiently. I follow instruction and I behave and operate with confidence and professionalism. I was never called back about any signings that I have done so far.

2 Likes

@michaelsumption

I completed my first signing on March 4. I approached my first direct title company the last week of April. I now have completed direct signings for two title companies and one real estate lawyer.

Edit to add: not one direct title company I approached (now over a dozen) asked me how many signings I’ve completed.

3 Likes

Last year alone I made $19.3k per month, It is possible. Yes over $232k year.
This year I’ll break over $150k+ (because higher interest rates)

If you always do perfect work, the work and orders will come.
B. Zinn

1 Like

I have a full time job. Signing is a side gig for me because I love doing it.

1 Like

How did you apply to TC’s ? I assume most of your work is direct !

1 Like

I would add when marketing to Title companies DO NOT quote $150, at least where I am in Michigan. You will never hear from them.

Remember: No printing and no travel if you signing in office. Secondly, It’s really worth because you don’t miss a signing because your a thirty seconds slow answering a notification.

1 Like

As someone without your wealth of experience (3 weeks, 5 signings…still got a day job :wink: ) I’m not even yet qualified to be called a novice. Having said that, I am of the opinion that every next signing is the best way to build a reputation: I aim at being very intentional in calling early to get questions answered, being meticulous and quadruple checking everything before sending the docs in, and following up with a thank you to whoever gave me a chance. Even if the companies are out of my state, it’s great practice. In other words my outreach is by proving my ability to make it right and add value to the title companies. At this point, who knows if they notice me yet, or if I’m lost in the sea of notaries.

addendum: I have a friend who started a courier biz 20 years ago. One of the things he had his drivers always do was, when they dropped off a package, asked if there was anything that company needed delivered. Frequently they scored more business. I don’t know if I’d cold call anyone yet, but I can definitely ask if they need anyone for any upcoming signings as I wrap up the current job. My 2 cents.

1 Like

[quote=“psajax, post:12, topic:22044”]
signings
[/quote] that was a thoughtful add:-)

I won’t duplicate that question! Thanks for reading my mind.

Keep in mind what works in one region may not work the same in another. Every region and State has it quirks. Where I’m at the over saturation of notaries hinders talking to TCs. They’ll take your business card and toss it in the trash as you’re pulling out of their parking lot.