Coronavirus Concerns

I understand and appreciate your concern. To ID them, I ask them to send me a copy (via their phone) of their driver’s license AND I meet them at the door. They do not have to sign my journal. I am RON commissioned within the State for all platforms. I’m not increasing my fees, only taking precautions (I wear gloves) and very little contact with the borrowers. If they have questions they call me while they are signing. I review and notarize the docs right after they return them to me. Also, I verify their signature with their ID. I know this is not the traditional way. BUT remember we are public servants. Helping others complete a Refinance or Purchase (Loan) could really help them now. I believe I’m following enough steps to ensure the actual borrowers are the borrowers. If I think/suspect something is not right, then I will not continue.

1 Like

I had a signing for 4PM today. When I called borrower to confirm, I asked the first question, “have you or household members returned from international travel within the last 14 days?” He answered “yes”! I told him I would have to decline and he sounded confused and hung up. I have an immune-compromised daughter and I will not take a chance of exposing her.
The problem is that it was a Signature Closing Sync and I sent emails and phone calls out. No one responded. Over an hour later, I rec’d a call and the woman asked “is there a problem?”. Doesn’t anyone read or listen to what we are telling them? I usually have no problem with Signature Closing except contacting them is so difficult. They don’t mind driving me crazy with texts and emails while I’m on a signing.

Being a mobile notary we are moving from one house to another. This creates a huge potential to not only infect yourself but also has the possibility of the notary becoming a carrier. Remember that anyone can be infected but not have any symptoms. Add to that that the virus can stay active on paper or cardboard for 24 hours.
Realistically speaking if you have 4 signings in one day and the first person has the virus but shows no symptoms, technically you could carry this to the next 3 signings. Also you have to handle the paperwork which adds an additional risk not only to yourself but to your family.

Within the past few days I received several emails with regards to performing window or curbside closing. The general procedure is listed below.
This still concerns me. Covid 19 stays on paper or cardboard for at least 24 hours. Even if he signer passes the documents back to you, at some point in time you still have to handle the paperwork.
Personally I think this is dangerous especially with regards to how fast this is spreading.
(The CDC just came out with guidelines for takeout that the paper or container it came in should be immediately discarded and then proceed to disinfect your hands. Discard their utensils and use your own) What does that tell you about paper. Paper has been long know to be the courier of germs.

JMHO

1. The signer will show identification through a window of a vehicle or the home.
  2. The signing agent will deliver two sets of documents which have been handled with gloves to the signer, using social distancing concepts.
  3. The signer will sign one set of the documents in plain view of the signing agent as the witness and will deliver the signed documents back to the signing agent, using social distancing concepts. The second set of documents will be a copy for the signer.
  4. The signing agent will complete the notarization of the documents from the other side of the window.
  5. Signed documents will be delivered back to the client via scanbacks (when required) and shipping (Fedex/UPS).
1 Like

I believe if you bring your own table and you do the signing through a window and on the phone you should be covering yourself legally. I am buying a portable table and bringing a lawn chair for just this purpose.

1 Like

You have a very good point. Both my daughter and I are at high risk but I still need to work. I plan to wear gloves and toss them when I am done, before touching anything inside my car.

1 Like

I need to work (part-time) but I also want to live. My savings will cover me for a period of time. I’m 70 years old and controlled diabetic 2 with meds and diet and relatively healthy. Do I want to push the envelope of exposing myself or others to this virus? Hell NO! I’m sure there will be plenty of work going forward in the next few months. Recent numbers show everyone is at risk ~ not just elderly and those with other under lying medical conditions. It all comes down to personal choices. Two of my adult children are working of their homes ~ my third adult child is in one of those mandatory occupations having to go work each day. We all maintain good hygiene methods, take supplements to support our immune systems, and most importantly discard all clothing into laundry after being out in public and shower as soon as we come in the door. Be safe all !

2 Likes

I don’t know if there is a penalty for not obeying this. I wouldn’t risk it, but, call your local health admin or some dept for that. There is a reason for this “shelter in place” and you need to consider everyone’s health.
Good luck.

the journal must be signed so if doing multiple signings a day they are handling the journal correct? i realize that financial employees are essential to keep the industry going. our business could get even more busy with people trying to take extra money out of their homes to keep their homes and their finances okay during these tough times. I feel it is an obligation to try to assist in any way we can just like the first responders.

i’ve done 2 since last week. i drop the docs at clients door, call them from the car & go over where to sign. get pics of IDs then drop the docs directly. it takes the edge off but makes the closing longer b/c the client has all docs in hand and tends to skim over EVERY page, where normally the notary can flip through what is not needed.

Don’t know what state you are in but in Washington State young people are getting this disease and some are dying. Information changes daily so dangerous to quote data that may be old.

Lot of Notary Contractors such as First American Title. Are you Fidelity approved? Does help.

