Be Careful with Night Signings!

Sad story and continued reminder to be aware of our surroundings. I know my area and majority of signers are seniors, reputable business people and military personnel. Find my immediate 30 miles safe but expanding out into outlying areas I’m aware of drug activity and other crime areas. Won’t take assignments for the bad areas.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you experienced that. It is pure hatred.
As for going to the wrong house, I’ve done that because the signer never changed the sign on the private road to the correct address. The neighbor didn’t know anything about the signer or his address. I drove around for at least 20 minutes. The signer lived in a old mobile home with his divorced mother and didn’t change the address on his house either! Then I had to follow him to his father’s house to sign. The couple hated each other so much they couldn’t be in the same place. There is more to this but I won’t get into that.
I hope 2021 will bring you much happiness.

I have driven on small country roads on the hills in my area. The signers don’t put signs on the end of their driveways! I have had to call them to stand there so I can find the house. Some people are … well, I can’t write that.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

That story is alarming! I can’t understand how that happened because the people would have had to fill our an application, etc. It could have been much worse and I’m glad she wasn’t harmed. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that the signing companies have no control of the time of day. Also, they don’t care about safety, it’s up to us to accept or decline. I had a signing that scared me at first because it was two men in a mobile home in the middle of nowhere. They turned out to be such nice, pleasant men. But I will say, I prayed so much by the time I got in their home.

I will say there is a false sense of comfort because you feel like the borrowers aren’t going to do anything because the Lender has all their information, but two men in a mobile home sounds like a scene out of a scary movie. I had a signing company literally BEG me to go out to a signing after 9PM. I was in Virginia where there were a lot of homes in rural areas. I told the guy, no, and would he care if I was lying on the side of the road if I did take the signing. He said, Yes, yes, I’d care. I couldn’t believe how desperate he was. Please, I’m sure he wouldn’t have been looking for his signing documents until the next day.

2 Likes

I’ve always had some concern going anywhere alone and being stuck/trapped with no one knowing, day or night. My fiance had me download life360. This app allows him to teach my location even if I’m moving and will immediately alert him if I am in a wreck. With this we now have a system. I text him I’m at location soon as I shut my car off. From that point I have 45 minutes to either message him that I’m done, or a :blush: if we are still signing. If I don’t respond than he will call me, if I don’t answer or response in any way than he knows who’s basement to save me from. I’m not saying this will ever happen, but if you worry or have someone who worries for you than this is a great resource!

5 Likes

Thank you for this question and all the answers. Very helpful! I am also very careful about the area I am going to. I am not a morning bird, so my signings are in the afternoon or early evening. Now is winter time and we should work on lights which very often aren’t bright enough. This bothers me a lot. I decided to avoid very late hours and be selective with the areas. I also work it part time, and for now it is going well. But strange people happened to me as well. When you go to so many homes, you feel people with your skin. You don’t need too much observations. I think we should trust our gut as well.

3 Likes

Thank you! I just downloaded this app. I’ve had so many evening assignments that are in the scariest places ever! Long, dark roads with no street lights, no guard rails, literally nothing but trees! Very stressful and sends my anxiety through the roof! We need to be careful and protect ourselves. Thanks for sharing this info!

1 Like

Excellent advice. I’m copying this to keep with me in my briefcase so I never forget.

1 Like

That’s horrible! I hate that you were treated that way. What an awful thing for you to have to deal with. Some people are just ignorant and rude.

Hi Michelle.

Thanks for saying so. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the world we live in. Don’t worry, I didn’t let it spoil my day. :grinning:

Wow so sorry you had to experience this.