Clarification

Looking at the certificate, there is not enough information for me to decide which notarial act is required. We are not allowed to select the appropriate certificate if it is not clear from the document which one to select. That is practicing law. I would look at the document the certificate is attached to for a clue on which notarial act to use. If here is no clarity there, I would ask the signer to contact the sending party to find out. Missing that, I would ask the signer if they know if the sending party wants them to just acknowledge they are the person who is signing to document or if they are supposed to take an oath that all the information is accurate, complete and true to the best of their knowledge. Based on their answer, i would attach the appropriate certificate.

2 Likes

Correcting a certificate is not practicing law. Suggesting a certificate wether one is needed or not is considered UPL Give the signer two choices explain the differences and let them choose.

1 Like

But in the original posterā€™s state, New Jersey, there are five choices that might apply: taking an acknowledgement, administering an oath or affirmation, verification on oath or affirmation, witnessing a signature, or copy certification.

Same as in Virginia. But when the language on the document isnā€™t clear or you canā€™t glean it from what the document is asking for, you have to ask the signer what type of notarial certificate they want to use. To tell them which certificate to use is considered practicing law. The original poster would need to confirm that with New Jersey

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.