I have sent several responses to title companies that send out what we should do. We cannot give the borrowers the docs and not be able to view them signing the docs. Whatever way we do that. I pulled up to a borrowers garage in my car, they set up a table and chairs in their garage. I put the docs 6 feet away went back into my car and watched them sign. I had their copy with me so I was able to walk them through the signing. That way I could notarize and acknowledge they signed

I have decided to stay home. We are now under “Stay at Home” orders. Notaries are considered essential. Think the title companies are working in their offices together? Think again. They are working out of their homes. Is it worth taking these lowball fees (which I would never take anyway). Believe me, I need to be paid just as much as anyone else. My choice has to do more with getting others sick. We don’t know what we are walking into regardless of what you are told. Personally, I live with a 66 year old diabetic. My parents are seniors. I’m not in my 20’s anymore. I could never forgive myself if in my need to be paid I got someone who I love sick. I choose love and life over money. We will make it through this if we all do what we are being urged to by the medical community. They know what they are talking about. Is this really worth risking your life and the life of others - perhaps your loved ones? This is a time like no other in our history. Choose love and life. Choose to do what’s right for everyone, not just yourself. Lastly, I truly believe that these “drive by” closings are going to come back and bite anyone who does them.

Essential Workers
Received this document from one of my partner institutions a few days ago. This after receiving the same “Door Delivery” protocols from several of the partner institutions I work with. I am over 70 years of age, but I don’t have any fear of working through this health crisis (I also hold an advanced degree in Public Health Sciences, which helps understand how the scientists are talking about this as opposed to the media). However, my family doesn’t feel the same way so after Governor Inslee’s “stay home” order to workers over 65 years, I made the compromise to my family that I would do my part for 2 weeks, then reassess my risks after. However, I did send an email to partner management after receiving the above referenced document and asked them to consider the following:
• Like any other essential workers put on the front lines during a time of social crisis, our work is not without certain risks
• Under these conditions, when the risks are to our personal health that can potentially be deadly, we will be working under hazardous conditions
• Most of us Notaries are self-employed and in many instances these jobs are our only source of income, which means we will not qualify for unemployment benefits
• Nowhere have I seen any information to indicate that the self-employed, or those of us receiving SSI will qualify for the $1,200 relief benefit being offered as part of the CV-19 stimulus package
• Like most shift workers or hazardous duty positions, I believe that the Administration and/or employers should consider those of us who are independent contractors (like most notaries) to qualify for these benefits when expected to answer the call of duty. I would hope that our Contract Partners will be applying for these loans/grants from the government to pass those funds along as incentive pay to those of us who respond to the request to help keep the industry alive.
In addition to these issues regarding incentive pay, we need to also consider what happens if responding to these requests for services we get sick. Especially if as independent contractors many of us don’t have employer paid insurance, unless it is through a primary job or partner employer. How do we mitigate the difficulties posed with the possibility of someone who signed with us getting ill and pointing to us as a possible exposure risk, which they didn’t have prior to our arrival. There is a lot for us to consider here and I’m certain each of us will come to the decision that’s right for us. Personally, the appearance of stigma (and in some ways insult) associated with the proposed “Door delivery” is not for me. I will either accept the risk or pass on the job, and no amount of financial incentive would make a difference. There is the temptation of a lot of work at this time, and I heartily believe we should be handsomely compensated for our risks and the jobs we are doing, even if any potential elevated compensation is just for a period of time that will pass with the waning of the virus. So, to this chorus I add my voice.
Good luck to all of you. I’ll see you on the front lines.

I totally agree with your statement. I’m also home in WA State and was bored and flipping TV stations. To my delight found out on public station discussing Port of Bremerton, Airport will be expanding and Amazon building a new facility. I have done signings in that area and betcha new subdivisions will be developing. People take a ferry to Seattle from Bremerton and homes go for $1million plus. In Kitsap County (Bremerton area) same type new home will sell for mid $370’s and with double car garages and large yards. Kitsap County is being invaded even with downward trends. People are selling those $1million homes. I will consider this time off my vacation prior to be super busy in the next couple of months. Darn ~ now I have to do all those chores I’ve been putting off. :blush:

1 Like

Notaries are essential. No question about it in my mind. However if any notary has a personal opinion whether they agree with their government deeming notaries as essential, or if any notary has made the personal decision to pause notarial services for personal safety reasons, that is their right of course and I support that right 100%. With this pandemic, there is extra urgency for many people to get their affairs in order right now. There are people who require Wills and POAs notarized, etc. I understand that. And there are people for whom purchasing a home or having their refinance completed will make all the difference in their families’ lives and the need signing agents who are willing to help them. I can certainly understand that too.

I saw someone mentioned having a latex allergy. Those with latex allergies might try nitrile gloves which can be found in local drug stores, Walmart, Costco, autoparts stores, Ace Hardware even. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/cleaning-and-disinfectants/cleaning-gloves/6199707?x429=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvcub8fbA6AIVGR6tBh1k2AS_EAQYAyABEgL7FPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hang in there, everyone. Stay positive; keep doing the best you can. That’s all any of us can do. Let’s please try to cut each other some extra slack. It’s so easy to misinterpret tone and intention online. I am sure no one is judging anyone in their personal decisions. ~Carmen

1 Like

The signing and title companies are paying me so much more, I got seller docs for !$125 and Refi’s for $175 to $220, it has been great for me. I am in Lee and Collier County,'s in southwest Florida.
I guess a lot of signing agents are not doing closings due to the virus. I wear mask and gloves to protect myself.

Arlene